Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Front End Dilema?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front End Dilema?

I have to SAS prematurly due to an IFS failure, haha and dont have the time rebuild it with new gears and the locker i have. So If i get the matching rear diff from the 85 with the same gears will this just bolt into my 1988 4runner rear? the front end ill be hanging is functionable so ill rebuild, regear and lock later. So with the 85 front end hung, and 85 rear installed into my 88 housing all ill have to do is worry about the front drive shaft right?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:19 PM

So to simplify and bump this to the top. If i get the trail gear IFS eliminator kit all ill have to worry about is the front drive shaft for right?and will a 85 pickup or 4runner rear diff bolt directly into my 1988 4runner rear axle housing without any changes like to the rear drive shaft or anything? the reason for this is so i have matching ratios untill i have time to regear and lock
Old 03-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Justinvd
So to simplify and bump this to the top. If i get the trail gear IFS eliminator kit all ill have to worry about is the front drive shaft for right?
If you are on a budget, look for how to build a "square" front driveshaft. Very cheap and very strong.

will a 85 pickup or 4runner rear diff bolt directly into my 1988 4runner rear axle housing without any changes like to the rear drive shaft or anything?
A 8" Toyota diff is an 8" Toyota diff. So, you should be fine swapping 3rds.

You may have a pinion flange bolt pattern problem though. I know Toyota changed the U-Joint dimensions over the years. Would just require you to redrill the flange though... so not the end of the world.

the reason for this is so i have matching ratios untill i have time to regear and lock
You know of course not to drive in 4WD until your ratios match.. right?
Old 03-06-2008, 09:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elvota
A 8" Toyota diff is an 8" Toyota diff. So, you should be fine swapping 3rds.

You may have a pinion flange bolt pattern problem though. I know Toyota changed the U-Joint dimensions over the years. Would just require you to redrill the flange though... so not the end of the world.

You know of course not to drive in 4WD until your ratios match.. right?
Its the autos that have the change in flange pattern and thats only in the t/case output for the rear i believe. I had that problem once before ordering driveshafts. I talked to the guys at High angle drivelines and they comfirmed that. Atleast for the older (95 and older use the same diff bolt patterns)
Old 03-06-2008, 10:01 PM

[QUOTE]So with the 85 front end hung, and 85 rear installed into my 88 housing all ill have to do is worry about the front drive shaft right?/QUOTE]

Pretty much. like elvota said don use 4wd till you re gear to match or youll blow your t/case and possibly more.

I drove with 4.10's in front and 5.29's till I re-geared and could use my 4wd again
Old 03-06-2008, 10:23 PM

Yeah, thank you very much for the input, i dont intend to put another penny into my ifs and thats why i am doing this so quickly. I have the tools and almost enough money just not the time. So im just gona get the basic SAS done and thats why i was wondering if i could just get the third out of the doner truck to match the front so my 4wd would be functional untill i could regear and lock wich is my plan. i really appreciate the suggestions
Old 03-06-2008, 10:28 PM

The work to get the IFS out and SAS in isn't too bad time wise. If you have weekends to do at least some work and you have a welder or access to one you should be good to go and be done with it till you can re-gear pretty quick.

The basic SAS will be far superior to your old IFS so youll be good to go there also for some time
Old 03-06-2008, 11:10 PM

The ifs eliminator kit comes with new vented rotors. So does that mean you use the original calipers from the 85 or the calipers of my 88 ifs? Im just trying to clear this all up, im sorta flustered but want to get my plan set.

And last of all, What kit should i go with? Ive bin reading reveiws and now im not so sure about the Trail Gear kit

Last edited by Justinvd; 03-06-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The ifs eliminator kit comes with new vented rotors. So does that mean you use the original calipers from the 85 or the calipers of my 88 ifs?
You use the IFS ('88) calipers on the new rotors.

What kit should i go with? Ive bin reading reveiws and now im not so sure about the Trail Gear kit
I think they are all very similar in design. TG used to include more parts for service at a lower cost. There may be a difference in quality, such as bearings... but you'd have to research that a bit more.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:44 AM

Maily trail gears parts are shipped over seas in bulk to sell big amounts at lower cost. Marlin make great quality kits I would recomend. Allpro, offroad solutions, Wab fab, ect pretty much all sell decent kits. Ide say marlins though just because they have been doing it for a very long time and its great parts. The service can be iffy but they are great people and same with trail gear. They are all good. BTW trail gears shop is huge and have stock piles of stock. I bet they would be the fastest shipped kit