Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Exhaust Mods....How Loud???

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Mods....How Loud???

I'm restoring my 87 4Runner and in the process need to do some exhaust work. Since its a daily driver, I'm going to keep the pipe size to 2" to keep as much low-end torque as I can. I'll probably go with a Magnaflow straight-through muffler and a long tube header from either LCE or Doug Thorley.

My question is...how do these trucks sound with headers an exhaust? Rice rocket gone bad? Quiet deep growl?

I'm an old man of 31 years now and don't need to wake every baby in the neighborhood anymore (especially my own). A little rumble is okay...but I want it on the same side.

2nd question. Does getting rid of the catalytic converter make a difference? Sound or power wise? Mine is shot and if I don't have to install one I wont. Not required for my year. Anything older than 1988 gets a free ride....safe inspection only.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:59 PM

I am running a 2 1/4 setup with a flowmaster 40 series and I love the sound. Nice rumble to it. If I had to do it over I might have done without the cat. I wish it was just a tad bit louder.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:44 PM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
The previous owner of my Runner installed a Pacesetter header, 2.25 pipe, unknown cat, and Flomaster 40. It sounds great, especially between 2,000 and 2,500 RPM, but it's too loud for me. I'm 20 years old BTW. I'd rather be able to hold a conversation with passengers, or listen to my radio at a normal level.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Skip to 7:18 to hear how mine sounds. Obviously you can't hear how loud it is, but you get an idea of the tone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCL4S_nksgw

Last edited by arlindsay1992; 07-18-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:24 PM

Ran 2 1/4 straight through with a slowmaster on my last Toy, was pretty quiet unless you had the pedal on the floor. FWIW though, my current truck with no cat and the back blown out of a stock muffler is the same way, pretty quiet until I get it up past 3 grand.

I've heard 2 1/4 with a magnaflow before, sounds good but you'll know it's there depending on the size of the muffler used. A regular old turbo muffler is about the best balance of noise/sound I've heard on these trucks.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:32 AM

no cat, stock manifold, no muffler, stack right though the bed, plenty of torque, and sounds mean, thats with stock 2in pipe
Old 07-20-2012, 06:26 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
i have doug thorley headers (555y-c), hi-flow cat, and stock muffler. the muffler quiets everything down, but i can still hear the tone. i'm looking at a larger magnaflow to keep the noise down. the tri-y headers give a nice soud; not too aggressive, but you know there's something there
Old 07-20-2012, 07:38 AM

If you want to keep it quiet, don't do the headers. Equal or non-equal length headers carry an individual cylinder's mechanical and exhaust noises to the collector, which increases the decibles. A log type manifold (stock) jumbles the noises together, cancelling some of it out, plus the cast iron is thicker. If it is a V-6 headers might make spark plug removal a real PITA, as it is already with the manifolds. If you can do it and live with it remove the CAT. However in most cities and municipalities that is illegal, plus you will be polluting more as the unspent fuel is not turned to CO2 and water, which happens in a CAT. It depends on your personal thoughts towards civic duty and responsibility. If I were you I would go with a high flow cat and muffler and keep it at that. If you want to go fast get an old Chevy, Ford or Chrystler. They have a huge aftermarket and all of the cars till, I think 1974, did not come with a cat. In many states, anything below 1982 is consicered a classic and is usually exempt from emissions, mostly because the only emissions on those cars, besides California, was the PCV valve. Another thing to keep in mind is that you might eek a small amout of HP out of the thing at large cost and expended time that may not be worth it. I have a 1993 with the V6 and I installed a K&N filter, use Royal Purple motor oil, keep all of the electrical and fuel in top shape, which gives it a nice rumble with a stock exhaust. My six cents...
-gt350mk
Old 07-23-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a hooker header with 2.5" straight pipe to the back and a magnaflow 3" muffler. It's pretty damn loud, and sounds really pissed off when driving. Has a nice deep idle though

If I didn't already have the muffler, I probably would have gone with something a little smaller and a little quieter.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:41 AM

I put a new exhaust system on my rig as follows:
* Stainless TG header
* Stock cat (need one in Phoenix)
* 2" pipe
* Turbo style muffler
I am very happy with the low sound level. Cruising you don't know its there, although it has a little grunt when accelerating.

I had a Magnaflow on a previous '86 4Runner and I did not like the sound. It had the droning noise when cruising at highway speeds and had the Civic coffee-can-on-the-back rice sound IMO.

My $0.02
Old 07-23-2012, 05:34 PM

Do not use a glasspack!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by toastyjosh
Do not use a glasspack!
and why not? i've ran cherry bomb glass packs and simular no issues. didn't sound bad < not the wording i wanna use but this aint pirate)
Old 07-25-2012, 11:29 PM

I have the stock exhaust manifold, no cat (the way I bought it), 2" pipe (I believe) to muffler and the 2" tailpipe ordered from Summit. At first I had on the Thrush welded muffler (2 1/2" in/out). It was way too loud and annoying.....now I have a Thrush Turbo on (2 1/4" in/out) and it's the best balance between being too loud and too quiet. I have a new baby boy on the way so I needed to be conservative here...

Originally Posted by angrybob
I put a new exhaust system on my rig as follows:
* Stainless TG header
* Stock cat (need one in Phoenix)
* 2" pipe
* Turbo style muffler
I am very happy with the low sound level. Cruising you don't know its there, although it has a little grunt when accelerating.
Exactly....
I had a Magnaflow on a previous '86 4Runner and I did not like the sound. It had the droning noise when cruising at highway speeds and had the Civic coffee-can-on-the-back rice sound IMO.

That's the way that welded muffler was, exactly again.....

My $0.02

Originally Posted by TrikeKid
Ran 2 1/4 straight through with a slowmaster on my last Toy, was pretty quiet unless you had the pedal on the floor. FWIW though, my current truck with no cat and the back blown out of a stock muffler is the same way, pretty quiet until I get it up past 3 grand.

I've heard 2 1/4 with a magnaflow before, sounds good but you'll know it's there depending on the size of the muffler used. A regular old turbo muffler is about the best balance of noise/sound I've heard on these trucks.
Dead nuts here....

Originally Posted by arlindsay1992
The previous owner of my Runner installed a Pacesetter header, 2.25 pipe, unknown cat, and Flomaster 40. It sounds great, especially between 2,000 and 2,500 RPM, but it's too loud for me. I'm 20 years old BTW. I'd rather be able to hold a conversation with passengers, or listen to my radio at a normal level.
Smart man....

Originally Posted by Hilux4Life
I am running a 2 1/4 setup with a flowmaster 40 series and I love the sound. Nice rumble to it. If I had to do it over I might have done without the cat. I wish it was just a tad bit louder.
Dude you must be deaf....I mean, really????
Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 AM

When one puts headers on the vehicle does it mess with spark plug access? Does the engine bay get real hot? Do you guys coat your headers with say Jet Hot or exhaust wrap? When you all do headers do you make it to dual exhaust? I am thinking on redoing my exhaust as it is towards the end of its life and I was thinking headers, dual pipes and high flow everything, with a somewhat quiet muffler as I am old too (38) and she is my daily driver. Any recommendations? Dos and donts? My fortay is in classic muscle cars and already have a super stock mustang that is so loud you can't hear yourself think.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:29 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
what engine? some on the v6 have issues, but the 4cyl has no issues at all.
it really depends on what engine you have. the 4cyl stays pretty cool by itself, without wrap. i don't know about the v6
Old 07-26-2012, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tried removing my cat. Did not work for me. Think it went way lean because i also have a k&n intake. Withoit the cat she would fall on her face after 3 grand. And thats right when you need it the most. Put the cat back on and she started running right again. Mine is basically stock with a thrush glasspack mounted right behind the cat.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:28 AM

I have the v6. My friend had the straight 4 and I am into small motors and always thought that had great potential plus it looks easy to work on. Does yours have a carb or fuel injection? I think I would want one with a carb since I have worked on many different carb'd vehicles, plus the carb'd engines take advantage or can take advantage of latent heat of evaporation, which occures when a fluid moves through a venturri and gives off heat because it is slowed down, I.e. pressure differential. I'm going to ramble for a minute: during wold war two the u.s. navy did a study between fuel injection (direct, like what the germans used) and carburation and found no benefit in fuel injection, so the u.s used a hybrid so there would not be any float bowls, plus the superchargers were used to emulsify the fuel further in many cases, like in the p-47 thunderbolt, which had the supercharger used for that purpose, plus to increase the intake charge before it was further presurised by twin massive turbo chargers. Anyways the guys who run top fuel or drag race use carbs and any fuel injection I don't think is direct. Mostly fuel injection was introduced since most of the population doesn't know what oil is for let alone tuning their engine. Ok I'm done
Old 07-26-2012, 12:37 PM

i just bought a 2012 taco, supercharged it, puting a 40 series and a 5in hidden stack on it this weekend, or doign a downpipe out the side. cant wait to piss off the mp's at ft sam at 3am more then i already do
Old 07-26-2012, 03:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i went with a downey header and 2.5" exhaust (no cat) on my 22r before i swapped to my 3.4.
the 4cyl. had more power everywhere, bottom mid and top end.
had a nice growl but was quiet on the road. just the right noise level for me anyway.

you can hear my v6 growl in the link in my sig. with the same system and obx headers.
again sounds perfect to me, nice growl, but not loud on the highway.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:20 PM

i want louderrrrrr

Quick Reply: Exhaust Mods....How Loud???