86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fair price for differential?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fair price for differential?

I found a set of diffs for my 86 ifs 4Runner 2.4 5speed. They are geared to 4.88 which is what I eventually want to swap in. Does $500 for the pair sound right? I really have no idea, but it seems a lot cheaper that getting a ring and pinion set up. Plus if they fail or show metal shavings on my magnetic plug I can return them.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Sounds good to me.

Look through gearinstall.com for things to check. Search and research too.

Good time to install a locker too!!!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:10 PM

Ya I've been reading up on this stuff. I'm gonna rebuild the axles somewhat, just want to start amassing parts over time. Diffs, cv axles, bearings, seals and of course, some air lockers... Just wasn't sure what the going rate was for these. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2015, 02:13 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
If you are in the amassing parts stage and are going to buy air lockers you might as well spend the coin on new years/master install kits. Adding air lockers (like an ARB) will require the kits be set up anyway.

Zuk (http://gearinstalls.com/) charges $250 to set up diffs
Old 01-09-2015, 07:10 AM

Zuk does awesome work!!! He's set up three dice for me and I'm very pleased. But if I've learned one thing about these dice. Is all and all my next set of difs will be new prolly from TG. Simply because zuk has found many things in the two difs that I had gotten that we regeared and asked him to do a health check on.

Since installing air locker requires re-set up on gears. Might be a better cost to just install "lunch box locker"
Old 01-09-2015, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Zuk does awesome work!!! He's set up three dice for me and I'm very pleased. But if I've learned one thing about these dice. Is all and all my next set of difs will be new prolly from TG. Simply because zuk has found many things in the two difs that I had gotten that we regeared and asked him to do a health check on.

Since installing air locker requires re-set up on gears. Might be a better cost to just install "lunch box locker"
SO MANY OPTIONS. I've talked myself in and out of every different path. I'm not trying to start a discussion about the options, way to many threads on that already, more just wanted to know about the going rate for 4.88 pulled diffs.

My goal for this truck is a DD with very solid off-road capabilities. Thats why I was shying away from an automatic locker. I really just need to find someone with one in the rear and see how it drives. I live in Colorado so if the truck drives crappy when turning in snow and slick, well, doesn't really do me a whole lot of good.

Btw... that fully assembled diff with the arb from TG makes me blush
Old 01-09-2015, 09:06 AM

I get what your saying.

There's a nice thread on lockers. I've had a loc-rite in rear in snow. It's something you have.....

I'm double gloved heading to a truama. Hit ya up later
Old 01-09-2015, 10:20 AM

I get what your saying.

There's a nice thread on lockers. I've had a loc-rite in rear in snow. It's something you have.....

I'm double gloved heading to a truama. Hit ya up later
not much of a trauma.

I DD'd a loc-rite for years. So I'm biased. Check out the locker thread. But it is something you have to learn to drive, I found it fun but wife is still traumatized and doesn't care to drive 4rnr still.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Around here, diffs go for $250 each. That's what 3 different yards in my area are charging. Front or rear doesn't matter to them.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:11 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

If you were local you could have them for free if you pulled them

I think lots of the cost is labor I know in my case it would be

So I should pull the differentials before the trucks go for scrap??
Old 01-11-2015, 04:51 PM

Depending on the condition, and the amount of miles that sounds like a good deal for a set of diffs that are already set up. If you have any questions about set up you can check our installation guide. I would suggest adding a locker or two while you have them out! Lock-Right lockers are an inexpensive way to go.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:29 PM

Soooo. I made the first step towards getting the truck locked and regeared. I went to yota Jims today and he had a front diff from a manual hub '94 pulled and ready to go. The rear flange felt nice and tight with very little play. I figured this was the best way to go, it's stock toyota right?!?!? Anyway, now I just need to buy that pesky fully assembled 4.88 rear diff with the ARB from trail gear. When did I become this addicted?
Old 01-29-2015, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by mountainbrew
Soooo. I made the first step towards getting the truck locked and regeared. I went to yota Jims today and he had a front diff from a manual hub '94 pulled and ready to go. The rear flange felt nice and tight with very little play. I figured this was the best way to go, it's stock toyota right?!?!? Anyway, now I just need to buy that pesky fully assembled 4.88 rear diff with the ARB from trail gear. When did I become this addicted?
We offer complete professionally built 3rd members with the best quality parts in the industry! Check out our website for more information or give us a call and we can get you a price quote.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:01 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Like just mentioned, TG is not the only source for a built drop-in diff. I'd get some low profile magnetic plugs before filling them up.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
Like just mentioned, TG is not the only source for a built drop-in diff. I'd get some low profile magnetic plugs before filling them up.
I agree, I swear by magnetic drain plugs. I have them on front and rear diff, trans, TC and motor. Although I currently run the hillbilly set up and just threw some hard drive magnets on the stock plugs.

As far as sourcing the third member is concerned, TG just seems to be the best price. Simple as that. I got quotes from just about everywhere that will assemble one. JD was very helpful and courteous, but was also an extra $200 to my door for the same product AFAIK, at least my very novice self couldn't find much difference. I don't mind paying more for a better product, but the jury seems to be out on nitro vs G2 vs Yukon vs (insert gear manufacture here), and the same goes for TG vs marlin vs JD vs ECGS vs (insert third member assembler here). I would imagine it's more about who sets up your R&P and the warranty. TG is 12 month, I will look into the others. If I am a idiot and am missing something, please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by mountainbrew; 01-30-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by mountainbrew
I agree, I swear by magnetic drain plugs. I have them on front and rear diff, trans, TC and motor. Although I currently run the hillbilly set up and just threw some hard drive magnets on the stock plugs.

As far as sourcing the third member is concerned, TG just seems to be the best price. Simple as that. I got quotes from just about everywhere that will assemble one. JD was very helpful and courteous, but was also an extra $200 to my door for the same product AFAIK, at least my very novice self couldn't find much difference. I don't mind paying more for a better product, but the jury seems to be out on nitro vs G2 vs Yukon vs (insert gear manufacture here), and the same goes for TG vs marlin vs JD vs ECGS vs (insert third member assembler here). I would imagine it's more about who sets up your R&P and the warranty. TG is 12 month, I will look into the others. If I am a idiot and am missing something, please let me know. Thanks!
I agree, I've seen the worst out comes from the best gears and novice installers. Really gears cutters seem to shift position for best and not best. Also prices very depending on the time frame of purchase today's best price for product may change in 3 months.

Good luck!!!
Old 01-30-2015, 05:16 PM

I agree, I've seen the worst out comes from the best gears and novice installers. Really gears cutters seem to shift position for best and not best. Also prices very depending on the time frame of purchase today's best price for product may change in 3 months. Good luck!!!
That's kinda what I was thinking. I'm hoping TG can set us a R&P pretty well. I figure with a proper break in period and 12 month warranty I should be ok.