86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Exhaust Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exhaust Leak

Just when I think everything is fixed...

I'm pretty sure I have an exhaust leak somewhere near the engine. Whenever I start up the car or idle at a stop, I get an exhaust smell in the cab. I've checked and re-checked every vacuum hose I know of, they are all good. I had a guy at the muffler shop check the upper exhaust pipe in August but this was prior to the strong smell. When I first got the truck 2 1/2 years ago a gas smell was present whenever I had the clutch in reverse but was minor. That's gone now but replaced with the exhaust smell. I've also noticed the smell is stronger when running the heater (no sweet smell though, so not worried about coolant leak).

Other than the obvious check on the exhaust pipe, are there any other trouble areas I should look at for a possible leak?
Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Exhaust manifold.

:wabbit2:
Old 12-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Exhaust manifold.

:wabbit2:
My first thought as well.

People may debate as to the effectiveness of Seafoam, but if you run it through the top end per the instructions, you will find out where the leak is for sure.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by bob200587
People may debate as to the effectiveness of Seafoam, but if you run it through the top end per the instructions, you will find out where the leak is for sure.
I ran seafoam already a few weeks ago. It did not smoke all that bad and didn't notice any coming from the engine bay. Seeing that it won't smoke much anymore, is there something else I can put in the air intake that will smoke (but not damage anything)?
Old 12-17-2012, 02:22 PM

I have a "popping" noise coming from the muffler (Magnaflow) when I decelerate, I'm guessing that might also be an indicator.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I googled it some more (non-Toyota specific) and found a few good ideas. I'm going to try putting a wet rag in the exhaust tip to force out air through the crack, after a thorough visual scan of the exhaust manifold and piping. Got my flashlight and wife's hand mirror ready to go. Might even try the soapy water trick if I the engine isn't warm yet.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:47 PM

Well... looked over the whole exhaust system for carbon, noise, change in sound, didn't find a thing. Plugged up the exhaust with a rag and had someone remove it and replace it and couldn't find a leak anywhere. Even got steam in the exhaust (cold evening) and still nothing (found a leak near a weld on the tip though).

Any other possible causes for an exhaust smell in the cab when stopped/reverse? Where is the vent that pulls in outside air for the cabin?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gamefreakgc
I ran seafoam already a few weeks ago. It did not smoke all that bad and didn't notice any coming from the engine bay. Seeing that it won't smoke much anymore, is there something else I can put in the air intake that will smoke (but not damage anything)?
That doesn't make sense. I've ran seafoam through probably 10 or so vehicles and white smoke always pours out of the tailpipe (or any leaks).
Old 12-18-2012, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by bob200587
That doesn't make sense. I've ran seafoam through probably 10 or so vehicles and white smoke always pours out of the tailpipe (or any leaks).
I should say I ran it twice. The first time it did smoke but the second time it just put out a little smoke at startup and that was it.

I was looking to see if I did something wrong... but I didn't. Here's a video of the same engine and that's exactly how much smoke came out:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd8oepkrh4U[/YOUTUBE]

The engine idles up when I poured it in both times (my truck LOVES anything combustible) so maybe it all burns off.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It might be leaking out of where the cat flange meets the flange that goes to the actual muffler, mine did at first when I put my Magnaflow on but then i tightened the bolts down which made a tighter seal on the gasket and it was fixed of course.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:13 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I tried seafoam through another line (brake booster) and got a ton of smoke but no leaks anywhere. However, I did find a vacuum leak under the air intake chamber so that may be the issue. At least I know a whole lot more about the exhaust system now!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manifold...put set headers on it....
Old 12-19-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well... looked over the whole exhaust system for...noise, change in sound, didn't find a thing.
I would try a mechanic's stethescope. There's 2 versions, one with a solid rod and one with a metal tube with a plastic cone. Like this one:

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/p...s/?product=327

I've used it before to isolate my exhaust leak.

Where is the vent that pulls in outside air for the cabin?
I believe that is the vented slots in front of the windshield. Right where the windshield wipers are.