Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Flamethrower 3VZE Upgrade Injector Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 10:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Flamethrower 3VZE Upgrade Injector Review

Flamethrower sent me an upgraded set of Bosch 4 hole injectors to put into my 1995 4Runner 3.0 I bought an upper intake manifold gasket, pulled the EFI fuse, printed out the FSM procedure and had at it.

I only opened her up this far so that I could leave as many components on the passenger side connected. I removed the EGR and cleaned out all of the carbon and there was a ton of carbon built up in the intake from the EGR so I cleaned that as well as the gunk from the throttle body since I had it apart.

The old injectors were in pretty bad shape and a few of them left their grommets in the injector cup, so getting those out added some time to the job.

Luckily the injector cups come out easily and I could pop out the stuck grommet and clean all the cups since they were loaded with crud.

Here is the injector cup with the stuck grommet removed.

Old single hole injectors

New 4 hole Bosch injectors

Plugged right into the fuel rail, double o-ring works great

I reused all of the union bolts and metal gaskets without any problems. I replaced all of the small 4mm vacuum lines around the throttle body and egr etc. It took me about 4+ hours to do all of this. I checked all of the injectors before installing them, they all checked out at about 17 ohms all the old ones were 15 ohms. Both numbers are higher than the FSM, but since they were all the same I assumed it was right for the Bosch new ones. I cranked it up and if fired right off. It idled high about 1100 RPM until it warmed up and then it dropped to 750 RPM. No sputtering or dying, no problem with running too rich either. The exhaust seems right and it feels normal. I filled the tank up with gas so that I can get an accurate first reading on it for MPG. I usually get around 13-14MPG about 200mi per tank, but I have big tires and haven't installed my 4.88s yet. I will continue to update after I run a few tanks of gas through it over the next month. So far performance seem the same, I haven't noticed any change in the power band, but the fact that they are working as they are supposed to and are clean and new will no doubt help in the long run.

Thanks Flamethrower!
Old 05-15-2014, 06:21 AM

So I ran the first tank of gas through it and got 12mpg but it has been 100 degrees every day this week so I have been running the AC the whole time as well. I do notice that there is an increase in low end power that will allow the transmission to stay in lockup longer over small inclines where it used to shift out of OD. A few times when I have come to a stop sign the idle will bounce all over cycling from 400-800RPM and almost dying but give it a little throttle it evens back out...wasn't doing that before the upgrade and it isn't doing it all the time so I don't even know what to think about that. I will continue to update but the data will get a little skewed because I am putting 4.88s in tonight.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:07 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Yeah, there's really no way to beef these motors up, unfortunately. You can buy the 190 hp motor, but if I believe, its more expensive that just doing a 3.4 swap.

I just did a fuel injector swap on my cousin's 3.4 and its a day and night difference.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
still waiting for international post to deliver my free set.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Yotard
So I ran the first tank of gas through it and got 12mpg but it has been 100 degrees every day this week so I have been running the AC the whole time as well. I do notice that there is an increase in low end power that will allow the transmission to stay in lockup longer over small inclines where it used to shift out of OD. A few times when I have come to a stop sign the idle will bounce all over cycling from 400-800RPM and almost dying but give it a little throttle it evens back out...wasn't doing that before the upgrade and it isn't doing it all the time so I don't even know what to think about that. I will continue to update but the data will get a little skewed because I am putting 4.88s in tonight.
How are the flamethrowers now...any progress report? The only post are about installing them...and then a tank here and there...but no long term report on MPG or smog issues.

Thanks
Old 05-19-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by tailsgunner
How are the flamethrowers now...any progress report? The only post are about installing them...and then a tank here and there...but no long term report on MPG or smog issues. Thanks
I have only posted that much about them because I have only run one tank of gas through them. I installed them a week ago Saturday. I will post more when I have more info but I have only driven about 200mi on these injectors.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:16 AM

Thanks...like to get a follow-up when you have time...much appreciated!!

Most of last years post do not have any long term report on these Flamethrowers. I noticed some people have gray and other have dark yellows injectors...did you pick with ones you wanted...do you know the difference between the two (if any)?

Thx
TG
Old 05-20-2014, 08:17 AM

So I responded to this post by flamethrower He sent me those injectors for free to test out, which are the yellow color injectors, I didn't pick them. They seem to be the same as the grey ones from what I can tell, the orange ones are denso injectors that have a single hole atomized spray pattern from my understanding and these are bosch 4 hole injectors adapted to fit this motor the grey ones are also bosch 4 hole injectors. If you look at his videos on his ebay site you can see the difference between stock stream injectors vs the spray atomizing injectors. Supposed to give more complete fuel burn which provides more power and better smog results. I have to smog this fall so I will see how it does then. I believe right now I have a vacuum leak because it won't idle well when warm now. Starts and idles fine cold with the cold start injector running but once it warms up it idles bad. I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running. You can always PM flamethrower for a description of the difference in the injectors as I am not completely familiar with them, I am sure he will be able to tell you better.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:51 AM

So I responded to this post by flamethrower He sent me those injectors for free to test out, which are the yellow color injectors, I didn't pick them. They seem to be the same as the grey ones from what I can tell, the orange ones are denso injectors that have a single hole atomized spray pattern from my understanding and these are bosch 4 hole injectors adapted to fit this motor the grey ones are also bosch 4 hole injectors. If you look at his videos on his ebay site you can see the difference between stock stream injectors vs the spray atomizing injectors. Supposed to give more complete fuel burn which provides more power and better smog results. I have to smog this fall so I will see how it does then. I believe right now I have a vacuum leak because it won't idle well when warm now. Starts and idles fine cold with the cold start injector running but once it warms up it idles bad. I have to keep my foot on the gas to keep it running. You can always PM flamethrower for a description of the difference in the injectors as I am not completely familiar with them, I am sure he will be able to tell you better.
Thanks again for the info.
Flamethrower is still giving them out for free (if you ask)? I thought he only passed out 5 sets the middle of last year.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by tailsgunner
Thanks again for the info.
Flamethrower is still giving them out for free (if you ask)? I thought he only passed out 5 sets the middle of last year.

If you look at that thread that I linked to you can see if he is still giving them out or not but the OP is end of April, that was when I PMed him and he sent me a set a week or two later. It is a different type than last year, I tried that time but didn't win. This time he picked me. Look at that thread he may have already filled up all of the requests
Old 05-21-2014, 11:28 AM

If you look at that thread that I linked to you can see if he is still giving them out or not but the OP is end of April, that was when I PMed him and he sent me a set a week or two later. It is a different type than last year, I tried that time but didn't win. This time he picked me. Look at that thread he may have already filled up all of the requests
Great...Thank you and good luck with your build.

Please send pics of the gear install and after the install.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:49 AM

Thanks! Here's my build thread with pics including some of the gear swap pics. I finished the rear swap this past weekend, swapping the front out this coming weekend.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...-build-279149/
Old 06-11-2014, 12:08 PM

I have been running the injectors for about a month now. I had to turn my idle up about a week into using the injectors because it was stumbling at stop signs on warm up. It has been running fine ever since. I still am going about 200mi on a tank of gas, my fill up this week I averaged 14mi/gallon and I was around 12mpg, remember I did regear since installing these though. Power seems the same so as far as the injectors go I have no complaints they are a great stock replacement. I passed my last two smog checks but I was on the high end of the HC levels. I will be smogging in the next couple of months and will post back to just see if those levels changed at all. Other than that I see the replacement as a success and recommend these injectors for stock replacement.

Last edited by Yotard; 06-11-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:24 AM

I smogged the truck this morning and passed with much better numbers than last time. I did the same tune up that I always do before smog, sea foam, oil change, NGK plugs, Denso wires and OEM cap and rotor, no longer Denso but still Japanese. The only difference between the last two times and this time is that I changed the injectors...flamethrower is right about more complete burn.

here is the 2012 smog results and you can see that I barely passed on the HC levels that was the same thing with 2010. If you can't see them that well the max HC is 62 and measure is 62 at the 15mph

Here are the current levels, nearly half that. 33 at the 15mph test

Last edited by Yotard; 09-06-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Please continue to update your experience. I'm interested in getting these for my 22re engine as well.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:40 AM

I've noticed no body has mention anything about resetting the computer for it too know the fuel injectors have changed.. and I know with jeeps when upgrading the fuel injectors you're required to do that or else it will just run it like it's still one hole..
Old 03-28-2017, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ty Rowsell
I've noticed no body has mention anything about resetting the computer for it too know the fuel injectors have changed.. and I know with jeeps when upgrading the fuel injectors you're required to do that or else it will just run it like it's still one hole..
Sorry if this sounds stupid. How do you reset the computer?