Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Failed emissions on a fresh motor? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Failed emissions on a fresh motor? Please help

I had a feeling I was going to fail and It did. It smells really rich.

22re, 350 miles on full rebuild.

HC load 121 load standard 220 PASS
CO load 1.83 load standard 1.20 FAIL

HC idle 350 idle standard 220 FAIL
CO idle 3.17 idle standard 1.20 FAIL

The truck has:
New 02 sensor
New plugs, wires, cap, rotor
Fresh 15 mile old oil change
New air filter
R/R fuel injectors
New fuel filter
Timing at 5 btdc with dig. port shorted
The truck is not throwing any codes nor does it have any stored.
It runs awesome no misses or anything, just seems to be running rich.

Any thoughts? I'm going out to make sure we have all the vac lines run correctly.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by fdeeznutz; 01-26-2009 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's rich, you can always adjust the VAFM and lean it out.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but I would like to find out what the problem is and fix it.

I went through the vac lines and all looked good. I did find a clogged EGR vacuum modulator filter and a clogged vac line from the modulator to the BVSV. Got it all fixed up and working properly. I'm not too sure if these problems would relate the the failed emissions though. Anyone have any more suggestions?
Old 01-26-2009, 04:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How did you fix the egr modulator filter? Mine is dirty and clogged but I can never find a fitting filter for it.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by DupermanDave
How did you fix the egr modulator filter? Mine is dirty and clogged but I can never find a fitting filter for it.
I took it out and blasted it with compressed air like the FSM states. I checked it according to the FSM and all the right air is going through all the right holes

I'm really confused as to why this stupid truck won't pass. Almost everything is new and it runs great. I'm even getting respectable gas mileage (around 20 mpg)

I talked to an emissions place and asked them if it looked like it could be caused by a worn cat and they said no. Anyone think that would be a possibility? It's got close to 180k miles on it as far as I can tell.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:10 PM

Not to be mister obvious, but:
If your engine is new, running great, not throwing codes and not shooting out tons of smoke. Have you replaced your cat?

I know it sounds stupid, but the cat is that thing that unless fully clogged can be weak and not doing anything and you wouldnt know it. Also, the process is the cat is a chemical one, uses heat to do it... most cats need a good 10-15 minutes to get really hot and start functioning.

I say this, becuase everything else seems to be fine. If your cat is bad, you will fail no matter what magic you do in the engine. is it an old cat? They go, 100k is the new legal limit they have to last. If your running a 22re, its an older yota meaning my bet is the cat probably died at around 50k.

Just saying. Replace or at least inspect it. You can shine the hell out of that engine, a bad cat...your GONNA fail.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:11 PM

Just saw your post. 180k on a cat. its gone.
its a chemical reaction.. over time it gets clogged and goes bad. They must be replaced.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:14 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you only have 350 miles on the engine, the rings probably havn`t seated completely. I would put some more miles on the engine before trying to smog it. As for the cat, if it has that many miles on it i would definatly replace it, they do wear out.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:15 PM

Didnt think of that. true. need a good 1000 miles to seat everything. I would wait as well. and I second the replace the cat.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:18 PM

Yea, the cat is definitely original. Looks like I'll be buying one here soon. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding getting it smogged so soon. I don't have any choice, the tags expire the end of this month. I figured it would be ok since it passed 6 months ago with a blown HG and low compression on one cylinder. Just barely, but it passed.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:27 PM

yea..theres where your cat went. A blown HG and a bad cylinder will throw all kinds of stuff into your exhaust. That probably fried your cat.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:36 PM

Looking at them right now. Is the Magnaflow converter good? Just saw one on flea-bay for $65 shipped.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:38 PM

I cant speak for any particular one, but the nice thing is cats are regulated by law.. they must perform a SPECIFIC function.. so pretty much anything you buy will work. Obviously there are higher brands, etc. than others but unless you get one from some guy in a trench coat your gonna be fine.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:43 PM

also. while the cat will probably let you pass. You said it smelled rich. Unburnt fuel smell? it could be becuase of the cat, but im curious..on your engine the mixture is ecu controlled..so? Sure nothing up?

I would lean it a bit if it is rich, maybe have it checked.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:58 PM

I don't know for sure that it's running rich. The exhaust just has a really strong exhaust odor. With the gas mileage I'm getting 20mpg, I can't say it's running super rich.

I'm going out to pull the cat off now, I'll post a picture here in a few minutes.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:28 PM

Hmmm. The honeycomb looks like it's intact. It does look like on one side it collapsed inward toward the other end. What do you think? It looks pretty good to me(it's not black or burnt looking at all)

other side

Last edited by fdeeznutz; 01-26-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That cat is toast. I put a magnaflow cat on my 4Runner, so it should work on your truck.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by myyota
If you only have 350 miles on the engine, the rings probably havn`t seated completely. I would put some more miles on the engine before trying to smog it. As for the cat, if it has that many miles on it i would definatly replace it, they do wear out.
Exactly! Put some miles on it, seat those rings. Low compression can cause high CO. Put a new cat. on change the oil. You could check your coolant temp. sensor also. It could be causing the rich run.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:58 PM

What was the NOX #'s. If it is low check out your air injection.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GVOLCRunner
I cant speak for any particular one, but the nice thing is cats are regulated by law.. they must perform a SPECIFIC function.. so pretty much anything you buy will work. Obviously there are higher brands, etc. than others but unless you get one from some guy in a trench coat your gonna be fine.
Not soo much, and definitely not in Cali dude. I'm pretty sure AZ is similar to Cali laws.

Buy a stock cat, not an aftermarket high flow or some other ebay performance garbage. Fortunately OBD1 is a little more forgiving. Also Cats lend more to fail on the NOX, not CO.

Quick Reply: Failed emissions on a fresh motor? Please help