Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First post. Repair and possibly super slow rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post. Repair and possibly super slow rebuild.

Ive been creeping on this site for a while now and have learned a good bit and id like to take a minute to say whats up yotatech and i hope this is still a pretty active site lol.
A few months ago i bought a 6 cyl 1994 t4r 4wd with 130k miles and I love it already. I bought it as somewhat of a daily driver/family offroad vehicle, dont reall know much about working on vehicles so I started this thread to maybe get some help with some issues i run into (repair and mods) and maybe give other people some ideas on how to fix their t4r with similar problems.

Plans
- 3 inch suspension lift
- 33x12.50 tires and 16 inch rims
- motor build rebuild with performance parts hopefully
- new sound system, carpet, reupholster seats
- new paint
- and obviously make everything run and perform good
- i have to do all of this over time due to i have a family and other priorities as well.

When i bought this thing it had some SERIOUS brake issues...the rotors and pads were tore up. And there was some underlying issues that I didnt find out until later. So first things first, i buy new plugs, wires, rotors, and pads and get to work...

Plugs and wires are pretty basic i guess. But the brakes were a huge issue for me. I had an incredibly hard time getting the hub assembly?? Apart. It took me forever to figure it out but after a few youtube vids i finally got it. Drilled to screws into the little metal circle and tapped around it with a hammer and the little locknuts popped loose. After that the rest was pretty easy. So i replaced the rotors and pads no problem. (Forgot to mention the pads were specifically designed for 1 certain one to be on the outside of the rotor and 1 on the inside, the guy that replaced them before me had 2 outside ones on the drivers side and 2 inside ones on the pass. Side)

After i fixed that, my brake pedal wasnt acting right. My pedal would sink to the floor without doing anything when slowing down or stopping and i would have to release the pedal and repress it to have brakes...once i pressed it again my brakes would work perfectly and did so every this happened. After saving up some money i went and got a master cylinder, replaced it and cleaned and reused my reservoir and that still didnt fix the issue. It ended up being the brake calipers (not sure why they were doing it but it solved the problem completely.) I also readjusted my drum brakes in the back. So after everything i pretty much have a brand new front brake system on my runner.

A couple weeks after doing all this, which im currently dealing with, my pass. Side front wheel locked up when pulling out of a parking spot. When i pulled into the gas station i heard a loud popping noise and parked and didnt see anything out of the ordinary and when i went to leave the tire locked up. Now i literally just got nice pretty new 31x10.50 mud terrains on this thing saturday, so sunday i took it though a rough little trail just to finally see what my yota could do for the first time. Tommorrow i plan on tearing into the front end to see whats going on and i will post pics and info on what i do to it later. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

​​
​​

​​
Old 10-21-2016, 05:55 PM

Heres a pic of my ride, my brand new 31x10.50 tires (everything else is bone stock) and my wife lol.

​​​​​​​
Old 10-23-2016, 07:36 AM

Found the issue... I had a bolt come loose where the rotor connects to the hub and it got caught between my rotor and brake shield ( not sure if thats the exact name.) But thats what was stopping my tire from spinning. Since i was under there i went ahead and did the upper and lower balljoints and cv axle. The old cv axle was in horrible condition anyways and need to be replaced. Heres some pics.

Where the bolt came from.

The bolt that came out. It got chopped up pretty bad.

​​​​​​​