Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Front end Rattle now with some grinding noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end Rattle now with some grinding noise?

Hello all, new guy here. Recently purchased a 91 4runner V6 with AT and Automatic Hub 4x4( Not sure if this is right, has the lever inside to switch, no manual hubs). There is a Rattle that seems to be coming from the front driver side. Had suspension checked and it needs work, Tie Rod etc. Replaced the ball joints also.

Anyway, the rattle (now with an inconsistent 1to4 second grind) happens only in 2wd and when hitting bumps. Big or small. Can't really hear it at faster speeds though. With 4x4 on it does not do it at all. Took it to a few shops to have it looked at. One shop told me Transfer Case and that was it. Others think it could be the CV Axle or Bearings.

There is a lot of play in the wheel if I move it from the 3 and 9 Position, not much from the 12 and 6. The truck has no shake or vibrations in the steering wheel.

Besides that I love this truck. Thanks in advance and it is good t be here.

Last edited by CHANKITO; 12-11-2009 at 04:26 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:32 AM

if you have play its probly a wheel bearing
Old 12-11-2009, 05:06 AM

I would say wheel bearing too, but it could be as simple as the 54mm nut being loose, casuing the bearing to not be seated and stable.

Take off the add flange (The part of the hub with the 6 bolts and cone washers. You'll have to pry or knock the dust cover off to get at the center bolt.) Beneath the flange, you'll see a really big pair of nuts (Is that sig worthy?) that hold the hub assembly onto the knuckle. Check them and make sure they're tight. If there tight, remove the nuts and replace the bearing behind them. (you'll have to remove the break caliper at this point.

HTH!
Old 12-11-2009, 09:22 AM

Thanks for the input! Just got in from another shop and they did a thorough inspection on the front end. They even let me get under the car to have a good look around. What they said and I saw is, everything looks ok. Driveshafts look nice and tight. Car needs front suspension for sure. But my friend and I can handle that.

One thing they did notice and forgot the exact name of it is, Some kind of linkage under the tranny is lose, and could be causing the rattle noise.Shop manager said it is nothing to really worry about. I may have misheard the grinding noise due to mud or snow. Will keep checking for that.

After listening for the noise while driving with head out window(Which sucks with the cold weather btw lol) I can hear it coming more from under the middleish part of the car as oppose to the front. Will also check that nut. Gonna do the the other Ball joints soon. So will do it then.

Thanks again, will keep you posted.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:10 PM

Well, got the front suspension done. Truck runs great now. I am having the Wheel bearings checked this weekend but I think it may be the transfer case. Was driving really close to a wall to see if I could hear the grinding noise. I did and it sounds more like Gears trying to engage for a second or two. I'm really hoping it's not the T Case, Shifting is perfect. everything engages fine. It only happens when I hit bumps.

Kinda upset if it will be the T Case. Not sure what to do. Guess I will take it to the shop and see what they say.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:50 PM

Had Aamco check the truck out. They said Trans and T Case are in good shape. The rattle noise seems to be from the Transmission mount that seems to be worn some. That would be the rattle noise I heard more towards the middle of the car. Could explain why the other shop thought T Case. They had told me all that rattle noise was coming from there. Not so much worried about that right now.

Now the part i don't agree with them. They said the grinding noise was coming from the rear Driveshaft. They had someone inside put it in gear and accelerate while i was under it. At what seemed a high speed I did hear some kind of grinding noise coming from there. Nothing major and definitely not what i have been hearing. Made less sense to me as I was driving back home. their noise was constant at the high speed. Mine is Random when hitting bumps at pretty much any speed. And it also doesn't do it when 4x4 is on. Would a Wheel bearing have these kind of symptoms?

Afterwards went to my mechanic friends house and did some test. Took turns standing outside to hear where that Grind was coming from. Pretty sure it is from the driver side front wheel. Gonna take it apart this weekend and check the nut and if it looks like crap gonna change the bearings.

I saw the write up of changing the spindle bushing. i can't find that part anywhere, any ideas?
Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Edit. The noise is not so much a grind, but almost like a gear type part being loose and trying t re-engage itself. Weird huh? I just want it to be fix so i can enjoy my Yota lol

Last edited by CHANKITO; 12-16-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:35 AM

Ordered the Bushing and Bearing, Just waiting on it to come in. May not be till next week with the holidays approaching. Did go out yesterday in the snow. Damn these things are nice. Wish it would be as quiet in 2wd as it is in 4x4. I hope this fixes the problem. Keep you all posted.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:23 PM

Ok, had a chance to taer into it a bit today. Not enough time to fix anything. I did locate the sound though. The "Gear on Gear" Grinding noise. Not the Diff, or Trans or Tranny thank goodness. The grinding noise is comig from the cv Axle. In the manual it is the "Rzeppa Type CVJ" Still not sure if the bushing itself is shot. Will check it out after I pull the Cv out tomorrow. May replace that as well.

Finally got to replicate the noise with the Truck up on jack stands and manually spinning the tires in 2Wd and with the car off. So glad it will be this and nothing too big. Thank goodness for this site and all the info available.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:16 PM

Sweet Sweet Silence. Sucess!

Well I can finally drive in peace...For now at least. Fixed the problem. It was the Cv Shaft. Now the thing drives as smooth as a 18 year old, 158k mile truck can hehe.