Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Flame thrower install / review

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 09:33 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Review to come
So Monday around noon I started my new Flame Thrower injector install. Yep I got lucky enough to get to try out some of his new injectors. They showed up Friday evening nicely packaged. I was going camping Saturday night so I would have to wait. So Monday comes around and I get my errands done in the morning and start my tear down.

Old 2 hole injectors. Big ugly holes.
Name:  9B47BD8F-F8F4-4223-8418-6903A06177DF.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  93.1 KB
New 4 hole injectors. Wow liquid would be hard pressed to get through there looks like just vapor can pass
Name:  5D341A94-6E24-40C5-9474-C3A9F45EB8D2.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  69.6 KB
Sorry for the crappy pic

Disconnected the negative battery cable. Pulled the air intake, drained and pulled the radiator & thermostat. I pulled the fan as well just for ease of wokingbecause when i looked inside the throttle body it looked like tar it was time for a cleaning while im in there Pulled throttle cable, marked and disconnected vacume hoses and such. Take pictures as you go unless you really know your way around those vacume lines. Ok to R&R the injectors I believe you only have to pull the plenum off but I am cleaning so went deeper. I always bag and label my parts I remove and keep them in groups. You may have your on way this just works for me. Take lots of pictures as you go. They will help if you have questions during reassembly. Unbolt your egr if equipped pull the 9 bolts holding on your plenum (noting where those wires are grounded and remembering to put them back there). It should be free to lift up off. I might have missed something so correct my if I'm wrong. With the plenum off the fuel rail is exposed and you can see your 4 tired injectors. Unhook and label your injector wires. Be careful these are 20+ year old wires. Remove the banjo bolt, 19mm i think, from the fuel rail (caution if your fuel system is still pressurized this will spray a bit of fuel. So I would at least wear safety glasses and probably try to shield/catch it with a towel. After that bolt is removed there is a small 10mm bolt securing the supply line to the rail pull this and get the line out of the way. Now you can get to the 2 12mm bolts holding down the fuel rail. Once those are out The fuel rail is just resting on 2 sleaves and your injectors. Gently lift and pll the fuel rail off. You injectors should come with it (mine did at least). Be careful one you pull it loose your injectors are ow just pressure fit in the fuel rail held in by 20 year old rubber.
Name:  11A6EEB3-5B63-4E9E-8B6F-9C45501D100B.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  112.9 KB
Old rubber
Name:  AFCD90DE-C56B-43C9-90FB-2FBD9C56184B.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  88.4 KB

Now get over a work bench or something and slowly and gently twist back and fourth the old injectors and pull them out. Once all 4 were out I put a little dab of fuel in the o rings for lube and carefully inserted them in to the fuel rail. Go straight in and twist back&fourth to get the new ones in. Don't force it. If it doesnt twist when there in you probably buggered an o ring an need to pull it back out. At least that's what every thing I read said. These injectors went in like butter snug secure might have something to do with the double o ring unlike Toyotas single o ring.
Just like new
Name:  333981FA-599A-4E37-B217-FF8388D7EF23.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  95.9 KB
Anyways. I had a bad rubber o ring on my old #1 injector so there was some cleaning that needed to be done there before i put my new injectors in.

After I got that cleaned up I reattached my intake manifold. Then carefully lined up my injectors, now mounted in the fuel rail, to their appropriate location and wiggled them in till the fuel rail sat in the sleaves. All my injectors turn smoothly (last real chance to check). Reinstalled the 2 12mm bolts holding the fuel rail down and torqued to 14 foot pounds I think. Installed the 10mm securing bolt for the fuel supply line and put the banjo bolt back in the supply line to fuel rail connection.
Name:  17A21FC9-1B0B-440F-B285-B1DD5D7ECE49.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  96.5 KB
Make sure you hook up your adapter wires to your injectors. Name:  2D5B92D9-DC85-4CED-9B55-00C8DCE60C66.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  92.3 KB

Now connect them to your existing injector plugs that you labeled so you wouldn't get the in the wrong order. You did remember to do that right? .Name:  F577A655-06B3-49BC-A58B-5F6B6F153364.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  104.9 KB

Using a fresh gasket reinstall the plenum and egr (if equipped). Being careful not to forget those grounded wires and the one bolt underneath securing the plenum to the bracing bar that connects to your block. Properly torque the bolts back down. Reinstall your vacume hoses. Aren't you glad you took pictures? Install and reconnect and fill the radiator. Check to make sure you haven't forgotten any hoses or plugs. Connect the negative battery cable. Should be ready to start up.
Name:  9D32624F-8A8C-4C4B-916B-9CE769A7D0C4.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  109.0 KB

I have to wait for tomorrow because I want to make sure any rtv I used is totally cured I hade to use some on the coolant pipe that bolts in to the lower manifold. The PO snapped off a bolt so it has been held on by 1 bolt and some red rtv ever since. I will update it with pictures and my initial start up tomorrow

Good night

Edited to add pictures and correct my bad spelling.

Last edited by thefishguy77; 05-07-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-06-2014, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I really like how my Flamethrowers work and the difference it makes on the bottom end. Did you by chance get any pictures of the differences in the injectors? I feel the difference is how the fuel gets sprayed out of the injectors it disperses a lot better then how the factory did it.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:50 AM

Edited to add pictures above.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:37 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by thefishguy77
Now connect them to your existing injector plugs that you labeled so you wouldn't get the in the wrong order. You did remember to do that right? ....
Labeling wires is always a good idea, but doesn't matter here. All four injectors open at the same time. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...23descript.pdf
Old 05-07-2014, 07:46 AM

Learn something new all the time. Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you gonna go drive this thing or what?
Old 05-07-2014, 08:19 AM

Haha. As soon as I get dressed. Had a late night. One of the dogs had a old problem flare up. So didn't sleep much.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:41 AM

Started great. Idle is really smooth. I did not drive it because that coolant crossover pipe that I had to rtv because of a snapped off bolt is leaking. The rubber o-ring was pretty beat up so I am off to go buy a new one. Should be running by tonight
Old 05-07-2014, 06:12 PM

Ok I pulled that coolant pipe off the bottom of the plenum unbolted it from the back of the head and unhooked coolant hose it connected to. I then was able to snake it out and clean it up. Put on a new o-ring added some rtv and put it back in. I torqued everything down reinstalled the radiator and air filter. So now she sits for the night to full cure before I put coolant in it this time. Think that might be part of the reason she leaked. I'm excited to fire it up tomorrow morning. I still can't get over how smooth and quiet it ran the first time. I do need to order a new tps. Tested mine it failed . Going for the Denso for sure. I will keep you posted.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
Ok I pulled that coolant pipe off the bottom of the plenum unbolted it from the back of the head and unhooked coolant hose it connected to. I then was able to snake it out and clean it up. Put on a new o-ring added some rtv and put it back in. I torqued everything down reinstalled the radiator and air filter. So now she sits for the night to full cure before I put coolant in it this time. Think that might be part of the reason she leaked. I'm excited to fire it up tomorrow morning. I still can't get over how smooth and quiet it ran the first time. I do need to order a new tps. Tested mine it failed . Going for the Denso for sure. I will keep you posted.
Tease. Im still worrying about that broken bolt. I have been thinking about how you should fix that and its driving me crazy. It is just a cover up cause I have a captured nut for my trans mount that is broken and it is slowly making me lose my mind.

One of the worst feelings in the world when a bolt snaps, instant disappointment in a large dose. I know you didn't do it.
Old 05-07-2014, 06:24 PM

Oh I have done it. Yes sir I have. I am going to steel my lower intake off my other motor and swap it if I have to. Should be the same... I think ish. So unless I get lucky I am swapping intakes tomorrow then I will just have to pick up a used one for when I need that motor. Now I just need to find a good deal on a Denso .
Old 05-07-2014, 06:53 PM

Oh how fortunate to have a spare intake laying around.

I wish I had a few spare 22re's laying around.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:30 PM

Very lucky but I am trying to keep that one complete. Never works that way though. Damn Murphy's law. I am going to kick that guy in the twig and berries if I every see him.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:55 AM

Ok well my coolant leak is fixed. AWESOME. But not as awesome as these new injectors. I took the time to clean my plenum, throttle body and intake while I was at it and the idle is unbelievably smooth. What I thought was valve clatter was a large chunk injector noise. These ones are very quiet. With out my tps I can't get it timed obviously and yet it still has more power and bottom end pick up. Before the injectors if I was around 1800 rpm under load it pinged like crazy trying to accelerate. Now it kinda thinks about pinging and then just goes. I can't wait till I can actually time it and see.

I still can't get over how smooth and quiet the idle is. Great throttle response. I will check my millage as soon as I get my tps installed.

Thanks again Flame Thrower. I will keep this thread updated as I drive it. But I will say that before with stock gears and HEAVY 31x10.5x15 Toyo open country mt's I was considering regearing to 4:56's to turn them better. Now it feels like I already did regear. EPIC ˟˟˟˟˟ MAN.

To anyone considering "building" a 22re we all know you can spend a ton of cash for a little gain. This is probably up there with cost vs. noticeable performance gains from doing a cat back exhaust. Get yourself a set of these injectors and clean your plenum out. It's like a new motor.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:12 PM

Ok so I got my new tps installed. Since it was bad I could not properly time my truck. With the tps adjusted I found that I had it set at around 10 deg advanced. So now that its set to stock I got to take it for the first road trip. Left issaquah Friday evening with a full tank. Drove down to Elbe, well just past and up in to the state forest. Drove her back home today and still have over a half a tank of fuel. 189 miles stop and go traffic and still great fuel millage. This is the best millage I have gotten. Still have to top off the tank to find out my exact millage but has to be near 20+mpg. I have never had that in a 22 re with stop and go traffic. So I would have to say that the injectors made a noticeable difference. Also it is very smooth on power delivery from idle. I am very happy with these injectors. When I rebuild my other motor I will be ordering another set of these injectors. Very very satisfied yota junkie here.