Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fisher price: My First Tranny flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fisher price: My First Tranny flush

Hey everyone,

In bad need of a tranny flush and being the cheap bastard iam id like to see if its wise to take this on myself. Id also like to change the filter, but dont trust shops to do this. How am I supposed to know if they really did?

I just did my front brakes, Calps pads rotors, and can do Oil, plugs, etc. Im no newbie to the maintenance stuff.

I know to drop the pan and drain what you can, then disconnect the house going back into the tranny? have that go to a bucket whilst pouring in fluid until it runs clean. Am I on the right track or should I just take it in?

Also, what fluid should I use on my 200+k 96 4runner 4wd V6? Any additives anyone recommends? I use Lucas when i do my Oil and in the gas tank.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by nvrsummer2
Hey everyone,

In bad need of a tranny flush and being the cheap bastard iam id like to see if its wise to take this on myself. Id also like to change the filter, but dont trust shops to do this. How am I supposed to know if they really did?

I just did my front brakes, Calps pads rotors, and can do Oil, plugs, etc. Im no newbie to the maintenance stuff.

I know to drop the pan and drain what you can, then disconnect the house going back into the tranny? have that go to a bucket whilst pouring in fluid until it runs clean. Am I on the right track or should I just take it in?

Also, what fluid should I use on my 200+k 96 4runner 4wd V6? Any additives anyone recommends? I use Lucas when i do my Oil and in the gas tank.
I did this on a buddies 96 4runner, I think it was a total of 15-17 quarts. We used a 5 gallon bucket to drain it into marked in 2-quart increments , meaning we would run 2 quarts out at a time, then add two. We did this untill the fluid came out red. (about 12-14 quarts) Then we changed the filter and toped off.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:20 PM

How long has it been since the last flush? Is the fluid still clean and red? As a general rule if the fluid has been in there forever but the transmission is still working ok, its often better to just change the fluid or leave it. When you flush it you stir up all that crap that has worked itself in there, and send it through the trans. This can cause all sorts of issues. I have seen at least 2 trannies that were flushed grenade right after a flush due to this. If you have kept it changed on a regular basis I'd go on and just drop the pan and replace the fluid and filter and if you are really concerned abut the fluid you can change it in like 500 miles again. Please don't read this as me saying not to change your fluid. I'm just saying that if it is pretty nasty you might be prepared to drop the valve body and clean it if need be. As for additives. If it isn't slipping I would use whatever Toyota recommends (can't remember off the top of my head). Lucas has its place but in a properly functioning unit I would just run the stock fluid.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by PowerstrokeJoe
How long has it been since the last flush? Is the fluid still clean and red? As a general rule if the fluid has been in there forever but the transmission is still working ok, its often better to just change the fluid or leave it. When you flush it you stir up all that crap that has worked itself in there, and send it through the trans. This can cause all sorts of issues. I have seen at least 2 trannies that were flushed grenade right after a flush due to this. If you have kept it changed on a regular basis I'd go on and just drop the pan and replace the fluid and filter and if you are really concerned abut the fluid you can change it in like 500 miles again. Please don't read this as me saying not to change your fluid. I'm just saying that if it is pretty nasty you might be prepared to drop the valve body and clean it if need be. As for additives. If it isn't slipping I would use whatever Toyota recommends (can't remember off the top of my head). Lucas has its place but in a properly functioning unit I would just run the stock fluid.
We did it @ 200k, it currently has 265k, still strong as ever.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by bobbybouche
We did it @ 200k, it currently has 265k, still strong as ever.
Then you are good to go. I wasn't saying don't do it. I was just letting the OP know some of the possibilities.