86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finished applying POR15 to floor

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Finished applying POR15 to floor

Here are a couple of pics I took when I finished applying POR15 on my firewall, floor and rear of cab. I can now start reassembly of my project (which is going to take some time). I'll post pics of my progress when I complete certain parts of the rebuild. If anybody has any POR15 related questions, please ask. I'm no expert, but now I have some "hands on" experience.

I just ordered dash clips and the small piece of insulation that goes around the base of the steering coulmn.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just stripped my cab yesterday.I am going to use Herculiner or Duraback. I broke the tar pad with a hammer and took it out, it looks like you left yours in. I almost left it but had a little rust under the pedals. Looks good, get any on ya?
Old 10-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member

ooooo! sparkly shiney... I really must order some of that wonder stuff this week I have a few light rusty spots on the floor I want to hit before the snow flies...
Old 10-07-2008, 12:36 AM

Why in the CAB???

...I didn't know the cab area was very susceptible to rust, why the POR 15 appalication there???
Old 10-07-2008, 02:34 AM

Pistonman = the only tar pad I left in was the one attached to the firewall. All others were removed with a putty knife and hammer (they will get replaced with Dynamat). I used a real good adhesive remover to clean the remainder of the tar off the floor.

aviator = I had some surface rust and needed to get this painted before it got too cold. It came out pretty good. Just follow the directions to the letter.

Brownsfan = The cab is sheetmetal (it will rust). I had a windshield that was leaking very bad, a portion of the seam sealer on the passenger kickpanel came off, letting water enter the cab and who ever did the heater core messed up the pipes, so coolant was also getting into the cab.

I will be doing under the hood and the outside of the kickpanels with POR15 after I get some of the interior put back together.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BrownsfaninMN
...I didn't know the cab area was very susceptible to rust, why the POR 15 appalication there???
As 89dlx noted the cab is just painted sheet metal what happens is you get in with wet/salty boots/shoes and the carpet gets saturated [even with rubber weathertec mats] this moisture stays in contact with the floor and as the carpet shifts slightly back and forth from road vibration and so on the paint finish abrades to bare metal and rust begins.

89 I noted that you and a few others said that you'd pried up that metal backed "tar pad" from the floor before you applied the POR15. You want to be careful, particularly on the driver's side, that pad was part of the heat shield to protect the interior from exhaust heat and to re-enforce the floor area. I'd consider applying a replacement product for safety sake. B-Quiet makes a product that can meet this need and is very reasonably priced, FWIW I just got some of their sound deadening product, it arrived on the date promised and so far it works very well and was much cheaper than dynamat with a higher deadening db rating.

Last edited by aviator; 10-07-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:27 AM

I'll look into other brands of sound deadening material before I install anything. I'll be applying it the same way the factory did. I wont be doing the entire floor (just where the factory had it - I took pictures before I removed it) and if they used two layers, I'll use two layers.

But first I need to buy a heater core and put my heater/AC box back in.

Last edited by HAVOC; 10-07-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 89dlx
I'll look into other brands of sound deadening material before I install anything. I'll be applying it the same way the factory did. I wont be doing the entire floor (just where the factory had it - I took pictures before I removed it) and if they used two layers, I'll use two layers.

But first I need to buy a heater core and put my heater/AC box back in.

(It's 89DLX not 86, although the new truck is a 95, but somebody already has 95DLX)
ok I fixed it LOL I was having a dislexic moment I guess...

So far as sound deadening goes there are really only two types that I've been able to find Dynamat and B-Quiet [makers of no-longer avail. "brownbread"]. The B-Quiet was actually cheaper then the dynamat and according to independent lab test was more efficient at killing sound transfer.
But you may be able to find another mfg. that I could not.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:26 PM

The three I heard about are Dynamat, B-Quiet and RAAMmat. I'll do a little research on each brand. I'm not looking for the utmost quietness, as there is not going to be a "system" in my truck. I just want to replicate what the factory used. I checked on http://www.toyodiy.com/ and there isn't a part number for sound deadening stuff. So I'll have to come up with something (maybe a combination of different brands to achieve what I want?).