Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Flipped my 2nd Gen into the ditch...Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flipped my 2nd Gen into the ditch...Advice?

Well, I was going down the highway cranking at 3K RPMs trying to get up to speed, not paying attention and my rear-end started to slip...Just a second after I felt it slip, I was into a full .45 slide across the highway... Crossed the on-coming lane and flip my truck end over end into the ditch. I was doing 48 mph when I lost control...

It ran for too many seconds too long and now its toast......

I was the only one in the vehicle, I am perfectly fine. No back or neck pain to speak of... I flipped it this past Tuesday... I didn't break ANY windows, no cracks or anything. The only thing that broke my was bug/rock deflector on my hood...

I know I could swap another 3.0 in there but that will end up costing somewhere around $2500-$3000... So, whats the point after going that far? I'll still be stuck with an underpowered, slow, gas guzzler (12mpg average) I might as well get a different vehicle...

Now, I was at the local used car dealer last night (they do all the major work on my truck. My dad is good friends with the owner, the owners son is my karate teacher, known the whole family for years blah blah...

Anyways, the only thing they really have that I would be in the market for is a 1996 Chevy Tahoe...

Previously mentioned karate teacher traded this truck in not too long ago (maybe 3-4 months ago) And he owned it for 2 1/2 years before that... He took very good care of while he owned it.

The dealer sold the truck to an illegal, he fried the engine, they put a brand new gopher 5.7L V8 in it, illegal got the truck back, month later fried the tranny...

Current Situation on this thing...

200K on the body (in very good shape)
About 191 miles on a brand new Gopher Engine.
130K on used transmission
Good tires
Chrome rims
Captains chairs
Nice interior
Aftermarket fancy cd player blah blah blah..
13mpg - 17mpg

$4995.00.....

What do you guys think? Any advice??? I'm very saddened by current events... I miss my slow gas guzzler....
Old 01-16-2010, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
well, I HIGLY doubt you're going to get BETTER gas milage with the Tahoe

could always drop in a 3.4 for half the price of that Tahoe, and get BETTER MPG than that Tahoe will ever get, and probably just as much power, lol

Old 01-16-2010, 06:28 AM

Its gonna have to be up to you brother. I mean the tahoe will be fine and there decent trucks. It will def have more power than your 3.slow but, it will never be a toyota. Your gas mileage realistically will be about the same or worse depending on how you drive.

2-3k seems a little steep for an engine swap. I guess not from a shop, but if you have the tools or the skills and time, you could easily do it yourself for less than 1000. Probably less than 500 even if you found some smoking deals.

Also going back with the same engine, it should be pretty much plug and play.

If it was me i would swap in a 5vzfe but thats me, and that will cost you 2-3k
Old 01-16-2010, 08:43 AM

i have a 95 gmc and the best gas milage i have been able to get is 14. i love the truck it rides better the the yota but it still is not a yota.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mileage...mileage...mileage
Old 01-16-2010, 01:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
If mileage is what you're after, go buy a honda.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The Tahoe is a solid, reliable vehicle, but very heavy and hence will use a lot of gas. 3.4 swap will be significant work, plus, are you SURE there's not significant damage to the body? Usually flipping end over end does some damage, sheezh.

So, why not part out your current truck - that will net you some decent cash, and then spend $5-7k on a 96-98 4runner that already has the 3.4?

http://autotrader.autos.msn.com/fyc/...standard=false
Old 01-16-2010, 03:46 PM

Don't get me wrong guys, I would LOVE to have my truck with a 3.4... The thing is, its going to cost 2-3K and a lot of time... Time is something I don't have...

As far as gas mileage goes, even if I got only 14mpg on average, that's a lot better than the 3.0... The MOST I've ever gotten out of my 3.0 was 19.6 and that was a miracle that only happened ONCE and it was over a year ago... The closest I've EVER gotten to that since then has been just a hair over 15mpg... That was on a 2 hour long trip too.

3.4 on the other hand - Long wait time, but good gas mileage (for what it is)...

I could NOT do the engine swap myself. I don't have an indoor shop or a cherry picker to do it. I spose I COULD pull the old 3.0 with my dads little skid-loader but that's iffy lol.

Yes, the body damage on my truck after the flip over is very minor... it was a very soft landing...

Ughh... I just don't know what to do...
Old 01-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Banned

I say just get the 3.4 swap and hitch a ride with the folks to school or whatever for the mean time
Old 01-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wake2wake623
Its gonna have to be up to you brother. I mean the tahoe will be fine and there decent trucks. It will def have more power than your 3.slow but, it will never be a toyota. Your gas mileage realistically will be about the same or worse depending on how you drive.

2-3k seems a little steep for an engine swap. I guess not from a shop, but if you have the tools or the skills and time, you could easily do it yourself for less than 1000. Probably less than 500 even if you found some smoking deals.

Also going back with the same engine, it should be pretty much plug and play.

If it was me i would swap in a 5vzfe but thats me, and that will cost you 2-3k
No way can you do it for $500. getting a 3.4 will run you $800 (if really lucky) to $1,200. Then you need to get a wiring harness or make one. Making one is a nightmare. So set aside about $700 for that. Then you need the exhaust crossover built. Again tons of time, or you can have it done. So yeah $2-3K is about right to swap in a 3.4 when you have others doing the work.

IMHO the 2nd gen is the worse wheeling vehicle toyota makes. It is heavy, prone to tippyiness and the 3,0 sucks. I would NOT settle for the Tahoe. Press this dealer. They can go to auctions. See if they can pick up an early Tacoma which will have the 3.4 and an extra cab. If you need the cargo room, well anything you get is gonna suck at gas mileage.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:07 PM

[QUOTE=JohnRaven;51336232]Don't get me wrong guys, I would LOVE to have my truck with a 3.4... The thing is, its going to cost 2-3K and a lot of time... Time is something I don't have...

As far as gas mileage goes, even if I got only 14mpg on average, that's a lot better than the 3.0... The MOST I've ever gotten out of my 3.0 was 19.6 and that was a miracle that only happened ONCE and it was over a year ago... The closest I've EVER gotten to that since then has been just a hair over 15mpg... That was on a 2 hour long trip too.

3.4 on the other hand - Long wait time, but good gas mileage (for what it is)...

I could NOT do the engine swap myself. I don't have an indoor shop or a cherry picker to do it. I spose I COULD pull the old 3.0 with my dads little skid-loader but that's iffy lol.

Yes, the body damage on my truck after the flip over is very minor... it was a very soft landing...

QUOTE]Ughh... I just don't know what to do...[/

Why don't you call the "illegal" paisano. and ask him for help?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:05 AM

ok this doesnt sound to right he ROLLED his truck but didnt break any windows or tear up the body in any way shape or from just broke his bug deflector on his hood. and he isnt hurt or in any pain from the roll? i rolled my first yota at about 5mph on a steep hill and i had to knock the roof out with a sledge and replace all 4 windows and take my doors off cause the roof and body were so messed up. but he was going 48mph for one thats very exact but still thats way faster than what i was going and right now the laws of physics are against him no way does about 5,000 pounds roll across concret or asphalt and not get crunched like a soda can even with a roll cage he still would have busted a window or something all that energy and just one piece of plastic broke on his hood? even guys that roll there trucks at like 20 do damage like hood needs to be replaced or even the windshiled but not this guy 48mph and his truck JUST fried the motor that just doesnt sound right to me. 48mph doesnt give you a soft landing ive been with the volunteer fire dept for alot of years and there is no such thing as a soft landing unless you are pushing your truck back over after it rolled
Old 01-17-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by fireman1559
ok this doesnt sound to right he ROLLED his truck but didnt break any windows or tear up the body in any way shape or from just broke his bug deflector on his hood. and he isnt hurt or in any pain from the roll? i rolled my first yota at about 5mph on a steep hill and i had to knock the roof out with a sledge and replace all 4 windows and take my doors off cause the roof and body were so messed up. but he was going 48mph for one thats very exact but still thats way faster than what i was going and right now the laws of physics are against him no way does about 5,000 pounds roll across concret or asphalt and not get crunched like a soda can even with a roll cage he still would have busted a window or something all that energy and just one piece of plastic broke on his hood? even guys that roll there trucks at like 20 do damage like hood needs to be replaced or even the windshiled but not this guy 48mph and his truck JUST fried the motor that just doesnt sound right to me. 48mph doesnt give you a soft landing ive been with the volunteer fire dept for alot of years and there is no such thing as a soft landing unless you are pushing your truck back over after it rolled
''volunteer fire dept for alot of years'' Then you would know the DIFFERENCE between FLIP and ROLL. There is a difference you know. I did NOT roll it... I FLIPPED IT... flipping means end over end, not side to side, make sense?

It was a soft landing, I landed in who knows how many feet of snow... I flipped it end over end ONCE (1) (ONE)...

Yes, the laws of physics were against me, many other things were too. Its a miracle I didn't ROLL down the highway into oncoming traffic or hit someone head on. I am thankful to be alive. I'm even more thankful my wife and son were not in the vehicle with me.

Thanks for being critical and adding absolutely nothing of help to me or this thread other than ''ohh this guy is full of s**t this never happened''.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll get lots of opinions on a forum, so if you're gonna expose your problem to the public... put your sunglasses on... if your skin is thin, put on a coat.

it sounds like you just want transportation with low cost of acquisition.

CRAIGSLIST and buy from a private party, and buy smart, below market, and have your potential vehicle checked out by a good smart mechanic.

i wouldnt' TOUCH something that's been hacked back together like that tahoe.

so, need a 4Runner? get a third gen... they come with a 4cyl, 6 cyl, auto, 5speed, 2wd and 4wd. I got one for 2100 bucks, and its great!

Need a truck? Get a Taco. you'll pay a premium for it more than likely, just because pickups seem to command a higher price than 4Runners.

need killer mileage and reliablity? Get a late 90s Honda Accord or Civic. You won't get those qualities in any "hauler" like a pickup.

good luck!
Old 01-17-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
take a deep breath be grateful you didn;t die during the accident. it can be a rough situation to deal with, trust me i have killed three toyota's two of which were BAD wrecks. park the runner out back until after winter, buy a cheap beater vehicle to buy you some time.... save up money, research, re evaluate vehicle needs
Old 01-17-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by 75k5toy
Why don't you call the "illegal" paisano. and ask him for help?
Italians are called "paisano"'s.....and I've yet to meet an illegal Italian!

Sorry, being 1/2 Italian.....had to mess with ya....LOL!
Old 01-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by misterzee
You'll get lots of opinions on a forum, so if you're gonna expose your problem to the public... put your sunglasses on... if your skin is thin, put on a coat.

it sounds like you just want transportation with low cost of acquisition.

CRAIGSLIST and buy from a private party, and buy smart, below market, and have your potential vehicle checked out by a good smart mechanic.

i wouldnt' TOUCH something that's been hacked back together like that tahoe.

so, need a 4Runner? get a third gen... they come with a 4cyl, 6 cyl, auto, 5speed, 2wd and 4wd. I got one for 2100 bucks, and its great!

Need a truck? Get a Taco. you'll pay a premium for it more than likely, just because pickups seem to command a higher price than 4Runners.

need killer mileage and reliablity? Get a late 90s Honda Accord or Civic. You won't get those qualities in any "hauler" like a pickup.

good luck!

And yeah I think it was a little insensitive for fireman1559 to add insult to injury. I can understand his question but he needn't assume you were full of BS with your story. When I ROLLED Tippy at like i dunno 3 mph I blew out the rear glass on both sides and warbled the roof. Other than that I drove off of hells revenge and then ran pritchett canyon the next day.

Last edited by Lysmachia; 01-17-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say get a 4.3 vortec. More power, most likely better mileage, very universal engine...

EDIT: Pretty sure he means a mexican...

Last edited by Mic09dcsm; 01-17-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
If you need a vehicle in a hurry, check out local auto auctions if there are any. I picked up a '90 4runner and I really didn't try that hard to win it, I actually thought I wasn't going to get the bid for $1250! Taxes, auction fee all total $1500. It needs some work but hey its a 20 YO truck!

As for 3.4, shop around, there are literally a ton of Toyota trucks and 4runners out there to be had. I've had my 98 for a few years now and I still love driving it. I only get upper teens but I do like the comforts and all the mods I have done to it, there are so many you can do, but I'm back here in the Gen 2 forum for a bit while I fix up my "new" 4runner! REALLY glad to know you made it out with only a wakeup call. The Lord has something planned for you!
Old 01-17-2010, 06:46 PM

No way can you do it for $500. getting a 3.4 will run you $800 (if really lucky) to $1,200. Then you need to get a wiring harness or make one. Making one is a nightmare. So set aside about $700 for that. Then you need the exhaust crossover built. Again tons of time, or you can have it done. So yeah $2-3K is about right to swap in a 3.4 when you have others doing the work.

IMHO the 2nd gen is the worse wheeling vehicle toyota makes. It is heavy, prone to tippyiness and the 3,0 sucks. I would NOT settle for the Tahoe. Press this dealer. They can go to auctions. See if they can pick up an early Tacoma which will have the 3.4 and an extra cab. If you need the cargo room, well anything you get is gonna suck at gas mileage.
Lysmachia, I was quoting 2-3k for a 3.4 later in the post . I quoted 500 if he was just swapping in another 3vzfe. It should be pretty much plug and play.

I dont think I would go back with a 3 slow though. To each his own. I think the Tacoma idea is great, but they are so dang expensive, I know thats why I dont have one.

Last edited by wake2wake623; 01-17-2010 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Flipped my 2nd Gen into the ditch...Advice?