Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel Filter nut looks stripped ... next step?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Filter nut looks stripped ... next step?

Hey guys,

So picked up a new fuel filter today since it is on my list of things to replace to try and fix some of the fuel delivery issues I am having. When I got home, i got under the truck so soak the nuts on either end in penetrating lubricant to make my life a little easier. The nut on the back end of the filter looks fine other than being rust colored. The nut on the front was another story. It is covered in rust, and it appears someone tried to take it off but it was seized so all they ended up doing was rounding the corners of the nut. I put a wrench on it to give it one try after soaking it for an hour or so, and it starting rounding the nut even more so I am thinking that nut is effed.

My question is whats the next step? I would rather not take it to a shop but i am starting to think I may need to. Is there something I can try before caving and paying someone to look at it?

Thanks for any help you can offer, it is seriously appreciated.

Cheers
Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 PM

Cut it off a few inches forward, run to you're local auto store, but a new fitting for the filter end, probably some new line, and a compression fitting of the correct size to rejoin the line.

Shouldn't take more than an hour including the trip to the parts store.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:03 PM

Excellent, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the info Niall.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I really would not use a compression fitting on a fuel line but to each there own.

In any case it would not pass inspection here.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I really would not use a compression fitting on a fuel line but to each there own.

In any case it would not pass inspection here.
Is there another type of fitting you would use to join the sections of fuel line together? or would you simply replace that entire section of fuel line?

I am hoping I do not need to replace the entire fuel line, simply because of the amount of effort required to get to and undo the line at the other end. I may try and compression fitting (or possibly another type of fitting) and see if I can make it work, and at some point will replace the entire line.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:23 AM

You could get a flaring tool, and flare it. But honestly, a compression fitting is more than enough for a relatively low pressure fuel line.

I would trust a compression fitting more than a piece of rubber line, and hose clamp, which i'm sure there are DOZENs of out there.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 AM

just use a pair of vise grips on it and replace the line later down the road when your doing a major repair and you've got some more room to work. who cares if its ugly and stripped as long as it doesn't leak.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:08 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by 2toys
just use a pair of vise grips on it ... who cares if its ugly and stripped as long as it doesn't leak.
!!
It will leak. (The fitting is brass; once squeezed hard with pliers it will be distorted.)

But I could be wrong. But put it this way: if I'm wrong, you'll have wasted about $10 installing a new piece of line (they come with the fittings pre-attached, in a selection of lengths). If I'm right, you'll die a horrible, fiery, death.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I had to replace the whole fuel filter assembly used one with a changeable filter element.

I take it this is a fuel injected engine of the newer style with the filter along the frame rather then on the engine block??

this is not the banjo fitting style filter??

The easiest fix is get a barbed fitting threaded for the filter I can`t remember thread size . then a length of fuel injection hose and the correct clamps.

I have never had luck trying to flare old steel tubing same with a compression fitting on old rusty steel tube.

As a emergency fix to get home maybe but taped real good with electrical tape the duct tape.:jessica::jessica:
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by 2toys
just use a pair of vise grips on it and replace the line later down the road when your doing a major repair and you've got some more room to work. who cares if its ugly and stripped as long as it doesn't leak.
My problem is that its in such a crappy location that I cant even fit my pair of vice grips up there to get it off. I am just going to cut it and get a compression fitting to joint the two sections. I will keep tabs on it and if it starts to leak then I will replace the whole line.

Thank for the help guys
Old 02-20-2013, 08:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
All this speculation and the OP doesn't even tell us what engine it is for...
Old 02-20-2013, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by 4runrjunkie
My problem is that its in such a crappy location ...
Originally Posted by snobdds
3VZE, can't ya tell?
Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 AM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Use the compression fitting and while your at it.. relocate the filter to more user friendly spot. Like towards the engine about a foot.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:16 AM

the filter has a metric threads, so if you are replacing the fitting that goes into the fitting, it is metric. the rest can be standard, and I would rent a flare tool at advance autoparts for free.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by snobdds
Sorry i had actually assumed the 4cyl fuel filters were in the same location, so i didnt think it mattered. But yes, I have the 3vze
Old 02-20-2013, 01:54 PM

Alright so I bought the stuff required to repair the fuel line (8mm fuel line, 14mm nut fitting for the filter, 8mm compression fitting for the joint). I got home and cut the old one out at a good spot for a compression fitting. I took the fuel filter out, and then finally managed to break the fuel line free with a vice on the nut and a massive wrench on the fuel filter. I took out my pipe bender and matched the bends in the replacement lines to the ones in the old line, test fit it to make sure everything lined up, put the new filter in, snugged up the nut on the inlet line, went to set up the compression fitting, and the damn sale's person sold me the wrong one!! grrrr ... he sold me a 5/16 instead of an 8mm because he figured they were exactly the same. I only realized it when I went to use a metric wrench and none of them fit properly. Now I gotta hop on a bus again and bus down to the store just to get the right fitting so i can finish this job. I am also pretty sure he sold me a 5/16 fuel line, but the bill says 8mm for both the fuel line and the compression fitting so I cant be sure. I am hoping the size difference in the lines doesn't screw over the compression fitting, although I am pretty sure it will be fine.

On the bright side it looks pretty good haha. I'll snap a photo when I am done.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by wcasey5
the filter has a metric threads, so if you are replacing the fitting that goes into the fitting, it is metric. the rest can be standard, ...
"Standard"? I think you mean "SAE." I'm not sure there are any non-metric parts on any car or truck made in the last 20 years, even the "American" ones.

And since the only tools you're ever going to use on your Toyota are metric, mixing up SAE fittings will have you cursing yourself very quickly ...
Old 02-20-2013, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
"Standard"? I think you mean "SAE." I'm not sure there are any non-metric parts on any car or truck made in the last 20 years, even the "American" ones.

And since the only tools you're ever going to use on your Toyota are metric, mixing up SAE fittings will have you cursing yourself very quickly ...
There are some SAE fasteners, but the point being that if you go to the local parts place, the 8mm line and fittings look a lot like the 5/16 stuff they have in stock. Easy mix up if you are not prepared, like you said.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
!!
It will leak. (The fitting is brass; once squeezed hard with pliers it will be distorted.)

But I could be wrong. But put it this way: if I'm wrong, you'll have wasted about $10 installing a new piece of line (they come with the fittings pre-attached, in a selection of lengths). If I'm right, you'll die a horrible, fiery, death.

um maybe it would leak if you smashed on it like an idot. i had this same exact problem no leaks that was a couple years ago. still haven't replaced the line.

oh and if the fitting was brass how then would it be rusty?
Old 02-20-2013, 08:57 PM

I dont know if anyone has covered this, but I just did this change myself. I converted a long section of the fuel lines to soft nylon. I am hoping the change of lines will make this a lot easy to change in the filter in the filter. Just a thought for you.
Side note, I found all my fittings and line from either Ace Hardware or Lowes, was a lot cheaper then a Carquest or Napa.

Last edited by jtderoo; 02-20-2013 at 09:01 PM.