Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Failed Emissions/Smog!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed Emissions/Smog!

Hey guys, i have a small problem.

I went in to get the 88 22RE smog-checked, and it failed JUST BARELY on the unburnt HC portion of the low-speed test.

Limit is 200, i pushed 246. Everything else is plenty in check. The guy at the shop said I could probably just clean out the throttle body and be good.

I recently changed the air filter, spark plugs, and the oil and filter. I recently re-adjusted the timing to 5 degrees before TDC with the diag. plug jumpered.

He said the oxygen sensor probably isn't at fault, because that would send the CO number sky-high.

So, anyone have any ideas on where to start? Could maladjusted valves be to blame? Think i could just fix it by cleaning out the throttle body and maybe running some FI cleaner through the tank?

TIA NaeS
Old 05-29-2007, 06:53 PM

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts
if he said to clean out the T.B. id start there. seafoam the hell out of the engine and take it back to have it rechecked.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Seafoam, drive around and blow out all the crap then go get tested again. Putting in some high octane gas and some booster might help too.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:17 PM

wouldn't the higher octane add hc's? since it takes longer to burn, and these things don't need more than regular.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:03 PM

thats what i thought too...so seafoam in the gas and oil, run it through, clean out the TB afterwards, check the plugs again (seafoam has killed my plugs in the past), and re-check? any other suggestions?

also, i see some sensor on the intake plumbing...i'd think it's a MAF, but it's not like any of the MAF's i've seen in my life. Could this be at fault? is there a way i could maybe, like, make the spring stronger, so it thinks there's less air going into the engine, thus making it run leaner?

ATB NaeS
Old 05-30-2007, 11:21 AM

would you guys seafoam the oil or the gas? or both?
Old 05-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I would just do the intake.

When doing it in the gas it is possible to loosen up rust and whatnot in your lines/tank causing blockage.

When you put it in the oil you have to change your oil 500 miles after, then change at like 1000 or so.

But I just did the brake booster line and it seemed to work.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:34 PM

If it is that close to passing, retard the ignition timing a couple degrees and take it on a nice long drive down the freeway before you have it checked again. HC is unburned fuel, the hotter you get it the better the HC emissions will be. Sometimes the SMOG tech's don't check the timing so a couple degrees of retard will be no big deal. Did the last SMOG tech check the timing?
Old 05-31-2007, 02:26 PM

Make sure your TPS is adjusted properly. If not your timing will not advance in idle mode thus bad emmisions.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:40 PM

ok, they didn't check the timing. Our techs are lazy, they just hook up the tach wire, key in the VIN, and stick in the probe. They don't even look to see if i had cats until it failed.

So i seafoamed the oil (couldn't hurt anyway, i could use an oil change soon), and the gas (could use a new fuel filter also).

I was thinking, i'm flushing the seafoam out of the gas, then i'll fill it up with 86 octane, retard the timing a bit, and test er again.

Also, come to think of it, i don't think i drove it the whole 15 minutes like i was supposed to before the test. Maybe like 5-10, because the emissions place is right down the street.

Results to come! I'll be testing sometime next week, after i fill up again.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

I ran mine for about 20 minutes on the highway before my emissions test. I think I went from Eubank to Tijeras and back on I-40, and then to the quick-check on Menaul and Eubank (or Wyoming, I can't remember), and passed with flying colors. That on top of the seafoam treatment and timing should do the trick.

Andy.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:20 PM

run the seafoam thru the brake booster the oil isnt going to do anything for passing emissions..., and the fuel is not the most effective.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i welded in a new $69 cat and it passed fine
Old 06-09-2007, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by 91TPU
run the seafoam thru the brake booster the oil isnt going to do anything for passing emissions..., and the fuel is not the most effective.
Actually changing the engine oil will help with emissions, especially if it is a couple PPM's that you are failing on. Everyone should have fresh oil when doing emissions testing.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:52 PM

Thought I'd revive this thread since I'm having the same problem. I live in Vegas and I guess they just passed a new law where you don't get a print out of how you passed. They only let you know what you fail on so those are the only numbers I can give. I failed HC at idle even though I had idle set high around 1100rpm. Failed at 617ppm and the limit was 220ppm.

Figure I'll change my oil since I need to do that anyway, bump back my timing a bit and possibly get some of that gaurunteed to pass junk for my gas. Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated. Has a fresh tune-up and runs well (although it's a tad rough at low rpm but not bad at all for a 22re). Cat is less than a year old. It's a 93' Toyota with a 22re. I'm also putting in a new O2 sensor (denso from sparkplugs.com, got it for $90 shipped to my door). Is there anything I'm missing? I ran it plenty hot before the test so the Cat isn't the issue.

Thanks for your help guys!

Last edited by osb40000; 02-01-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:16 PM

bueler, bueler....
Old 02-03-2008, 09:46 PM

hey buddy

having just got my truck through smog, i know a few tricks.

First, you're on the right track with changing the oil, and the spark plugs. Now i have a few more for you.

The springs in the VAFM (vane air flow meter) get weak over the years. Pop that sucker open, loosen the screw, and tighten the gear wheel against the spring, maybe 4 clicks or so. Search around for more information regarding this mod. "AFM" usually turns up a few results.

Next, check your throttle position sensor. Mine was all out of wack. Basically it senses the position of the butterfly valve when the throttle is open, but also has a switch in it to tell when you are completely off the throttle. Mine was set so that it never thought i was off the throttle, and continually ran rich (meaning too many unburnt HC's).

Also, check your timing. Make sure you set the diagnostic jumper when setting the "static" timing, otherwise you'll never get it just right.

FYI, when my truck passed, it was idling around 700rpm. I think the emissions sticker calls for 600-900rpm idle. Might try lowering it just a touch.

Your catalytic has to do with reducing the CO and NOx levels. If you are failing on unburnt HC, then your cat has nothing to do with it. this has to do with the fuel delivery system (thus the sensors i mentioned).

Hope this helps!

ATB NaeSLaS
Old 02-03-2008, 09:47 PM

oh, and welcome to Yotatech. Glad you went searching and dug this thread up before just posting.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:36 PM

Thanks! I'll play around with the AFM. I just got a new denso O2 sensor as well. Worst case scenario I can pull out the factory service manual and have a go at it.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:22 PM

I also have a 88 toyota pickup 22re efi, and i'm having trouble getting it to pass smog. the hydro carbons were at 320 and only allowed 120 I think. I've changed the plugs, wires, air filter, cap and rotor, and also ran seafoam through the tank, and guaranteed to pass smog.

the head was rebuilt and the timing chain and a rocker arm replaced

any helpful ideas

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Failed Emissions/Smog!