Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

front shakes/wobbles

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front shakes/wobbles

hey guys new guy here have a problem hope u guys can help got a 91 pickup 4cyl with a str8 front the other day I was driving and I hit a pot hole and the front of the truck started to wobble at about 30mph as I slowed it went away got home check the tires not loose It drove fine after until iI hit Apot hole again. conversion done 2 years ago trail gear kit no problems before this need some help thnxs
Old 05-16-2009, 09:59 PM

Steering dampener? sounds like its shot, hit the hole, shake a bunch, then fine. Replace it, or upgrade to a dual set up.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:56 AM

ditto
Old 05-17-2009, 06:53 AM

I used to have a bad problem with shakes in my Grand Cherokee. If you had a wheel that was slightly off balance in the front it would get VIOLENT shakes if you hit a pothole or something, especially in a turn. Since you have leaf springs I'd agree with the steering stabilizer as your problem.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I dunno. I've never run a steering stabilizer on any of my SFA trucks cause it never has needed one. Sounds like you might have other steering issues, bad TREs or your wheel bearings are loose/shot.

Jack up the front end and check the tire movement (wheel bearings) and look at your TREs.

Old 05-17-2009, 07:24 AM

wheel out of balance? but im driving with tsl's that arent balanced. on the hwy the steering jerks a bit bbut i dont think its safe in the rain
Old 05-17-2009, 08:15 AM

only way to check is jack it up and see whats loose like wabbit said.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I dunno. I've never run a steering stabilizer on any of my SFA trucks cause it never has needed one. Sounds like you might have other steering issues, bad TREs or your wheel bearings are loose/shot.

Jack up the front end and check the tire movement (wheel bearings) and look at your TREs.

X2 - It isn't an out of balance tire, or else you would feel it all the time at specific speeds.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
X2 - It isn't an out of balance tire, or else you would feel it all the time at specific speeds.

Not always. The out of balance wheel caused the wobble if I'd hit a good sized bump and if it was during a turn it would get so bad that I would have to slow down to get it to stop. It's a VERY common thing in Grand Cherokees known as "death wobble". If he's running unbalanced tires I'd say that's at least gotta be a possible/partial problem, but that's just me.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

Last edited by Justinlhc; 05-17-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:46 AM

not running a steering stabilizer and just got tires balanced 2 months ago Ill check wheel bearings today . Jacked up truck yesterday check tires for wobble up/down no play side2side theres a little play ..
Old 05-17-2009, 01:17 PM

What kind of shocks are you running? Are they in good working condition? Any chance you lost a wheel weight when you hit the pothole?
Old 05-17-2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
Not always. The out of balance wheel caused the wobble if I'd hit a good sized bump and if it was during a turn it would get so bad that I would have to slow down to get it to stop. It's a VERY common thing in Grand Cherokees known as "death wobble". If he's running unbalanced tires I'd say that's at least gotta be a possible/partial problem, but that's just me.

But you had a wobble before the bump. Yes an unbalanced tire..Believe me I know what death wobble is. I have experienced it first hand with numerous friends vehicles along with my own. Death wobble is caused by more than an unbalanced tire, other issues need to be in place to cause death wobble.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
But you had a wobble before the bump. Yes an unbalanced tire..Believe me I know what death wobble is. I have experienced it first hand with numerous friends vehicles along with my own. Death wobble is caused by more than an unbalanced tire, other issues need to be in place to cause death wobble.
Huh? Were you there? No, actually I had no other problems other than an unbalanced tire. After I had the tire balanced the problem went away. I could hit a bump with NO wobble happening and it would give me bad death wobble. Never even came close to happening again after I had the tires balanced. It's pretty common for an unbalanced tire to cause DW in a coil suspension, at least for Grand Cherokees. Tons of people on the jeep forums will agree.
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=261532
The next possible cause of the shimmy comes from the balance of the tires. If your front tires weights have been knocked off by an extreme rock crawling incident, you may wish to have them rebalanced. Also as these big mud tires wear down, they loose a lot of there weight, and this can also cause them to come out of balance. For the most part this is the main cause of the shimmy, but not always.
http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/dw.html
Unbalanced tires. Once again, as they start throwing the axle around, the only way to stop it is going to be by slowing down.
Anyways it was just a suggestion and he already said he recently had his tires balanced so I'm pretty sure we can rule it out now.

Last edited by Justinlhc; 05-17-2009 at 03:02 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
caster issue? steering axis inclination / scrub radius out of spec?
wheel offset too far from centerline / not enough backspacing?
poor shock jounce dampening?

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-17-2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:51 PM

not wheel bearings got new shocks on . never had this problem before. everything is fine till I hit a hole the front wobbles when I slow down It goes away. The truck has high steer maybe the steering gear box is dead or need to upgrade to a better steering system..
Old 05-17-2009, 10:07 PM

Tighten your shackles
Old 05-18-2009, 06:03 AM

[QUOTE=Justinlhc;51142191]Huh? Were you there? No, actually I had no other problems other than an unbalanced tire. After I had the tire balanced the problem went away. I could hit a bump with NO wobble happening and it would give me bad death wobble. Never even came close to happening again after I had the tires balanced. It's pretty common for an unbalanced tire to cause DW in a coil suspension, at least for Grand Cherokees. Tons of people on the jeep forums will agree.
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=261532

I get it, but we are not talking about a coil sprung Jeep.

Last edited by cubuff4runner; 05-18-2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:12 AM

What is your draglink angle like?
Old 05-18-2009, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Justinlhc

Death wobble in front, coil sprung vehicles, like Jeeps, is almost always caused by a track bar (panhard bar) problem, usually the bushings.

Fred
Old 05-18-2009, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by seanmearse
Steering dampener? sounds like its shot, hit the hole, shake a bunch, then fine. Replace it, or upgrade to a dual set up.
A steering dampener is never that cause of a wobble, it may mask it, but it's never the cause.
The cause is usually loose steering components, often bushings, tre's, ball joints, etc.

A steering dampener in not needed in a vehicle with correctly setup front end.

Fred

Quick Reply: front shakes/wobbles