Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Front bumper design

Old 10-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front bumper design

So today I started designing my new front bumper and if it looks like it will sell I will be making it part of my new line of TOYOTA 2 GEN front bumpers (can be made to fit 1st and 3rd/4th gen as well just need dimensions and mounting point locations or sold as is you add the mounting points for your truck) .
As of now I am thinking of calling it the Sportsman and it will have a few little design extra not found on regular bumpers.
I have one almost complete but here are some pictures of it in mock up form and wanted to let you guys on YOTATECH help with input and design ideas.
So please look at it and let me know what you would or wound not do to make it better.
I will be adding some nice thick recovery points in the final design but they are not on there yet so beyond that any input from the loyal Minoans here would be greatly appreciated.
Also give me an idea of what you would be willing to pay for a bumper like these. They will be made of 3/16 or 1/4 steel for strength and durability.

HERES THE MOCK UP VERSION

THE BIG HOLES ARE FOR HOLDING DRINK'S AND THE LITTLE HOLE'S ARE USED FOR HOLDING FISHING POLE'S. THE BLINKER CUT OUT'S WILL FIT A STOCK BLINKER.

THE BUILT IN WINCH PLATE CAN HOLD A FAIRLED ROLLER OR A HALWES FAIRLEAD AND WILL ALSO SERVE AS A MOUNT PLATE FOR A 2" RECEVER.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like you've got a farily good design on your hands. it might also be pretty cool to recess-mount some auxillary lights into the bumper between where the turn-signals and winch on each side, just my 2 cents...
Old 10-21-2007, 08:45 PM

I dont know about the cup holders and rod holders....but some recessed lights would be nice. Kind of hard to tell if ide like th ebumper without it mounted ON a truck. But its also made out of cardboard, so thats hard to do.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:48 PM

yeah, seems like the cut-outs for cupholders may be a bit to much, but the rodholders may come in handy. but try to get a shot with it on your truck, as that'll give ya a better view of the situation at hand.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:51 PM
CJM

Build it beefier around those holders imho, box them or something.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:53 PM

i love the look... and i'm diggin the rod holders and cup holders as i do a lot of fishing. about how much would you be looking to charge for one of these baby's?
Old 10-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mikes19984x4
looks like you've got a farily good design on your hands. it might also be pretty cool to recess-mount some auxillary lights into the bumper between where the turn-signals and winch on each side, just my 2 cents...
What size lights do you think would be right for it?

Originally Posted by Tacoma750
I dont know about the cup holders and rod holders....but some recessed lights would be nice. Kind of hard to tell if ide like th ebumper without it mounted ON a truck. But its also made out of cardboard, so thats hard to do.
drink and rod holders could be elimianated and again light size you think would be best.

Originally Posted by mikes19984x4
yeah, seems like the cut-outs for cupholders may be a bit to much, but the rodholders may come in handy. but try to get a shot with it on your truck, as that'll give ya a better view of the situation at hand.
want to get all the ideas worked into it or out of it before building it don't want to try plasma cutting with it mounted on truck.

Great input so far guy's keep it coming
Old 10-21-2007, 10:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 95RunnerSR5
i love the look... and i'm diggin the rod holders and cup holders as i do a lot of fishing. about how much would you be looking to charge for one of these baby's?
What do you think is a fair price to pay for one??
Old 10-21-2007, 10:46 PM

looks good! i could go for one! not sure about price though
Old 10-21-2007, 11:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 94Runner4x4
looks good! i could go for one! not sure about price though
What do you think is a fair price trying to get an idea I know most are asking 5-600 for a good bumper but I was thinking 400-450. Is that fair?? give me some input on price.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:35 AM
Drama Queen/Banned

I'm not really to keen on the drink holders. After driving the front my truck has so much heat I don't even want to put a cold drink near it. Ones beer might boil away on that bumper. You could just call them hotdog warmers.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have been modifiing my TJM bumper to allow better air flow to the radiator and its starting to look very similar. I would recommend a piece of steel plate over the top of the winch to stiffen up the outside edges of the bumper. That way if someone bumps a rock or God forbid another vehicle the bumper ends won't flex up and dent the fender. Making it stiffer will also allow someone to use a high-lift to jack the front end off the ground. Something like this:

Old 10-22-2007, 07:42 AM

As for lights...even just a few small circle cutouts to fit in a 4 inch foglight or something. Price? If your welds are great and the quality/fit/finish looks good...Ide buy one for $400
Old 10-22-2007, 07:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Jeez, I would probably build it out of steel. That plastic doesn't look like it would hold up to much abuse.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:41 PM
Banned

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. So this is how it is made. Thanks for the idea. YotaTech rules!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:44 PM
Contributing Member

Well guy's and girl's I got a quote on the metal today and it's gonna be a bit more then I expected.

I got a total of $250.00 for the metal alone then I still have to get wire for the welder and had a air line exploded so the plasma cutter is down till tomorrow.

One of them if anything can go wrong it will days , Anyway the point is to sell these it is going to be expensive I now think if I sell these its going to be $500.00 to make it worth while but it will also be YOU decide how you want it a custom style deal.

If anyone would be interested I hope to have at least mine done by Friday night.
Mine will be a bit different then most because it will be set up for the control box for the SMITTYBUILT winch I just bought.

Anyway here's a few pics of the new design I will be using for mine.
I work till 11pm every night so I will be doing this all between 11 and 5 am so it may not get done as soon as I hope but stay tuned as it comes together.

Last edited by olharleyman; 10-23-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

Have you considered putting the control box on the inside the bumper out of sight and just leave the plug out?
Something like this:

You may need to extend the wiring some though.

Yeah steel is getting expensive all right, I've been going to the scrap yard for most of my steel (20 cents a pound there)
Old 10-24-2007, 05:33 AM

I can't see any of the pictures on the very first post...

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I have been modifiing my TJM bumper to allow better air flow to the radiator and its starting to look very similar. I would recommend a piece of steel plate over the top of the winch to stiffen up the outside edges of the bumper. That way if someone bumps a rock or God forbid another vehicle the bumper ends won't flex up and dent the fender. Making it stiffer will also allow someone to use a high-lift to jack the front end off the ground. Something like this:

That's a really tuff (awesome) looking bumper you got there. You make that from scratch yourself MTgoat?

Last edited by corvey; 10-24-2007 at 05:35 AM.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by corvey
I can't see any of the pictures on the very first post...

That's a really tuff (awesome) looking bumper you got there. You make that from scratch yourself MTgoat?
Nope, I started with a used TJM T-17 and made a few modifications.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Nope, I started with a used TJM T-17 and made a few modifications.
Old thread , no pics ............................(sad)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front bumper design