86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel filter not 'normal' replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter not 'normal' replacement?

I went to a Toyota dealer the other day to have them replace the fuel filter and change the oil in my 95 4Runner and the service manager says 'that not something we normaly do". He calls tha parts department and said that they don't have any in stock either and I'm like WTF???

Does this sound right?

The only thing more retarded then this is my Maxima with a non serviceable fuel filter in the tank.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
They say it is "good for the life of the vehicle" but they are full of crap. I got a replacement from www.sparkplugs.com.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:40 AM

wow I cannot believe that....seems like a pretty shady dealership. Even though it is not something they would 'normally' do they should do it if you wanted it done. After all they would be getting paid for the work. Just get the parts and take it somewhere else if you don't want to do it yourself
Old 02-04-2009, 10:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It is considered a lifetime filter, but the parts department can get a replacement. My dealership did not stock it either, but they did bring it in for me. I replaced the one on my 2002 4Runner, and I cut the old one open to get a look at the filter element. It was pretty dirty, so I felt good about replacing it.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They're not easy to change on the 2nd gen runners, the tubenuts often rust in place on the tubing. So a wise technician will ignore the fuel filter if it looks rusty.

Otherwise, you'd be in for a world of hurt. Remember, you cannot heat the fittings on a fuel filter like you could on a brake pipe. If the tubenuts get damaged and need to be replaced... replacing the tubing is the proper repair.

First thing you should do is climb underneath the truck and spray down the filter tube nuts with some penetrating oil. Liquid Wrench, PB blaster, or whatever, but not just WD40. Clean any dirt or goo off the fittings before you squirt them.

Then phone up the parts dept and ask them to order in the filter for you. The genuine filters have a lot more media inside them than aftermarket stuff. Sometimes twice the amount!

If the dealership doesn't want to change the filter, I don't blame them. Just find another shop.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:06 PM

Unless you are running mud through your tank you should not need to change it. Thats right, flame away, but fuel injected engines that have the pump in the tank do not accumulate crap the way old carb engines do (most mechanical pump carb engines have a straight pipe to the fuel in the tank, filter at the carb or along the fuel line). The filter screen on in-tank pumps is so fine that next to nothing except liquid will go through it.
If the truck has been sitting for years with fuel in the filter then I could see having a problem.
Also, the fuel is under pressure from the tank at 30+ PSI so it will take a LOT of crap to plug it to the point that the injectors are starving. I agree with Toyota.

Last edited by Flash319; 02-04-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
could be worse; could have to change a 22re fuel filter

yeah, Toyota claims lifetime part, but did they realise their vehicles would go 300k miles + ???

a filter's a filter... they get clogged after a while assuming their doing that they are suppose to be doing... that's my opinion...
Old 02-04-2009, 05:11 PM

they can call it whatever they want but lifetime holy crap when i changed mine out i only got fuel to squirt out one end and i had both ends open i opend the one near the motor first and a drip or two came out then i opend the one near the tank and i got sprayed with fuel and it was black as it came out
Old 02-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fireman1559
they can call it whatever they want but lifetime holy crap when i changed mine out i only got fuel to squirt out one end and i had both ends open i opend the one near the motor first and a drip or two came out then i opend the one near the tank and i got sprayed with fuel and it was black as it came out
I replaced mine a while ago, and to be honest, fuel flowed from both sides fairly easily. But ya know, I'm a "while you're in there" guy. I had the intake manifold off, and on the 22re's, once you remove the manifold, the fuel filter literally stares you right in the face... plus, it's peace of mind...
Old 02-04-2009, 05:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
have to stop and think... fuel pump continuously circulating fuel and 'sediment' through the system... some of that sediment is going to get forced through the fuel injectors, what doesn't, is going to return to the tank to get circulated yet again... yet sediment WILL eventually build up both in the tank and the filter.
... and for the most part, vehicles are expected to last 100k-200k miles, thus the 'lifetime' qualification for the filter.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
could be worse; could have to change a 22re fuel filter

yeah, Toyota claims lifetime part, but did they realise their vehicles would go 300k miles + ???

a filter's a filter... they get clogged after a while assuming their doing that they are suppose to be doing... that's my opinion...

Changing the fuel filter on a 22RE is not that hard, it only takes about 30 minutes to do.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:24 PM

I replaced mine a while ago, and to be honest, fuel flowed from both sides fairly easily. But ya know, I'm a "while you're in there" guy. I had the intake manifold off, and on the 22re's, once you remove the manifold, the fuel filter literally stares you right in the face... plus, it's peace of mind...

on the 3.0 its on the frame rail on the passenger side and well it can be a pain in the a$$ if you dont spray them down with PBblaster but yea i changed mine shortly after i got the truck and they guy i got it from said it had been sittin for 2 or 3 years hence why i changed it.

ah ok i see what you are talking about the "lifetime" fuel filters but still back to the first post common sense dictates that you need to replace the fuel filter after so long and if you have over 150,000 miles its even more reason to change it but that is my opion still they should have them in stock for the people who really care about and know about their vehicles some people think if i change the oil every 3thousand miles my motor will run good but over look the other things that matter aswell
Old 02-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by myyota
Changing the fuel filter on a 22RE is not that hard, it only takes about 30 minutes to do.
right... any other NORMAL fuel filter will take what, 5, maybe 10 minutes?

they just picked a horrible spot to mount it I think... total PITA to get to...

maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I had like, 4 elbows and 3 wrists

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 02-04-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they just picked a horrible spot to mount it I thinkg... PITA to get to

.. or the proper tools. Ever hear of "crow's foot"? They look like flare wrenches but are attached to socket ratchets. They work wonders in tight places.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Flash319
Unless you are running mud through your tank you should not need to change it. Thats right, flame away, but fuel injected engines that have the pump in the tank do not accumulate crap the way old carb engines do (most mechanical pump carb engines have a straight pipe to the fuel in the tank, filter at the carb or along the fuel line). The filter screen on in-tank pumps is so fine that next to nothing except liquid will go through it.
If the truck has been sitting for years with fuel in the filter then I could see having a problem.
Also, the fuel is under pressure from the tank at 30+ PSI so it will take a LOT of crap to plug it to the point that the injectors are starving. I agree with Toyota.

There is no such thing as a life time fuel filter, i don`t care how fine the filter sock on the fuel pump is, fine pieces of crap in the tank can still get throught it, so its rediculous to think that fuel injected engines don`t accumulate fine pieces of dirt and what ever else in the tank. Fuel filters do need to be changed, fuel injected or carbed it doesn`t matter.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by abecedarian
.. or the proper tools. Ever hear of "crow's foot"? They look like flare wrenches but are attached to socket ratchets. They work wonders in tight places.
yeah well, I don't own a set of crow'a feet, lol

I know precicely what they are... it's still a PITA to get any tools in and around the area of that filter...

quit arguing, admit it, you know it's true
Old 02-04-2009, 05:31 PM

they just picked a horrible spot to mount it I think... total PITA to get to...

I will agree that they are a pain in the butt to change and it would have been nice if they put it in a better spot, but we just have to deal with it.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by myyota
I will agree that they are a pain in the butt to change and it would have been nice if they put it in a better spot, but we just have to deal with it.
or relocate it like I've seen done a few times
Old 02-04-2009, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When an OEM says lifetime they mean 10 years or 150,000 miles.

I think this is a worthwhile maintenance activity but be prepared to replace some fuel tubes as well.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by PCE91V64x4
When an OEM says lifetime they mean 10 years or 150,000 miles.

I think this is a worthwhile maintenance activity but be prepared to replace some fuel tubes as well.
below the salt belt you wont have to replace fuel lines when you replace the fuel filter mine wasnt bad at all just a pain to to because of its location now if you clean the underbody of your truck when you get back from muddin you wont have as many problems with stuff like that not sayin you dont just from what ive seen