Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

flexalite xtreme 180 on 3vze

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flexalite xtreme 180 on 3vze

The flexalite xtreme 180, if I can believe the hype, is supposed to be more powerful with better shroud and much better cooling than the much-despaired model# 165.

after a pretty good search, the only post I could find about a 3vze application for this install was back in 1995 by bigdirtdog:

"I just installed a Black Magic Extreme 180, because I heard of problems with certain models, the ones that are listed for your specific vehicle cause overheating. Due mostly to fan size all shroud covering is too small. The 180 covers the entire radiator and encloses better than the stock fan on my 94 Toy PU. It has been hot and humid in the Mid-Atlantic so AC is on full blast I set the Temp a little cooler than normal and runs extremely well even stuck in traffic seems too keep the air from the AC cooler and more comfortable".

I'm curious about whether any other 3vze owners have installed this xtreme version of the flexalite and hope to hear any install issues, thoughts, happy or not? THANKS

here is a review of this fan, and a link to the unit

http://www.4x4review.com/products/el...L-BMXtreme.asp

http://www.oramagazine.com/pastIssue...ex-a-lite.html

http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...c_x-treme.html

Last edited by taikowaza; 10-03-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

flexalite xtreme 180 vs taurus elec fans

maybe the taurus fans will be just as good as the expensive flexalite xtreme 180 series...if so it would save me at least $200!
for the 3vze which type would be better, the 16" Taurus/Lincoln
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LINCO...spagenameZWDVW
or the 18" mark VIII?? if there any any taurus elec fan owning 3vze owners I'd love to hear from you by PM or email -http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LINCO...spagenameZWDVW
Old 10-04-2007, 01:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=taikowaza;50631357]maybe the taurus fans will be just as good as the expensive flexalite xtreme 180 series...if so it would save me at least $200!
for the 3vze which type would be better, the 16" Taurus/Lincoln or the 18" mark VIII?? if there any any taurus elec fan owning 3vze owners [QUOTE]

I'd think that if they'd fit, the 18" would be a little better. But the 16" will be much more common, and easier to find, and probably cheaper.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Contributing Member

thanks stormin

thanks stormin!! I appreciate it! I have been searching a lot about the taurus fans, the mark VIII seems to be really nice, but I've hit a snag with the multispeed controller, I have gone to the website of DCControls and tried to find a vendor or location for their apparently excellent FK-35 35A Fan Control Kit, but neither the website nor the phone numbers I've been able to find have worked. I am thinking that they might be out of business. I have been able to find a flexalite multispeed controller but would prefer to go with the dccontrols that mastacox did such a good write up on if I can! if there's a new website for dccontrols or someone who sells them that would be great to know
Old 10-04-2007, 02:51 PM
Contributing Member

I have a different electric fan, It's off of a Dodge Avenger. It's a single 14 inch? fan. I dunno, but I tryed to rig it up to work on a thermostat, and it worked for about a week, but then it decided to quit one day. Now, I have it wired so that when I put my key in the "ON" position, the fan comes on. It does a good job of cooling my engine, I've only had it go above the center of the temp guage once, and that was lots of higher RPM(above 3000 for a while) and slow speeds. On the freeway, it runs cool. I forgot to mention that I did have to make some brackets so I could mount it in there. I'd like to eventually move to a Taurus, or Mark VIII setup, but I don't know how that install will go, and my fan works just great for now.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

cool

sounds good stormin' and I am encouraged by your success with the electric fan. after reading a whole lot of taurus posts (more than I could have imagined) I think that the current best situation is a volvo or taurus electric fan rigged with a variable speed controller, this seems to be the bee's knees and it works out way cheaper than a flex-a-lite (even the extreme version) which I would ultimately have been disappointed with anyway. There are plenty of fans waiting on ebay and the prices are very reasonable which is great, now the only thing is to find a vendor for the FK-35 Variable Speed Fan Controller Kit, anyone? The manufacturer's website is BROKEN and no reply to emails or calls.

Last edited by taikowaza; 10-04-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:18 PM
Contributing Member

Hope this helps:

http://www.dccontrol.com/fk35.htm
Old 10-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

DCcontrols FK-35

Thanks stormin, that link is an excellent 'how to' install page! I have checked that page, and the FAQ page, but other than those 2 pages the site appears to be down. There doesn't seem to be any page for buying the unit at all. I am not sure if they are even made anymore, some guys seemed to be complaining about the fact that emails were not returned and product not delivered...
if the FK-35 is no longer available what is considered the replacement for this, is there anything even remotely close to the quality of this model?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Huh......I tried calling and it just rings forever. It doesn't look too promising that they are still open. If you know anything about fans, or electrical stuff, you could try removing the fan controll stuff off of the Taurus, or Mark VIII. I'm not too great with that sort of stuff, but I can imagine that you could make it work with a little effort.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Contributing Member

oh oh. the last of the dccontrols fan boxes?

oh oh. crap. I just discovered this post from last month on pirate. this might explain why we can't get in touch with Brian and why it seems impossible to order a new FK-35 Variable Speed Fan Controller Kit. Seems like some people got pretty emotional. scroll down to post #269...gets even worse at #277
if anyone has a unit to sell please pm me. Brian if you can see this thread, not everyone is like that...please continue to make your fantastic products!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...293231&page=11

Last edited by taikowaza; 10-04-2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Flex-a-lite or some other manufacturer sells a controller for your application I would use that.
I wouldn't buy a controller from someone if the company is out-of-business because then you can't replace it if you ever have a problem.
I highly doubt Flex-a-lite is going anywhere, at least you'd be able to replace a burned up contoller.
I used a Flex-a-lite in one of my Trans Ams for over eight years with no problems and T/A's are notorious for overheating issues due to not pulling in enough air from those pretty swoopy noses and they don't have very well designed compressors for the A/C, that controller worked its ass off and was worth every penny.
Just my two cents!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for my 89 pick up 4x4 sr5 the say to use the 165 model , and alot of reveiws say to use the 180 model ? if i use the 180 model does if fit good or it need mods ???