86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

first gen 4Runner for a daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first gen 4Runner for a daily driver

So, I'm considering selling my 2002 Subaru Legacy wagon and picking up a decent first gen 4runner. I'm looking for a 22re 5spd truck. I'm looking for something that's simple, set it and forget it. I like the Subie but there seems to be another issue just waiting around the corner that's more expensive than the last issue. How do they do w/ daily driver duties? I'm not logging a ton of miles, probably 100-150 a week. Thanks guys
Old 02-12-2013, 09:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I drive my 88 4Runner the most of my two cars right now. It's all pretty simple mechanically, and very easy to work on.

It's not going to be as comfortable as your Legacy or a newer truck. And the fuel mileage isn't great, so you'll be making some sacrifices.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:41 AM

I drive my '85 pickup 5-6 days a week minimum of 44 miles per day. It does great, but it all depends on what condition a truck is in. Mine is great, I've got a buddy with the same year truck that stays in the shop more than on the road due to previous owners abusing it.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:36 AM

My 86 is my daily, has been since last June, only failure was the original power steering idler pulley, other than that I've done an oil change and front brakes, threw on a set of tires. The chassis of my truck rolled 360,000 miles the other day and my truck has been beat on hard by the past couple owners. The engine has been replaced but I don't know the circumstances that lead up to that.

I DD'd my 85 (in my avatar) for 2 years, killed a trans at 255k, did a radiator, head gasket and alternator in that time.

There's a reason most of the other technicians I know drive old Toyota cars and trucks... we don't want to work on our own rigs when we get home.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:07 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
i've daily driven 2 first gen 4runners over the years and i think they are great! as someone said, you won't have tons of power or get amazing mileage but they are simple, reliable trucks
Old 02-12-2013, 01:43 PM

i drive my 88 with 208k miles, every single day. I get 19.45 mpg( last 2 month average) in the city only. If you can deal with a bumpy ride and driving slow then you'll be fine. I work on my truck allllll the time just because but i still drive it every day. I love driving my truck, the looks you get are awesome!
Old 02-12-2013, 02:21 PM

Cool. Thanks for the info guys. My wife has an 05 Outback XT that gets mpgs in the low 20's so I'm kind of used to less than stellar fuel economy.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 PM

I drive my 87 pickup every day, at least 100 miles with highway
Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM

I am going to go against the trend here. I love my 88 runner and drive it 2-3 days a week, but it cant compare to the comfort of a newer vehicle. I think i love driving it a few days a week because its cool and different, but i would still prefer my newer vehicle for road trip or whatever. Dont get me wrong, its a great truck. Just my opinion.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive my home brewed 1st gen everyday... my only other vehicle is a 1973 Datsun 240z and it is in pieces.

I don't settle for newer cars because of choice comfort. A 1st gen has power steering, power brakes, a heater, and sometimes an A/C. They're cheap to buy, cheap to fix, easy to fix, and can provide more reliability in the elements of blizzard, rain storm, desert exodus, etc. than some bell & whistle-powered "all wheel drive" sport utility. I take comfort in reliability and simplicity, not in heated seats and defrosting mirrors. Less bells and whistles... less chance of something breaking.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Buying a new car, or a car that requires a computer to diagnose, is INconvenient IMHO.

As a genuine, 1st gen commuter I will be completely honest on what I DO gripe about:

Seats. The Japanese built 'em small and thin. Eventually I will spend the day sitting in random cars at the junkyard until I find something that my back and butt cheeks can agree with.

... Mmm, thats about it. The seats get old by the time you're 2 hours into a trip. And I'm thinking about heated seats... there are kits where you just slip aftermarket coils underneath the original seat skin and wire it up to a power source. Pretty slick. I know I initially "put them down", but I was aiming more towards new cars lol. Its cheaper and cooler to retrofit an old 'Runner!

Last edited by XtraSlow_XtraCab; 02-12-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM

daily drove my 88 4 Runner for 3.5 years , 175+ miles a week , didnt like putting all the miles on it , plus gas was not getting cheaper , it was costing around $60.00 a week for gas , I picked up a 1994 Mazda Protege for $600.00 , it gets close to 30 mpg and cost $35-40 every 2 weeks
Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
They drive fine, 2wd gets pretty good mpg, a bucket seat does wonders for the comfort over a bench. If your very tall, over 6'2", you might not like the fit. If you got beer gut, your definatly going to want one with a tilt steer you can move outta the way.

There is no such thing as set it and forget it, you wouldn't to that to a dog I hope why would you do it too your beloved auto!
Old 02-14-2013, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
They can be made very dependable and usable. If you get one think about what you are wanting it for and factor that into your build. My 88 Runner is one of my all time favorite trucks. I worked on getting the ride quality nice. Suspension,shocks,tires and having bucket seats adds alot to the riding comfort.

I dont care for road noise so worked on replacing drafty weather seals and sound insulation. I like that I can have both arms having a place to rest while driving so I worked on that as well. Being 6 foot tall standard cab trucks just dont have the abilty to give me the leg room that I need so I am partial to the runners and extended cabs.

There isnt much room for improvement on gas mileage using the stock motor but otherwise instead of having bumpers,winches,sliders, you might want to build one for comfort, dependabilty, and everyday fun use. The only thing I like better about my 01 Runner over my 88 Runner is that it has cruise control and that get added eventually.

We have had newer cars but the wife will drive her 88 and when I have my own truck the newer ones have sat for long periods of time.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:16 AM

[quote=Terrys87;52041984] The only thing I like better about my 01 Runner over my 88 Runner is that it has cruise control and that get added eventually.
quote]
My '85 came with cruise control... and it still works!
Old 02-14-2013, 05:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
i daily mine and it sees 140 miles a day for over a year now. i think the general consensus is they are a great truck to daily. assuming you can keep up with maintenance they will do you right. i average about 17-22 on the highway depending on the weather and my right foot.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:15 AM

I drive my 87. Has 238,xxxmi is a 5spd and I get about 18mpg. I just bought it about two weeks ago and I love it. Already sourced out my sas swap!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XtraSlow_XtraCab
As a genuine, 1st gen commuter I will be completely honest on what I DO gripe about:

Seats. The Japanese built 'em small and thin. Eventually I will spend the day sitting in random cars at the junkyard until I find something that my back and butt cheeks can agree with.

... Mmm, thats about it. The seats get old by the time you're 2 hours into a trip.
I thought I was the only one who doesn't like the seats. I'm thin & tall and the seats hurt my back after 2+ as well.

I don't think it's been mentioned but if you're looking for a DD, go with one with the 4-cylinder 22R or RE engine. It will get better gas mileage (17-22 MPG)and if you do need to work on it, it's easier than the V6 3VZ-E. I own a V6 and it can last a long time (280k miles for me so far, 15-18 MPG) but working on it is considerably more difficult.

I should also add, get a manual transmission. Automatics don't last too much past 200k miles, rarely 250k, without serious work. This can be said for any vehicle of any manufacturer.

Last edited by Gamefreakgc; 02-15-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:15 PM

DD my 88, 3.0. of course engine was rebuilt two years ago at 250k miles because PO failed to put oil in it. i am now at 306k miles with no drivetrain issues (not including breaking parts off road)...put on about 250 mi/wk city. use it for road trips all the time too, passengers tell me the back seat is very comfy, front seats not so much. many of my trips have been 6 to 8 hour drives on the highway then right onto the 4WD stuff without even a pause and then right back home no problems, usually end up towing out the newer runners in my group too. plus if your like me you dont really care if the idiot parked next to uses your truck to hold his door open. also nice to have the option to take the "shortcut" home through the river and what not haha. DD a first gen? Yes. just my $.02.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc
I thought I was the only one who doesn't like the seats. I'm thin & tall and the seats hurt my back after 2+ as well.
try this little cheap mod , I did it using washers that i welded together , made a huge difference seat height
Old 02-15-2013, 08:03 PM

I daily drive mine 80 miles of freeway driving round trip. I just have to be in the mental state that it's not the latest greatest, but it gets the job done and I'd rather put miles on a low maintenance easy to work on truck than rack up the miles on the diesel.

I do hate my worn out stock dlx seats though. Upgrading those and fixing the AC would make me completely happy to daily drive the 4runner.

Quick Reply: first gen 4Runner for a daily driver