86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Few questions from a noobie

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Few questions from a noobie

Hey guys, I just traded my 96 honda civic for a 87 pickup ex cab. As she sits, it has a strong running 22r, 5-spd manual, however many lifts on new 35" tires and regeared to IM GUESSING 5.29's. Aftermarket bucket seats and probably the nicest I've ever sat my fat-behind in. I've owned a 93 4Runner and a 94 ex cab pickup... Not too knowledgeable on the 2nd gen pickups...

Few questions pertaining my rig...

1.) what is the "deck lamp" button to the left of my steering wheel?
2.) the heater works, but when in "off" position and only moved over one hash-mark, it blows as if it's on high, no change in fan speed. Is there a way to fix this and make it work like it's supposed to in each setting?
3.) has anyone ever installed a better/brighter/custom interior cab dome light? I'm hard of hearing and need sufficient light at times when it's dark to read my co-pilot's lips when driving
4.) is changing the shifter bushing similar to changing them in a 3rd gen pickup? I havent looked or had the time to do so hah
5.) haven't looked here either, but passenger door does not open from inside, only out. Could this be a simple rod that came loose or any suggestions as to what to look at?
6.)
Old 10-13-2013, 04:49 PM

Haven't finished or corrected the posting, my bad!!!

Regarding some light, has anyone installed a light to the REAR close to the seats as opposed to the front where it's located above the mirror?

6.) truck turns fine with the 35"s but I have some play and it pulls to the left. My steering stays "straight" but the wheel is turned right a bit, is there a way to fix this and have the steering tightened up and less slop or pulling?

Thanks for any help or advice
Old 10-13-2013, 05:43 PM

AND has anyone else ever had the temperature gauge never getting close to the 1/2 mark? Mine seems to stay below 1/4... Heater blows somewhat warm, not "hot" but comfortable warm. Simple heater hose/duct under the hood comes to mind but want to figure out the gauge as well.

The truck doesn't have an RPM gauge in the cluster. Would swapping an SR5 cluster be a direct swap and have RPM working or is this a matter of adding wirings? Thanks
Old 10-13-2013, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by egillette87
3.) has anyone ever installed a better/brighter/custom interior cab dome light? I'm hard of hearing and need sufficient light at times when it's dark to read my co-pilot's lips when driving
4.) is changing the shifter bushing similar to changing them in a 3rd gen pickup? I havent looked or had the time to do so hah
5.) haven't looked here either, but passenger door does not open from inside, only out. Could this be a simple rod that came loose or any suggestions as to what to look at?
6.)
1 is for a light should be behind the seat somewhere if the extra cabs came with them if not the beasel its in came outta a 4runner.
3 yup lots of people have do a search for map light but theres lots of ways to do it
4 should be similar they could have the same tranny as a matter of fact
5 yes
Old 10-13-2013, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stetson_md
1 is for a light should be behind the seat somewhere if the extra cabs came with them if not the beasel its in came outta a 4runner. 3 yup lots of people have do a search for map light but theres lots of ways to do it 4 should be similar they could have the same tranny as a matter of fact 5 yes
Actually just now discovered the "deck light" switch was the exterior light on top of the cab above the sliding window

The transmission in this is a W56
Old 10-13-2013, 06:20 PM

Haven't finished or corrected the posting, my bad!!!

Regarding some light, has anyone installed a light to the REAR close to the seats as opposed to the front where it's located above the mirror?

6.) truck turns fine with the 35"s but I have some play and it pulls to the left. My steering stays "straight" but the wheel is turned right a bit, is there a way to fix this and have the steering tightened up and less slop or pulling?

Thanks for any help or advice
There is a way to fix the steering wheel, don't remember how but there is a way. And the slop is probably tie rods, balljoints, or other steering parts that are worn out.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:59 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Dome light from a junk yard.Name:  2013-07-05150411_zps0b6bd988.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  37.8 KB
Name:  IMG_2042_zps4a6b0068.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  26.1 KB
Name:  IMG_2041_zps2f453b12.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  30.4 KB
Old 10-13-2013, 07:00 PM

AND has anyone else ever had the temperature gauge never getting close to the 1/2 mark? Mine seems to stay below 1/4... Heater blows somewhat warm, not "hot" but comfortable warm. Simple heater hose/duct under the hood comes to mind but want to figure out the gauge as well.
Mine did this because the P.O. had put a 180* thermostat in. I replaced it with a factory temp 195* thermostat and my temp gauge runs at 1/2 and heater blows hot.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Teuf
Dome light from a junk yard.
How difficult was that swap? Was actually thinking of that exact swap, but also one that goes to the rear of the seat where the head meets
Old 10-13-2013, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by ftbshop
Mine did this because the P.O. had put a 180* thermostat in. I replaced it with a factory temp 195* thermostat and my temp gauge runs at 1/2 and heater blows hot.
I was just thinking of that... May have to check it out. Due for a tune up anyways. Plugs, wires, air/fuel filter, thermostat. All fluids flushed and topped off. Runs fine as it is, but would rather get it all the maintenance done with. Any suggestion for front/rear differentials and transmission/TC fluid?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by 83Toyota88
I got a rear view mirror with auto dim/compass plus a overhead console from a 96 Suburban I put in my 1st gen. Still have to put a headliner on it though:

[IMG][/IMG]

put new fabric on it and painted it match my interior:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
^how about this
Old 10-14-2013, 09:51 AM
osv

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
you can buy a puller at any auto parts store, or even borrow/rent one from certain chain stores.

when you pull it, it makes a sudden loud snap, and it's free... it can be rotated slightly at that point, then bolted back on.

do not overtighten the steering wheel nut!! read the factory spec.

slop could be anything... jack up the front end, have someone in the cab moving the wheel back and forth slightly, look for play.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, I just traded my 96 honda civic for a 87 pickup ex cab. As she sits, it has a strong running 22r, 5-spd manual, however many lifts on new 35" tires and regeared to IM GUESSING 5.29's. Aftermarket bucket seats and probably the nicest I've ever sat my fat-behind in. I've owned a 93 4Runner and a 94 ex cab pickup... Not too knowledgeable on the 2nd gen pickups...

Few questions pertaining my rig...

2.) the heater works, but when in "off" position and only moved over one hash-mark, it blows as if it's on high, no change in fan speed. Is there a way to fix this and make it work like it's supposed to in each setting?
6.)
1.) Solved.
2.) It's your fan control switch. Rip off the dash and pull out the actual switch, you'll most likely find that it has short circuited to only work on "off" and "high". Mine did the same thing. If that's not it, check the resister behind the glove box. But my money's on the switch.
3.) If you install the map light from an SR5, I recommend changing the bulbs out to 9 or 12 LED lights. I ordered these:
2pcs 31mm 12-SMD 1.25" 12V Festoon Dome Light LED Bulbs + STICKER DE3175 DE3022 DE3021 3175 - White : Amazon.com : Automotive 2pcs 31mm 12-SMD 1.25" 12V Festoon Dome Light LED Bulbs + STICKER DE3175 DE3022 DE3021 3175 - White : Amazon.com : Automotive
and they work awesome. I replaced the dome and map lights so ordered two sets, can't beat the price of $8. Make sure you put them in right, if backwards they don't light up.
4.) Can't say.
5.) Take off the panel on the inside of the door. Most likely the rod slipped/broke off the handle. See FSM: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../3frontdoo.pdf