Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Extended steering shaft. NO Cutting or Welding Required

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Extended steering shaft. NO Cutting or Welding Required

So I thought I'd share this tech which I recently came across while doing the SAS on my 88 4runner. While moving my front axle and steering box forward I ran into the inevitable problem of the steering shaft being too short. When I slid the solid portion of the shaft out to get additional length, it slid about 2 inches past the plastic friction bushings on the shaft (white colored).

The only two options available was to buy an aftermarket shaft or cut the existing shaft, sleeve it, then re-weld it to get additional length. With my family riding inside, and courtesy to others on the road I didn't like this option. I trust my welds...however if there is a safer or better way I'm all for it.

So I got creative with a bin of parts I had collected.[/COLOR]

I noticed the steering shaft to my old 81 Toyota 4x4 had larger U-joints, was splined like a driveline, and had less parts to fail (I.E. the rag joint) than the factory one that came with my 88 4runner. (SEE PIC BELOW)

The factory 88 4runner steering shaft is on the top, and the factory 81 Toyota 4x4 steering shaft is on the bottom.

I took some measurements and discovered the following:

The overall length of the 81 (TUBE and U-Joint Portion only) was longer than the 88 Tube and U-Joint Portion Only. However, it was still too short for what I needed.

NOW the breakthrough. I noticed the overall length of the solid shaft portion on the 88 measured about 12.5", while the 81 measured about 8.5". (SEE BELOW AGAIN)

So I thought if the solid shafts were the same diameter then they would theoretically slide into the tube portion like factory.

I used a mic on the shafts...and You gotta love Toyota engineering.... They were the SAME!!!!!!!!

So the cliff note version to lengthen is as follows.

Use the solid portion of the steering shaft on the 88 4runner, and the tube/U-Joint portion on the 81 steering shaft to get several more inches of usable length w/o any welding or cutting.

Last edited by dropzone; 09-14-2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: teal color sucks, hard on the eyes
Old 07-03-2011, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
updated photos

Here are some updated photos:

Top is late model 4runner, the bottom is an early 1st gen pickup

When you take the solid rod from the late model and put it into the sleved portion of the early model it makes the entire shaft significantly longer. I used a micrometer on the solid portions and they measure the same.