86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fender clean up after a cut and inner fender question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Fender clean up after a cut and inner fender question

Ok I've had to do some grinding on the rig to clear the new skins (pinch welds front and rear) and it looks like I'll be doing some serious cutting after I wheel it and check some clearance issues this weekend. By serious I mean I'm going to probably take off 4-6 inches on the front of the rears and that much on the rear of the fronts, both at an angle at the bottom of the fenders. This thing is going to rub like crazy if I don't remove some metal.

What have ya'll used to "clean up" the cuts? I can use some spray paint to sort of seal the edges and prevent rust but I hate to do it. Rhino liner is an option but that'd involve doing more than I want to get into since I'll want to line the rockers also. Is there an "edge sealer" that someone has used?

Also thinking I'm going to have to pull the inner fenders on the fronts and am looking for options to replace them, something smaller that fits higher up in the fender parhaps?

edit: While doing all the grinding I removed the chrome on the rig and found some freaking rust..... so much for rust free, so I'll have to address that before we move to Washington or it'll just get worse. I'm thinking clean up and POR-15 then something over that to help seal it.

Last edited by Junkers88; 03-29-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can use finger nail polish to seal the cuts. use clear and it won't stand out or try to match to your paint as close as possible.

When I cut my 89 I removed the Fender liners and just tossed them. I never noticed a problem without them being there.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just hit it with some black spray paint, a little over spray never hurt nobody

Lets see where you are gonna cut!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:05 AM

Spray them with some clear enamel would be my recommendation, or any color that will match your paint close enough.

Get some pics up showing where you're going to cut, I may have to do something similar when I move up to 35's.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't leave a sharp edge, turn over a lip, front and rear, otherwise you'll be slicing tires.

I used to have some fender trimming firewall tubbing pics but I don't think I've rehosted them since the new site.

:wabbit2:
Old 03-29-2011, 10:38 AM

Pics.

Front.
Name:  misc005.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  121.1 KB
Rear.
Name:  misc004.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  124.6 KB

For the record I'm not really happy, or comfortable, cutting on this rig. It's pretty damn clean and I wanted to keep it that way but I wanted the bigger tires and wheels and am paying for that now. I could have saved all this by just buying another set of 31's but then it probably wouldn't look like, or wheel like, I want it to. Or so I hope.

Wabbit~ Yeah I won't leave any sharp edges, oh and I got your spacers put on today and LOVE the wider stance. Thanks again. (side note, I couldn't find the torque specs online for them and there wasn't any literature in the box so I set them at 60ft/lbs. Is that correct?)

trlskunk~ Any issues with mud and things getting thrown up into the fenders with no liners? I have an intake routed through the passengers side and don't want to ruin it.

Last edited by Junkers88; 03-29-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
http://www.wabfab.org/Tech/wheel-spa...tructions.html

:wabbit2:
Old 03-29-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Mud won't be an issue if you give your rig a shower after wheeling, like you should.

As far as cutting the fenders, consider letting a body shop cut the fenders as well as rolling the lip leftover. Will result in a cleaner and more professional appearance
Old 03-29-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Thanks!!!! I'll retorque them this week and use the red locktite instead of the blue that I had on hand. You are the MAN!!!!
Old 03-29-2011, 10:47 AM

Do you have the filter in the wheel area under the fender or just sealed pipe?
I did have mud getting thrown in there but a quick wash took care of that so i never worried about it. if you don't want it to stick you can spray your fender underside with WD40 and the mud will fall right off for quite a while(this is an old Enduro trick my dad taught me when riding trails so it didn't stick to your front fender and weigh it down.)
That rear cut is gonna be dicey. I never had a problem with my 35's rubbing right there. mine rubbed on top from when i had cut my bump stops with 31's How much clearance do you have in the back? Maybe relocate your axle back an Inch and it won't rub and then it's not a permanent modification to a very hard to replace body section.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by peow130
Mud won't be an issue if you give your rig a shower after wheeling, like you should.

As far as cutting the fenders, consider letting a body shop cut the fenders as well as rolling the lip leftover. Will result in a cleaner and more professional appearance
I didn't even consider that as an option. Thank you. Oh and I wash this rig at least 3 times a month and after every trip off road, hell I even wax it.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by tlrskunk
Do you have the filter in the wheel area under the fender or just sealed pipe?
Just a pipe but it isn't sealed yet, I'm still working out my snorkel so it's a temp setup.

Originally Posted by tlrskunk
That rear cut is gonna be dicey. I never had a problem with my 35's rubbing right there. mine rubbed on top from when i had cut my bump stops with 31's How much clearance do you have in the back? Maybe relocate your axle back an Inch and it won't rub and then it's not a permanent modification to a very hard to replace body section.
I don't have that much flex due to the addition of coils (Zuk mod). Relocating the axle at this point isn't really an option since I don't have a place to do the work. I can cut in small pieces and flex it until it clears though. I've got a friend with a fork lift and we can use it to check clearance by flexing the rear on level ground.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Just a pipe but it isn't sealed yet, I'm still working out my snorkel so it's a temp setup.

I don't have that much flex due to the addition of coils (Zuk mod). Relocating the axle at this point isn't really an option since I don't have a place to do the work. I can cut in small pieces and flex it until it clears though. I've got a friend with a fork lift and we can use it to check clearance by flexing the rear on level ground.
If you have a forklift and a drill plus the required size socket/or wrench for your U-bolts you can relocate your axle. Don't cut your rear there. PLEASE!!

call my Cell and i can talk you through what i am thinking easier than typing lol 918-six40-1454 Just don't cut your rear.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:16 AM

Links as discussed
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shims.shtml
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Images/Shim12.jpg
Old 03-29-2011, 11:26 AM

Thank you!! You made my day with that phone call and the advice. I'm crazy happy that I don't have to cut any sheet metal on the rear.

Take care and thanks again.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
I removed my fender liners and tossed em. Used pliers to bend over the metal to create an edge. And I dont worry about my paint.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Whattya got 33's? I know I got 4" on ya but I've never cut squat of my rig. I can stuff those 35's just fine.....

Name:  img1267980028852.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  79.0 KB
Old 03-30-2011, 07:05 AM

Logan it's the new 285's and the rears look like they are going to munch fender when I stuff them. Should find out this week.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
this is a good thread to see how it could be done and clean up really well in my opinion. This guy took the time to do a clean job on the fender trimming. http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164292
Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 AM

Got some cutting done and you really can't tell from the side that anything has been cut (which makes me pretty damn happy) I did a little flexing and there is one spot on the front that still rubs but I'm going to need another set of eyes to find it. As far as the rear goes I re-beat the welds a little and flexed it and the axle seems to move up and towards the rear a little as it compresses. So far I'm clearing the front of the rear fender by about 1/4". If it does end up hitting when I wheel it then I'll relocate the axle back an inch and see if that does the trick.

Thank ya'll for all the help.

Quick Reply: Fender clean up after a cut and inner fender question