YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-2013, 02:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Front Third Member... New to the game

Okay guys I'm new to this who third member game... Need some help have a 1988 Toyota 4x4 V6 IFS, with 4.88 gears in the rear and i need to replace the front to match. My question is, would it be "cheaper" to take the gears I have and have someone put them in or would it be easier to just but a whole new 3rd member and How hard is it to remove 3rd member, if I just wanted to replace the whole thing?

Any help is good help to me!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

it was far cheaper to find a existing 4.88 third and put the whole thing in... I did swap the half shaft tube from my old 4.10 third onto it though so I didnt have to rig up the ADD ˟˟˟˟ to keep my locking hubs functional

the trick to getting it out/in is knocking the studs out of the inner side of the axles, then dropping the diff/front crossmember out together.

when you put it all back together replace the studs with bolts so you dont have to beat them out next time
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Teuf
I have an 88 ifs diff you are interested, there 4:10. You can get it rebuilt and still drive the truck until you install? Just sayin.

1988 Toy pu 4x, 22re, 5:29 gears font and rear, BFG 33/10.50/15 AT'S, American racing 15/8's rims, Downey Header, Borla Exhaust, Centerforce dual friction clutch, Magnaflow Cat, Schneider Cam, Spectre open cone air filter, 3" TG SAS, 3" NWOR Rear leafs and 6" shackles/added leafs. 12 / 10 " Bilsteins, SR5 Bucket Seats, Transfer case E brake. Lce head installed 5/09, Rotella t6 5/40 Syn / Toyota filter - 90915-YZZG3. / USMC /
Old 08-15-2013, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

And other front driveline stuff, I did an SAS so its up for grabs.

1988 Toy pu 4x, 22re, 5:29 gears font and rear, BFG 33/10.50/15 AT'S, American racing 15/8's rims, Downey Header, Borla Exhaust, Centerforce dual friction clutch, Magnaflow Cat, Schneider Cam, Spectre open cone air filter, 3" TG SAS, 3" NWOR Rear leafs and 6" shackles/added leafs. 12 / 10 " Bilsteins, SR5 Bucket Seats, Transfer case E brake. Lce head installed 5/09, Rotella t6 5/40 Syn / Toyota filter - 90915-YZZG3. / USMC /
Old 08-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Threadstarter [OP]

Teuf- Sounds good. How could I get it from you? How much does it weigh?
Old 08-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok where are you? Unless you can drive here I will have to ship it. Weight about 75 lbs.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1988, 3rd, front, ifs, instructions, member, replacement, replacing, toyota