Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Filling Small Imperfections in the Block (H/G job)

Old 12-10-2010, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filling Small Imperfections in the Block (H/G job)

y block has a few small probably corrosive pits in it, looks like places where the coolant might have gone in a past failed H/G.

What should I use to fill these scuffs? My new H/G is a nice MLS+graphite H/G, so its unfortunately pretty rigid (the head was milled, so that part should seal nice!).

My first thought was to use JB Weld and a nice putty knife, but the guy at NAPA recommended Permatex Aviation Gasket Sealer, and I bought some. Looking at the permatex website, they do specifically recommend it for assisting rigid gaskets, but its also only listed to 400F (206C). Is that enough for use on the block?

Alternatively, I have ultra grey rtv, or I could go get something if it was highly recommended - though that entails biking several miles.

I'd love to have the block milled, but that's out (time n' money :-P ).
Old 12-10-2010, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your block ever gets above 400F you'll have bigger problems than your head gasket.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
machine shop re-surface. What gasket did you get? If it's a true MLS you need special milling on both the block and head surface for those to work.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:46 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by snickell
What should I use to fill these scuffs? My new H/G is a nice MLS+graphite H/G, so its unfortunately pretty rigid (the head was milled, so that part should seal nice!).

My first thought was to use JB Weld and a nice putty knife, but the guy at NAPA recommended Permatex Aviation Gasket Sealer, and I bought some. Looking at the permatex website, they do specifically recommend it for assisting rigid gaskets, but its also only listed to 400F (206C). Is that enough for use on the block?
If you have JB weld then use that method.
Properties(psi)

Tensile Strength:3960
Adhesion:1800
Flex Strength:7320
Tensile Lap Shear:1040
Shrinkage:0.0%
Resistant to:500° F

Mechanics -- you can use J-B WELD with confidence. It is designed for safe, reliable, permanent repairs in engine compartments and heated environments up to 500° F. It's strong as steel and impervious to water, gasoline, chemicals, and acids. Working with J-B WELD is quick, easy, and convenient -- and saves you time, work, and money!

Not recommended for use on manifolds, exhaust systems, and other engine components which normally operate at temperatures above 500° F.
http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

I used this a tiny bit of K&W Copper Coat® on my head gaskets around the coolant and oil passages. It's good from -80 to 400°F. I haven't had any issues with it.

Product Description

High temperature, high quality gasket sealer. Prevents compression loss on paper, cork and premium gaskets. Dauber built into the lid for easy application and storage.

Product Specifications

Applications

Automatic transmissions, cover plates, diesel heads, high compression engines, hi-speed turbine superchargers, hydraulic pumps
http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co...?PN=401504&S=N

That aviation gasket maker is probably just as good. Pematex® also makes some copper gasket sealant that comes in a spray can. It's made for use on head gaskets, and is good from -50 to 500°F.

Permatex® Copper Spray-A-Gasket® Hi-Temp Adhesive Sealant
Fast-drying, metallic copper sealant helps dissipate heat, prevents gasket burnout and improves heat transfer. Fills minor surface irregularities. Seals instantly. Fills hot spots and surface imperfections. Temperature range -50°F to 500°F (-45°C to 260°C); resists all types of automotive fluids, especially gasoline. Level 3*

Suggested Applications: Cylinder head gaskets, carburetor gaskets, exhaust manifold gaskets and other high temperature applications
http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...ve_Sealant.htm
Old 12-10-2010, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have always used the Permatex copper spray.I have used it on head gaskets as well as I have used it on exhaust systems, but not as a filler type material. On exhaust systems I use I very light coat of it to create a tacky type "glue" to hold the gaskets in place and ensure that they don't slip or slide when attaching the other end of the exhaust.