Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Faulty Air Locker Solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Faulty Air Locker Solenoid?

Just installed a rear air locker on my runner. When I turn on the compressor it works as it should but when I hit the locker switch all of the air blows out of the exhaust port of the solenoid and doesn't engaged the locker at all and the light on the switch doesn't light up. I found in an ARB operation manual it is a bad solenoid. Has anyone had any experience with this? It's brand new which is a little frustrating. Thanks
Old 12-21-2015, 07:50 PM

After I researched more I found out it may be mounted backwards.. but I have the side labeled 1 into the compressor and side labeled 2 into the airline. The only other think I can think of is that it's because I mounted it upside down for space saving reasons but I have found on other threads that it should work fine mounted upside down?
Old 12-21-2015, 11:17 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Upside down is one thing having the ports hooked up wrong is something else.

change your air lines what do you have to lose .

Parts slip through quality control all the time although getting new parts that fail seems more common now
Old 12-23-2015, 07:44 PM

I tried facing the exhaust port on the solenoid upward and that didn't work.

I tried switching the ports, 2 into the compressor and 1 into the airline and that didn't work.

I noticed that there may be a little gear oil on the port.

I don't know what to do. Anymore help would be awesome. Just want my air locker to work.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:52 AM

Port one goes into compressor. Gear oil coming through your air line usually means a clogged diff breather. Did you try calling Arb? They do have a tech department for this reason.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:21 PM

I flipped the toggle switch cover around and now it comes on and works.
I YouTube'd the sounds and I believe it is working correctly. I hear a very faint click in the differential when I engage the switch. The light comes on and stays on. And when I turn it off it exhausts the way it should.

So I think the problem is solved but do have a couple other questions..
Is it normal for the compressor to turn on when I hit the locker switch to fill up the airline?
I have a Trail-Gear Creeper diff breather, would that cause any problems with the possibility of there being some gear oil reaching the solenoid? I'm just not sure if the air locker really needs and open hose for it to work well..

Thanks for the help dudes
Old 12-28-2015, 12:23 AM

Red face

Glad you got the Solenoid to work!!

Is your breather line kinked or is the breather full of mud so it does not work??? It will push out when it gets warm if blocked.

Air compressor if your air system leaks the compressor will start when you engage the locker

It also depends just how the air system is configured .
Old 12-29-2015, 11:17 AM

This is Trail-Gear's Creeper diff breather that I am using.

The compressor doesn't turn on every time I turn on the locker switch. I put Teflon paste on everything, guess I'll go around with some soapy water to spray on the connections.

EDIT: I did run the airline probably the longest way to the back. The compressor is mounted under the hood on the driver side near the brake and clutch reservoirs. The airline I ran across the engine bay then straight down the passenger side. I did this because running it down the driver side puts the airline way too close to the exhaust downpipe. I kinda thought it may be normal for the compressor to turn on to fill the airline when the locker switch is engaged, but you said it's not so..

Last edited by SMOD; 12-29-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
RE; ARB lockers

I have the ARB HD compressor and F/R lockers. If the rear is disengaged it releases the front too.

Just using the rear, the compressor turns on 2 times for every 3 times I engage the locker.

Mine has been great for 3 years now. Operation is the same today as the first day I installed it. Ambient temps change it a little.

I mounted the compressor under the hood on driver side fender. I routed the air intake trough a hose that goes into the cab where the filter attaches. This might help if you go into water.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:18 PM

Great info, thank you guys for helping me out. Glad I finally have my air locker figured out and can't wait to get the gears fully broken in and get on the trail! Snow wheelin is calling my name lol
Old 12-30-2015, 12:11 AM

Red face

As for your gear oil leaks .

Things might be starting to wear enough..

One never knows till things are apart.