86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First 22re rebuild, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First 22re rebuild, some questions

Was getting a knock from 94, 22re, 180k-ish, pickup. Sadly, pulled the pan this evening and it doesn't look too good. The pan is covered in a metallic sludge and I pulled the no. 4 bearing and it looks pretty beat. I don't know if its the source of the knock for sure (probably is), but I'm going to go ahead and pull it. Sad that this engine crapped out this early, but who knows how the PO treated it. I've only ever done small engines, so this will be a new experience and I have a few questions. I'm basically just going to do a stock/budget, but done right build.

1. Are harbor freights engine hoists okay? They have a 1000 lb. one for like 180 or something. Any better deals?

2. I was planning on using Engnbldr master rebuild kit. I used their timing kit and all the parts seemed good quality. Anyone have any long term results of using it they would like to share? I'm especially interested in their head gasket. I hear Toyota OEM is the way to go, but if Engnbldr's works, it works.

3. What should I expect to pay for machining, say best- and worst-case scenario? I was going to call a few shops on Mon. to feel things out, but I want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off.

4. Other things I should do while I have the opportunity? Would like to do a new clutch plate if the budget allows. Figured I'd do the front seal on the tranny too. Anything else? All additional goodies are really riding on the machine shop bill.

5. Is it possible to replace the header later with the engine in, so I don't have to do it now?

Ideally, I would like to keep this project under $750 or so, not counting a hoist and engine stand. Not totally sure if thats realistic, but searching around here, it seems possible. I don't want anything fancy, just a build that will last. Allowing myself some more just in case of unexpected issues (which always arise). Any other tips/tricks/advice before I start ripping into to this? All I can say is thank god this happened during the summer and not in January

Last edited by cambob; 07-08-2012 at 01:40 AM.