Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

flex-a-lite 165 puller set up

Old 06-28-2009, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flex-a-lite 165 puller set up

I installed a flex a lite fan with the thermostat switch, the frikin thing is awesome, gas mileage is much better and top end is breathing new life, less downshifting (man trans) up hills blah blah, anyways I have also installed a f-degrees gauge in the dash since the c-h gauge is a big guessing game, just wondered if anyone had a good idea as to what temp to have the fan kick in?
cheers,
Chris
Old 06-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
What I did was let the truck warm up to normal and then turn the knob on the thermostat control till the fan came on and then backed it off. If it seems like the fan is coming on too much(but the temp guages are reading low or "normal") just back the knob off a little more. My probably comes on at like 200ish degrees which I think the thermostat opens at 195 ?
Old 06-28-2009, 02:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Do either one of you feel that the upgrade was worth the price? I'd love to get one but at 230$ it had better work wonders for the rig.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
The instructions on adjusting the kick-on-temp for the control unit I'm installing says the following (not word for word, but in a nut shell):

1) Turn the adjustment ALL THE WAY UP, as in it kicks on later and hotter

2) Start the motor while cold, and let idle and begin to warm up.

3) While the motor's warming up, keep your hand on the upper radiator hose. When the hose suddenly starts to heat up and get hot, then the thermostat has opened. At that point, go to you adjustment and start to turn the dial down untill the fans kick on.

This should give a good base point, and then you can play with the temp adjustment afterwards
Old 06-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Do either one of you feel that the upgrade was worth the price? I'd love to get one but at 230$ it had better work wonders for the rig.
YES!!! Of course, I scored mine off ebay for nothing. I would totally buy a new one though!! The only think that I DON'T like is the mechanical thermostat control. If it gets wet, it' will short out. I ripped that out and put in a digital control kit that you can get at any autoparts store.

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
The instructions on adjusting the kick-on-temp for the control unit I'm installing says the following (not word for word, but in a nut shell):

1) Turn the adjustment ALL THE WAY UP, as in it kicks on later and hotter

2) Start the motor while cold, and let idle and begin to warm up.

3) While the motor's warming up, keep your hand on the upper radiator hose. When the hose suddenly starts to heat up and get hot, then the thermostat has opened. At that point, go to you adjustment and start to turn the dial down untill the fans kick on.

This should give a good base point, and then you can play with the temp adjustment afterwards
Ahhhh, dude, isn't that kinda what I said??

Old 06-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Contributing Member

Junkers, you could always go with the Taurus fan mod too and that would be cheaper and I've read good results with that plus those are TWO speed fans!! You are always at the junkyard and should be able to find one easy!
Old 07-25-2009, 06:20 PM

I have a bit of a hook up on some parts so it was a very reasonable price, I put a proper gauge in my dash and have the thing dialed now, thanks for all your help, i REALLY like the manual shut off switch, although I do laugh at the fact that using another design switch can apparently damage the unit, pretty funny.
I actually initially set it up to run a little hotter than stock initially but I figure i don't need to be heating up that #6 cyl too much with 300k kilometers.
Bigblue, you're totally right though it runs pretty often, but ah whatever I just like the bolt on ease since I work on other peoples cars all week trail time beats repair time for me anyday, pretty happy with it so far.
thanks again for the input much appreciated
Old 07-25-2009, 06:24 PM

I get the basic adjustment though, Pretty much common sense I'm just a little anal when it comes to setup just wanted to have it set up as close to OEM N.O.T as possible. Once again thanks for your guys help.
cheers
Old 07-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nvboy
Bigblue, you're totally right though it runs pretty often, but ah whatever I just like the bolt on ease since I work on other peoples cars all week trail time beats repair time for me anyday, pretty happy with it so far.
thanks again for the input much appreciated
Mine use to run alot of the time, even on the interstate. I went thru and replaced the radiator, hose, sensors, fluids and stuff due to it being all original and now my fan hardly comes on and I'm much more satisfied with it. I do remember that "you have to use our switch" thing. I never did, never had an issue. Good to hear you had a succesful project!!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:00 PM

Yeah these fans are bad A**! Everytime it comes on it sounds like bees are buzzing since it is so loud! Ha still cools fantastic though!

If you are having issues with teh control unit or thermostat you cfan order a new one from flex-a-lite. I think they run about 20 bucks for the setup and it is all plug in.

I get mine wet all the time and it doesn't short so I hope you get that fixed.

Glad you like it though! I recommend this product to anyone. Nice upgrade for a decent price.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:00 PM

are the Taurus fans pusher or puller config?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:44 PM

I have been running one in my '94 4Runner 3.0, manual trans for about 10 years now. I have not had problems with it unless I am running the motor hard for an extended period-- say cruising up Monarch pass at 4500 rpm-- if I stay on it, it would overheat. Same is true when towing-- anytime you are really maxing out the hp output... just watch those temps. I have recently added a lot of weight-- by way of HEAVY axles and found that the fan does not keep up as well as the stock mechanical fan. I am actually thinking of switching it back to stock.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:49 PM

i have all way's wired mine full time

controllers fail i don't trust them plus turning on and off you fan is bad for it
Old 07-25-2009, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nashman00
i have all way's wired mine full time

controllers fail i don't trust them plus turning on and off you fan is bad for it
Sorry, but the Toyota factory charging system is not up to running that fan continuously. Even a nice Optima battery would not stay charged.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by NRandall
Sorry, but the Toyota factory charging system is not up to running that fan continuously. Even a nice Optima battery would not stay charged.
i have no worries on my truck since i have big body alt off a supra swaps in with no hassle at all and it has bena re wond to 180 peek amps

but yes the factory ty alt will do just fine and still bebale to charge the system

Last edited by Nashman00; 07-25-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 08:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i bealive the taurus fans are puller typ but they are PLENTY for any toy, seen people swap em in on dodges, that my next mod for both my vehiculars
Old 07-26-2009, 10:18 AM

As of yesterday, I've been considering the 165 setup, as the 16" Summit fan I've got isn't quite cutting it on steep grades in the 110 deg heat of CenCal. Not to say it isn't good, but those are extreme combos. Had to pull over twice to cool. Only takes about two minutes to get back to normal, but don't want to have to pull over at all! Even considering going back to the stock fan/clutch/shroud if that'll remedy it. Anyone with experience in these conditions with the 165 setup? I noticed that it's a direct fit for my Yota, but it doesn't even cover the entire radiator! What gives??
Old 07-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by qdude79
As of yesterday, I've been considering the 165 setup, as the 16" Summit fan I've got isn't quite cutting it on steep grades in the 110 deg heat of CenCal. Not to say it isn't good, but those are extreme combos. Had to pull over twice to cool. Only takes about two minutes to get back to normal, but don't want to have to pull over at all! Even considering going back to the stock fan/clutch/shroud if that'll remedy it. Anyone with experience in these conditions with the 165 setup? I noticed that it's a direct fit for my Yota, but it doesn't even cover the entire radiator! What gives??
If your heater core works turn that on full blast and then you won't have to pull over at all. The 165 fan does cover the whole radiator(on mine 22R-E) and has it's own mounting bracketry that ties into where the OEM shroud bolts too. It has a shroud that sits flush against the radiator with a rubber seal.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:31 AM

Really!??? The online pic I saw yesterday must've been generic, then. Can anyone (BluePile?) give me a shot of theirs installed? It'd be great if it was plug-n-play. Also, I have a 4 row radiator. Any thoughts on depth clearance?

Thanks, all. This may help me A TON if it'll solve my problem.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

No idea, you're a different body style but it should look the same. It is a tight fit and the ONLY problem I have was with the A/C compressor. If your motor mounts are worn or have excess movement you will likely smack the fan.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: flex-a-lite 165 puller set up