Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel filter replacement tips..for the novice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you use an impact wrench to remove flare nuts?
Old 07-30-2012, 10:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
on my 22re. it's above the starter right. i just left it unbolted and mounted it in front of the starter. ( AFAIk- you can leave it dangling or sitting on the frame rail w.o any issues) when i go to change it ( wont ever have to now) i just unbolt stick the appropriate sized impact socket to it and reverse. works like a charm never damaged one either.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:48 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
A 3VZE uses flare nuts to attach the lines to the fuel filter. A 22re uses banjo bolts (and the filters are different).

Using an impact wrench on a fitting torqued to 22ft-lbs? Well, good luck with that!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:24 PM

Fuel line blues..

While repairing a TanK sending unit, I desided to replace the filter. Whoever the warped hilarious soul was who thought it placement was amusing, they owe me much time in the next life.
While the info I gathered was helpful, the presence of n older repair to the line using American size fittings really made this job one of the worse, drawn out and dirty jobs I've ever done, and I had my first job out of high school climbing down sewer manholes.
The 20 year old metal lines are all now worthless. If you attempt this, plan on them all failing if you see rust in the fittings. Scrap the Toyota replacement filter, a Chevy blazer filter will work for the job and has barbs on both ends. Use injector hose and clamp them to the tank, filter and right up to the fuel rail.
Remove the parking brake cable, jack up the axel, remove the gas cap, and Efi relay and neg battery cable. Save the gas in a bucket and use it for your lawn mower.
If its gonna go, it will now. Check the EFI relay, OCR relay, and the fuses when you go to pressure up the system. This system does not operate over 40 psi so ont get talked into $8 a foot high pressure fuel line.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:16 PM

Different Denso Part Numbers

Changed my fuel filter today at about 190k miles on my 86 4runner 22re. Went to the dealership and ordered one, was around 50 bucks. Well, the old one comes out without a hassle but as I am installing the new one I realize things are slightly different. Come to realize they are actually two different denso part numbers. Old: 186100-1100. New: 186100-1101. The brackets on the new one are thicker, resulting in the need for longer mounting bolts. Also, the u-shaped brackets that keep the banjo fittings from rotating are in different radial positions. The new filter wants to route the outlet line between the mounting bracket and the engine block, whereas on the old one the line ran to the passenger side of the filter. There was not enough line to use this new configuration, so I tightened the outlet line at the same radial position as the old filter, not sitting in the u-shaped bracket. The result of this was that when tightened, the channel through the center of the banjo bolt did not line up with the fuel line. I figured there would be no fuel flow in that case so I installed a third crush washer.

Now it lines up, and the truck starts. But I am left with a miniscule fuel leak there (does not drip at idle, just appears barely moist). I am hesitant to drive the truck like this. Is that a leak that will fix itself, as mentioned in an earlier post?

Has anyone noticed these mating problems with the Toyota fuel filters they've bought? Upon Google searching the old Denso part number I found no results whatsoever.

If anyone would like pics I can get some tomorrow, though those of the new one might not be so great: it's sitting above my starter.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:48 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
I doubt a fuel leak will correct itself (other than by incinerating everything around it -- not what you're looking for).

I'm not 100% clear on your setup (and I don't know much about the 22re), but I'd be a little concerned about stacking crush washers. (your "third" washer) Can you tell if that is where it is leaking?

This site shows the Toyota part no for the '88 as 23300-39035. Are you sure you have the right part?
Old 08-27-2014, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Routing it between the bracket and the filter does not sound right at all. i would verify again that I got the correct filter. If that is correct, I would get a Wix filter from a parts store or any other brand that is the same style as the old one.

If it has an arrow on the filter, the arrow should point toward the fire wall. If it has In and Out on the ends of the filter, the In goes to the front of the truck and the Out goes toward the back of the truck.

Just use new crush washers on each side of the banjo fitting for a total of two for each banjo. Stacking them is risk a leak.

Also the line coming from the tank goes to the front of the filter and the line coming off of the fuel rail goes to the back of the filter, that could why your line is short.

Due to the battery wire being powered up is why you need to disconnect the battery as fuel will drop down on it.