YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-06-2006, 10:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Send a message via ICQ to MorphiasX Send a message via AIM to MorphiasX Send a message via MSN to MorphiasX Send a message via Yahoo to MorphiasX
Fuel filter will not come off!!!

I am changing my fuel filter, and I cannot get the line nut to come off. Its on the side that goes to the fuel tank, its a 19mm on the filter, and a 14mm line nut. I used a 19mm wrench to hold the filter, then used a line wrench (goes about 3/4 around the nut) to turn the nut. It will NOT turn no matter what I try. It ended up starting to round the nut with the line wrench! So I used vice grips, and a cheater bar, and it still will not come off! And I also sprayed it with WD40 in the beginning. What can I do?! Anybody else have this happen to them?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to photoleif
steve, that same thing happened to mine once (mechanic's report) -- they had to cut the line, clean, re-crimp and re-shape it, etc. the nut just wouldn't budge.
'95 Xtra cab 5VZ-FE swap | 33x10.50-15 BFG AT/KOs | 4" Superlift | ARB rear locker | OME torsion bars | Total Chaos idler arm and uniball conversion | Rancho steering stabilizer | Smittybilt front & rear tube bumpers | Sportsman topper | Aisin hubs | Dual Optimas | Extended diff breathers | Custom center console and jumpseat conversion | Bilstein 5100s | De-striped | Hella pencil-beams

sometime: retire the IFS

My truck page (offsite)
My buildup page
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-06-2006, 10:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

WD40 is NOT a penetrant! go buy some PB blaster and soak it overnight or two nights.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

I 2nd the PB Blaster. I haven't seen anything that a good soaking of Blaster over a couple of days wont take off.

2012 SR5 4Runner
1991 SR5 4x4
Old 03-07-2006, 05:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

I haven't been able to get mine changed for the same reason. Mechanic tells me they'll have to change both the in/out lines if I want to put the new filter on.

'03 Sonoma 2wd, supercharged 4.3L@9psi
'81 Turbo Trans Am, WS6, 301V8@9psi
Old 03-07-2006, 05:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

I ended up replacing both fuel lines when I did mine. The prior owner must have never, ever changed it.
1989 Toyota Extended Cab 4x4, SR5, V6 3.0 Auto, 33x12.50x15 WideTrack MTs, American Racing 15x10s, Rancho Steering Stablizer, 4" SuperLift Suspension, Yukon 5.29s, Detroit Truetrac LSD, ARB Bull Bar, PowerStop drilled rotors, ProComp stainless steel brake lines, Lund BugShield, Aisin Hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Pioneer HU.

My 89 Toyota 4x4
Old 03-07-2006, 06:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Changed mine at 148k, and it was a BITCH to get off. I let it soak with WD40 (yes PB blaster is better, but it was all I had) for about 20 minutes, and put my less than huge arms to work. Probably took me an hour total to change the damn thing.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Contributing Member

One thing that helped me get mine off after the nut started to round off was to file the sides of the nut down until the next smaller size line wrench fit nice a snug. I was just about ready to cut mine off when my neighbor got it loose for me.
93 4X4 ext-cab, auto, SR5, 3.4 V6, supercharged, 2.1" pulley, URD fuel mods, Aquamist WI, IPT valve body mod, dual cases, 4" superlift front, Alcan springs rear, 33 BFG KM2, ARB locked front & rear, 5.29 US Gears, RB 1" Body Lift, TJM T-17, Warn m8000.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned
Vendor Sales Rating: (0)

dude go to pep boys and buy a flare wrench set for $10. I couldnt get my filter nuts to budge at all until I used them. Also, I tried the 'ol tobasco sauce trick as well, the combination worked well.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus1
Also, I tried the 'ol tobasco sauce trick as well, the combination worked well.

2012 SR5 4Runner
1991 SR5 4x4
Old 03-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

yes, tabasco sauce works. i usualy dont give that advice b/c most people think im nuts when i suggest it
Old 03-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to surfmobile
you cant be serious about the tobasco sauce. if u are im gonna try it cause im having the same problem.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to photoleif
ok guys, what's up with the tabasco sauce? vinegar as a mild acid slowly chewing up the gluck?
'95 Xtra cab 5VZ-FE swap | 33x10.50-15 BFG AT/KOs | 4" Superlift | ARB rear locker | OME torsion bars | Total Chaos idler arm and uniball conversion | Rancho steering stabilizer | Smittybilt front & rear tube bumpers | Sportsman topper | Aisin hubs | Dual Optimas | Extended diff breathers | Custom center console and jumpseat conversion | Bilstein 5100s | De-striped | Hella pencil-beams

sometime: retire the IFS

My truck page (offsite)
My buildup page
Old 03-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to kpaxfaq
PB blaster will take anything off
Old 03-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Contributing Member

yeah, let us in on the secret! im planning on changing my fuel filter in the spring and i have a bottle just waiting.

lee

there are quite some attractive ladies on here with Toys. (compliments of ironmike)

ifsc 3(.0)

http://tlca.org
www.of4wd.com
www.sontt.com
Old 03-07-2006, 02:52 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
02, change, changing, filter, fuel, gas, hose, line, lines, loose, lose, nut, refuses, sonoma, wont