Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Found a Killer deal - Fram AirHog High Flow Air Filter for $4.49

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Found a Killer deal - Fram AirHog High Flow Air Filter for $4.49

Hey All,
I'm new to the site but I'm on my 5th 4x4 Toyota (3 FJ's, 1 pickup and now a 95 4runner). Anyway I was looking for a filter to let my runner breather better and I came across a really good deal on a Fram AirHog RockAuto.com has them on wholesale clearance for our trucks for $7.49 plus shipping. Then if you check out their deals and rebates, they have a $3 mail in rebate on any Fram filter. I?m in for one at $4.49 + shipping. Beats $30 at Autozone. I just thought I?d share.

-WarDriver-
Old 07-31-2007, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not to fond of fram as they seem to be talked about alot for not being a good filter. I never used them but, What do the rest of you think of this deal?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

I'm not to fond of fram i have a K&N air filter and there are a good number of people here that don't like them. The only thing i like about fram is that non-slip grip stuff on there oil filters.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:52 AM

I'm not too fond of their low end filters either. But between springing for a $30 filter for $5 vs the $50 for a K&N I'll go with fram for now until I find someone selling a used K&N...
Old 07-31-2007, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

If you are talking about a stock 3.0 V-6, I think I can help you out with that K&N - send me a PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:03 AM

Oh...
I also found a $20 rebate on this product. So, essentially, I'm getting a $30 product and $13 in cash.

Link[http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/...6932_.pdf/URL]
Old 08-08-2007, 05:28 AM

Ok...so I installed my Fram AirHog. Before I was getting about 16.3mpg on the highway w/ the AC on. After the install I was dialed in at 20.6mpg on the highway with the AC on.

4.3 mpg gain. I'd say that is very significant.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This thing looks pretty much like a K&N; it's the same shape and you oil & clean it like the K&N.

And their website has a hot chick.

I'd like for someone to actually COMPARE the two - instead of just saying they do or don't like some brand. Maybe I'll buy one and give it a whirl. I do usually find a lot of dust when I wheel, so it wouldn't hurt to carry a second filter. It would save having to wash out a filter if I don't have a lot of water or time to spare.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by wardriver
Ok...so I installed my Fram AirHog. Before I was getting about 16.3mpg on the highway w/ the AC on. After the install I was dialed in at 20.6mpg on the highway with the AC on.

Wow, that's a 26% increase in gas mileage. What type of air filter did you have on there before the Airhog?
Old 08-08-2007, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im calling BS unless your old filter was COMPLETELY clogged before you changed it.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:02 AM

FRAM, K&N =
Old 08-08-2007, 09:03 AM

Running your A/C isn't going to make a difference in gas mileage anyway, you can factor that out
Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by guapo83
Running your A/C isn't going to make a difference in gas mileage anyway, you can factor that out
?? running AC does use energy from the engine so it will decrease your gas mileage (vs windows closed, no AC)
Old 08-08-2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by engineerjoe
?? running AC does use energy from the engine so it will decrease your gas mileage (vs windows closed, no AC)
Your A/C compressor is always turning regardless. Its already been proven that it doesn't matter, in fact driving with the windows down, decreases your MPG
Old 08-08-2007, 10:26 AM

Your A/C compressor is always turning regardless. Its already been proven that it doesn't matter, in fact driving with the windows down, decreases your MPG
Running the A/C will make a difference. It may not be much but it will make a difference. The engine is always turning the compressor pulley, but when you turn the A/C on the compressors clutch engages the pulley, and causes more drag on the engine.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:53 AM

go watch mythbusters. they tested with AC vs. Windows down. the truck with the windows down ran way longer than the truck with the AC on. same amount of starting gas in the same make and model or SUV on the same test track.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by sweetdiesel
Wow, that's a 26% increase in gas mileage. What type of air filter did you have on there before the Airhog?
Toyota branded filter...and no it wasn't clogged.

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
Im calling BS unless your old filter was COMPLETELY clogged before you changed it.

I didn't believe it either....I ran the numbers twice.
Old 08-08-2007, 01:04 PM

I've also found a $20 rebate which obviously trumps the $3 rebate.

Link

Also, use coupon code 692405622909 for 5% off.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by curly_c
go watch mythbusters. they tested with AC vs. Windows down. the truck with the windows down ran way longer than the truck with the AC on. same amount of starting gas in the same make and model or SUV on the same test track.
No, I think it was the other way around. The truck with the windows down ran out first. I've been running my A/C for weeks now, everyday and have noticed no difference in gas milage, even on the hottest days
Old 08-09-2007, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He said it was on both times, so he had no change to "factor out." He simply stated one of the constant factors in his comparison, in case you wanted to know.

Mythbusters, hearsay, folklore... irrelevant.
What is relevant is that a running compressor does consume energy, so there should be a decrease in fuel mileage between windows up, air on vs. windows up, air off. Granted, that will be very small for level highway driving at constant, moderate speeds where the engine can efficiently generate a little more power. When you're doing stop/start driving or goosing it or going too fast (faster = higher drag = more horsepower required just to move), it will not be as efficient to demand that extra 1/3 HP. (I'm guessing 1/3 horse, what size of motor does your average window unit compressor have?)

Mythbusters may have done a good job (they usually do pretty well) for whatever vehicles they tested. But unless they tested a 2nd gen 4runner, their findings are irrelevant to this discussion because the efficiency depends on the coefficient of drag of the vehicle in the windows up vs. windows down configuration. For modern vehicles, the coefficient of drag is usually designed to be lower when the windows are up.

I've started driving to work at 60 mph instead of 65-70, and have observed an increase of about 2.9 mpg: From 220 miles/17 gal tank (12.9 mpg) to about 270 miles/17 gal tank (15.88 mpg).

So if wardriver slowed down (that's common to do subconsciously when you know you're measuring mileage), plus the ~ marginal gain expected with the filter, he could indeed get a 4.3 mpg increase.

Note, he didn't say whether he slowed down or not but I think he would have mentioned that...

Quick Reply: Found a Killer deal - Fram AirHog High Flow Air Filter for $4.49