Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Is it a federal 22RE Or California 22RE

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it a federal 22RE Or California 22RE

Does anyone know how to tell if an engine is a federal or CA configuration???

It makes a huge difference when it comes to smog, Just don't know what to look for. At one point I paid attention to Chilton because they have a list of pics with the different configurations but I found they Chilton has misled me on a couple of things so I was hoping that someone here might know how to tell the diff. Any information would be greatly helpful...
Old 02-19-2014, 09:59 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
on the exhaust side of engine, down toward oil pan, there is an identification plate for your motor. I believe if it ends in a "C" that you have a CA engine - so that would be "22rec". also, you will have additional vacuum lines and smog equipment like EGR, etc. is this what you wanted to know?

Last edited by highonpottery; 02-19-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:22 AM

Identification plate

Thank you for the heads up, I will check later today and know once and for all what it is...fingers crossed for federal.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:42 AM

you live in CA I'm assuming? you could also try calling up a smog shop that can do repairs (vs smog only shop where they don't know anything) and inquire about what specifically they have to look for by law.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:47 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Have you made nice with your local Toyota dealer.

Vin will tell you all you need to know.

Thing is with these trucks one just never knows just what might end up removed or installed. after all these years.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
What year? Some ways of telling will be the tag under the hood (if it is still there) just above the battery. Can have two O2 sensors, one in front of the cat and one after the cat, a sensor in the EGR, and more then usual vacuum lines.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:24 PM

Highonpottery- yes I live in CA. I did take it to have it smogged once and what he said...u are missing a barcode that tells me what should be on this year engine and then pointed to the air filter, headers, muffler and said those might not be legal in CA.

Wyoming9-There is no Toyota dealers in town close to me, the nearest dealership is out state..OR. My truck has been down for one reason or another since Christmas, hard to make the trip over the pass. I understand your reasoning though. I have spoken to Toyota about my truck and they called her a "Frankenyota" and want pics when she is up running and legal

About the VIN- Tuesday(truck)has a very unique vin that the state of CA gave her, it states on her up and coming title that she is "Special Construction" Year..0000! Apparently in CA they frown upon 4 or more VIN#s. When we took her to visit the CHP they thought they had a "live one". It took 4 officers an hour to make sure nothing was stolen, I was freaking out because I bought her just the way she sits. Thought I was going to have to send a possy after the seller...she came back clean, shooo! I know what is on her but I am still in the process of learning, she is my first Toyota and my first 4x4. With the exception of a Quad.

Last edited by muddmadness; 02-19-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:39 PM

Terrys87- She does not have the original body on her so all of the tags and stuff are gone. I have to go to the smog referee and have them inspect the motor and give her a barcode so she can be smogged by a local tech. The truck currently has only one o2 censor, an egr valve with no sensor, street headers, flowmaster muffler with no tail pipe(previous owner broke it off in the swamping incident).

what year?-0000, Special construction. The engine is an 89, the chasis is a 93, the body is a 79-80(79 bed, 80 cab) the tranny is out of a 95, and I believe the wiring harness is out of an 86. Tossed salad on wheels

What qualifies as more than usual? Not trying to be funny but she is my first to have to be smogged in this state and my first fuel injection rebuild so I really don't have a basis of comparison for vacuum lines.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Man, you really need to post some picture of that thing.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:55 PM

with all that said, my best guess would be to consult with a smog referee and see what they say. they would be the most knowledgeable about these things, since people have to see them when you start mismatching frames, bodies, and engines.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:30 PM

The blue monster:)

Yes I agree but I am still going to look for the identification plate so I know more what to expect.

Inferno451- If you go to my profile there are pics of her I currently can't load anymore pics on the thread because I used up all my attachments trying to fix the wiring harness...big job! Ok I was able to load one but the better ones are in my profile album and I also entered her into the picture battles too.

https://www.yotatech.com/members/mud...-start-lol.jpg

Pic of the engine at the point that I started to work on it.
Attached Thumbnails Is it a federal 22RE Or California 22RE-img_7047-small.jpg  

Last edited by muddmadness; 02-19-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:22 PM

I think I may have voted for/against her in the picture battles, nice ride. (:
Old 02-19-2014, 04:39 PM

For or against

Thank you, that is why I don't ever give up on her

Once we get past smog and brake check, I will have some strength welding done on her and have bumpers put on too. The weld job on some of her support structuring isn't up to my standards of safe just yet some of them look half done and I want to add some cross support structuring under cab and bed. The body is old and needs emotional and structural support.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If it's a cali truck, it will have a smog pump. Easiest way to tell...

You have to look up what and where a smog pump is your self...hint. Google.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:49 PM

Highonpottery- I think that mix and match can be a good thing if done right, but Tuesday didn't have that advantage when I found her she was on the brink of falling apart because she wasn't built right in the beginning. If you look at some of the pics in my profile album you will see the junk wiring connects that I started with...I was completely astonished that she made it to my front yard when I brought her home. Unfortunately I didn't take pics of everything as I went along from the beginning, but for example when I replaced the alternator I had to pull sticks and mud out of the alternator from where they decide to take her swimming in the mudhole. The list of these as long as her list of years.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:04 PM

This is how Tuesday's motor is configured

This pic is the only one I have seen that looks exactly like mine, I am missing the Dashpot(need new one). What is missing here that I have is the 2 vacuum lines from power steering side that go to the EFI intake
Attached Thumbnails Is it a federal 22RE Or California 22RE-pic-89-22re.gif  

Last edited by muddmadness; 02-19-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:30 PM

Snobdds

Here she is....tada

https://www.yotatech.com/members/mud...k-progress.jpg

Had to post the link used up attachments on the wiring task it was a big one.

Still trying to figure out how to clear them out....

BTW I don't have a smog pump, the pic of the engine on this thread is what my engine looks like only dirtier, I think there is a pic of the engine in my album.

Last edited by muddmadness; 02-19-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:52 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Pretty much like I stated One has no idea What year parts end up on trucks of this vintage.

It is to bad I am so far away I am forever fixing these trucks for people.

It always is a Labor of Love!

I do like the Color.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:15 AM

I love my truck

I don't care how bad she had it before she came to me. I will diligently continue to bring her back to life. The fine tuning has to come next for smog her brakes are almost satisfactory. I bought new bleeder valves and I am flushing the system today she has mud in the brake fluid not good! I have taken her to town 3 times since I overhauled the electrical and she is getting extremely good gas mileage. Much better than it has ever been, its 35 miles in one direction and she is only using an 8th of a tank. Impressive to me considering that she has 35 tires.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:26 AM

Inferno-Tuesday is a family member, living, breathing and completely loved Only those who don't know Tuesday don't see this I have a picture of her attitude days I will put it up on the thread so all can see, she is alive with tude....lol

Quick Reply: Is it a federal 22RE Or California 22RE