Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

First Head Gasket & Timing Chain

Old 07-20-2011, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Head Gasket & Timing Chain

I never did I HG or TC before so I decided to start a thread because I have a few questions...

Before I posted a thread about finding TDC well turns out that was real dumb was there are timing marks that line it up perfect.

As you can see I got it to TDC and got the head off.

First Questions is this mark in the #1 Cylinder normal? (see below)

Second question is... I took all the head bolts out and some of them were covered in oil (as well as the hole there were in being filled up to the top) is that normal? and is there an easy way to get that oil out??

Next question, The HG was not the source of my problem... as I took the valve cover off and the driver side TC guide was gone... This is a common thing from what I've read. I have the front end kit from ENGBLDR but there is no gasket for the timing cover? Is that correct? there is a gasket for the oil and water pump but not the cover itself.

Also any recommendations on where to get bolts (I'm sure i will lose a couple) not for the head but for any random ones I might have lost

Last question is that I'm following this guide for the timing chain replacement http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml

It says to set the engine to 5 degrees below TDC when replacing the chain. How will I know that I'm exactly 5 degrees below? Is there another mark on the pulley where you can line it up?

Thanks for all future help