Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Are ENGNBLDR Timing Kits still good?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 03:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Hey Terry! long time no speak/type . I made a mistake on the timing cover above, it's cheaper....Aisin TCT-072 - $157

Amazon.com: Aisin TCT-072 Timing Chain Cover Assembly: Automotive Amazon.com: Aisin TCT-072 Timing Chain Cover Assembly: Automotive
Old 04-15-2014, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grego92
I was curious and bored, see my end results for comparison.

What you were quoted:

Chain - 213
Top Gear - 55
Bottom Gear - 86
Tensioner - 122
Passenger Guide - 33
Drivers Guide - (told him I would buy elsewhere to get the steel one)
TC Cover - 358
TC Cover Gaskets - 20
Valve Cover Gasket - 24
Head Gasket - 65
Head Bolts - 10ea x 10 = 100
Water Pump w/gasket - 126
Oil Pump w/ gasket - 280

So for a total of $1482 !!!!!

OEM OSK Timing Kit - $68 (Including Shipping) (TC Gaskets, Passenger/Driver Guide Rails, Tensioner, Chain, Top/Bottom Gears)

http://www.amazon.com/Osk-Single-Chain-Timing-Gear/dp/B004ZKIV8E/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Toyota|76&Model=Pickup|23 0&Year=1993|1993&carId=001&n=15684181&newCar=1&s=a utomotive&vehicleType=automotive

EDIT: OEM Aisin Timing Cover - $157 Free Shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Aisin-TCT-072-...=Aisin+TCT-072

OEM Aisin Oil Pump w/gasket - $52 Free Shipping

Amazon.com: Aisin OPT-054 Engine Oil Pump: Automotive

OEM Aisin Water Pump w/gasket - $40 Free Shipping

Amazon.com: Aisin WPT-007 Engine Water Pump: Automotive

Toyota Valve Cover Gasket - $13.50 Plus Shipping

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?model=TRUCK,PICKUP&year=1993&catal ogCode=671450&VAID=2019,2029&selectConditions=%281 0=USA;1=22RE;3=T1;5=MTM;7=RCB;8=W%29&subModel=JPP-4%20WHEEL%20DRIVE&originCountry=%2810=USA%29§ionID =&componentsID=11-04

Toyota Head Gasket - $35 Plus Shipping

http://www.toyotapartszone.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?model=TRUCK,PICKUP&year=1993&catal ogCode=671450&VAID=2019,2029&selectConditions=%281 0=USA;1=22RE;3=T1;5=MTM;7=RCB;8=W%29&subModel=JPP-4%20WHEEL%20DRIVE&originCountry=%2810=USA%29§ionID =&componentsID=11-04

Head Bolts (Qty. 10) - $60 Plus Shipping

vhttp://www.toyotapartszone.com/Page_Product/PartDetail.aspx?model=TRUCK,PICKUP&year=1993&catal ogCode=671450&VAID=2019,2029&selectConditions=%281 0=USA;1=22RE;3=T1;5=MTM;7=RCB;8=W%29&subModel=JPP-4%20WHEEL%20DRIVE&originCountry=%2810=USA%29§ionID =&componentsID=11-04

Subtotal Cost: $425.50
Plus Toyotapartszone Estimate Shipping: $20
If you have no Tax for Amazon or Toyotapartszone (Cali): $0

TOTAL Estimated Cost using OEM/Toyota Parts: $445.50. $1,036.50 less than your dealer provided estimate. (What I would have paid (but less $30 because I would have used Altrom head bolts) because I'm an OEM/Toyota parts whore )

YOUR Estimated Cost $221.90 + $4 water pump studs + $40 Toyota head gasket: $266. $179.50 less than ALL OEM/Toyota parts.

Then you need to factor in the other stuff you listed to complete the job (ie. coolant, fipg, oil, etc....)

Hello Grego92!

Looks like you put a lot of effort into your list too! Everyone here might just be as OCD as I am? I know figuring out the OEM Toyota Part #'s from the diagrams and verifying them against websites selling the parts was a bit of a task, glad to see you came up with better prices than the Toyota Parts Department in Springfield. So thank you Grego92, others should really be able to use this info in the future when they need to!

I knew their prices were way out there. I do wish you would have compiled this list before I ordered the parts I did?

Speaking of those parts from ENGNBLDR arrived today.

I am not sure this is the same for everyone but all my parts are made by DNJ (Domestic N Japanese) www.enginecomponents.com branded in the shrink wrap plastic itself, then has a sticker saying" EPN (Engine Parts Network) (503) 257-7947 www.engnbldr.com engnbldr@engnbldr.com " on it.

The parts look good, the top end gasket kit has the valve seals(thought I forgot about them last night and was looking online to buy them, so that is nice!), valve cover(complete w/ grommets and moons), Cylinder Head Gasket(I have the OEM one on the way still), in it as well as the intake/exhaust gaskets and more. No fuel injector seals.

One issue is the exhaust gasket is bent, I emailed Tod and informed him that it was bent, he emailed me back and said it happens sometimes it should be fine just straiten them and install them?

P.S.
I feel all jittery inside? Is it wrong to be this excited over fixing my Yoter?

Old 04-16-2014, 12:21 AM

I am posting some Pictures in my photo album on my profile page of the parts I received today.

Last edited by Missouri_Dad; 04-16-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Those are Engine Builders parts. The bent exhaust gasket will be okay. It is always exciting to get parts in. Santa Clause in the brown suit makes my day each and every time. He needs to stop by more often.lol
Old 04-16-2014, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Those are Engine Builders parts. The bent exhaust gasket will be okay. It is always exciting to get parts in. Santa Clause in the brown suit makes my day each and every time. He needs to stop by more often.lol
I just wish we didn't have to pay him to stop by!

I posted pics in an album on my profile page because I couldn't get them to load here correctly. Do you know if ENGNBLDR the manufacturer of DNJ Parts or a reseller?

The parts seem like good quality parts, I have worked in parts before and at least know how to tell the difference in quality vs low end castings. We will really be able to tell when it comes to fit but I have faith. He (Tod from ENGNBLDR) has gotten many Yoters back and running over the years from what I have read.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am not sure if he is the manufacturer or not. I have used him twice and they fit great. He has been around for awhile. Very helpful guy. I seen the picture of your truck. Nice looking truck. In my opinion, they made several improvements in that generation compared to the previous generation of trucks. The two wheel drives do much better on fuel mileage and ride nicer as well. Those are some great trucks. Have plenty of power as well. I think you will be impressed with it once you get it running.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:49 AM

I looked at your photos, you got a top-end dnj gasket kit, so I edited my quotes again to match what you got. The top end toyota gasket kit is $114.

So now you were $245 cheaper than going all OEM/Toyota.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:27 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would pay that $245 premium any day of the week. It will pay for itself many times over...
Old 04-16-2014, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Grego92
I looked at your photos, you got a top-end dnj gasket kit, so I edited my quotes again to match what you got. The top end toyota gasket kit is $114.

So now you were $245 cheaper than going all OEM/Toyota.
Should I scratch using the DNJ parts all together and just order all OEM parts? Are AISIAN and OEM one and the same? If I return the parts/if I can/ to ENGNBLDR I will lose out on a 20% restocking fee.

Also I received the OEM Cylinder Head Gasket today, should it have any markings or stamps on it to prove it is an OEM Cylinder Head Gasket?

Second guessing what I have done.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Missouri_Dad
Should I scratch using the DNJ parts all together and just order all OEM parts?
Using OEM or aftermarket parts is a deadly question to ask on here! I've been on here a little while and have learned to avoid answering that question for the sake of keeping the peace. It's like that on all the different boards I'm on for different hobbies and things, always certain things that are best avoided. I am personally an OEM/Toyota parts user, and that's all I'll say I've only used aftermarket parts one time on a 2vz-fe, so I don't even have any experience to really say anything anyhow.

Are AISIAN and OEM one and the same?
It's Ai-sin (Eye-Sin), Aisin, also known as Advics (for brake parts) is one of the Original Equipment Manufacturers that toyota uses.

Also I received the OEM Cylinder Head Gasket today, should it have any markings or stamps on it to prove it is an OEM Cylinder Head Gasket?
I didn't notice any on mine, on 3 separate occasions for different toyota engines and from different dealerships they only had the part no. on the wrapper/box.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

When I first started on Toyotas I thought Toyota was the only place to get orginal parts and didnt realize there was other places. Things were tight so I used the best parts I could at the time and were not Toyota parts. The truck I was in St. Louis is one of them that has non Toyota parts in it and it is 3 years old and 50,000 miles which hasnt proven itself for multiple years but as of now has been great. With my maintainance and how I drive, I feel confident I can go the distance on it though.

I do sometimes wonder with all of the head gasket issues with the 22r motors if OEM is the best ones out there. Just my opinion. I have used other brands and Engbldr with no issues. In general I will say the OEM is the best but I do question the head gasket. The 3.0 head gasket didnt have problems until they went away from asbestos material and that is when they started having issues. That is a different subject but food for thought. Once or twice a week or so, you will see a 22r head gasket pop up on the main page. I am betting most are the factory head gasket.

Having 20 plus years and two different metals that expand and contract at different rates (cast block and aluminum head) does not help matters either.

Aisin is just a factory parts provider just like Denso, Koyo, Niachi, are all parts providers as well.

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-18-2014 at 03:27 AM.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I've said it before, the engnbldr stuff has worked great for me in the past and still does now.

As far as OEM goes, it's hit or miss. I just had a big miss on an OEM rear main seal for my runner. Check my thread if interested. I have purchased OEM head gaskets and they look just like the felpro ones. I used to think that they were superior to the aftermarket ones until the last few felpro ones that we used.

Do I think the OEM is bad, no. Do I think that they are superior to all aftermarket , certainly not. I think both have good and bad. It's all about what you can afford and feel comfortable using.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:08 AM

Here is another way to look at, ive said already, i have used engnbldrs kit, its good. I bought it all in person from tod, he isnt a jerkoff in an office, he is a machinist, with a small store room at a machine shop. He and his dad have seen maaany a rebuild kit and cherry picked what is in their kits for quality. I am also a Lead in the die casting department of an aerospace/defense manufacturer, i too can inspect a casting, and i do...all day...everyday. The parts manufacturers they choose have universally defined quality ratings, iso9001 shouldnt mean much to most, but when i heard it come out of tod, i knew that he had done his homework and wasnt just selling off a junk kit at a cut rate, the stuff is good. I could go on in more depth about the manufacturers of the parts using dies that toyota sold them and simply milled the toyota name off for legality, or tell you about tod actually going to see the process in person, but i think you have your answer, buy engnbldr, its a good product at a good price.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:55 PM

I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend!

I was able to post the pictures of the OEM cylinder head gasket 11115-35060 today. The pictures are in an album on my profile page.

I originally just wanted to know if ENGNBLDR parts were as good as they used to be, I never meant for it to become some sort of competition between OEM vs ENGNBLDR. That does say something in and of itself though doesn't it? If we are comparing them and only them to OEM one could say if not OEM then ENGNBLDR. I have previously mentioned I worked in parts for many years and can tell cheap parts from quality parts. I have worked for a very well known performance parts company as well as a couple very well respected places selling parts over the years. And to "Summit" up I will say I am very happy with the parts I have received. Many years ago I helped repair a few Toyotas using ENGNBLDR parts and just wanted to know if they were as good as they used to be, no more, no less.

I appreciate all the advice that each of you has offerd me and others who will read this in the future. I am going to use all of it I can. My truck matters to me and I care about it a great deal. I want it up and running again so please don't feel like your advice fell upon deaf ears, I had already planned to order ENGNBLDR parts to begin with if someone just confirmed they were still offering the same quality parts they used to.

Again thank you all! Now let the repairs begin!

Last edited by Missouri_Dad; 04-21-2014 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have done several top end rebuilds and not all of them were with the top name brand parts. So far they have all held up for me. I seen some that have built motors and later and have problems later with the best parts. In my opinion, as long as they are good parts it is cleanliness and I torque, torque, and re torque. I can have one tore down in a couple of hours but when reassembling, it is a slow process. I haven't actually kept track of hours, but I would guess 8 or more. Mostly just cleaning every nut, bolt, and hole, and wiping down most parts with a degreaser or something similar. One reason I think you are better off doing it yourself as a mechanic just wants to get it done as soon as possible. I think it is the little details that will pay off in the long run.

In the Haynes and FSM, they say the head bolts are 62 or 64 foot pounds. Later on Toyota revised it to a higher foot pound. I think it is like 68 or something. I can find that out later on.

Looking forward to your build.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:09 AM

crazy thread!

I think the head bolt torque went from 58 ft. lbs. to 64 ft. lbs....or something near that. I remember someone posted a service bulletin on that update and now I can't find it

Here's a link to the timing cover torques from LC Engineering http://www.lcengineering.com/LCInstr...ware%20Kit.pdf
Old 04-23-2014, 10:55 AM

Well this thread seeming to wander a bit. How bout get it back on track.

I plan on doing a rebuild this winter. A full rebuild. Ill be trying to save money where I can and since its not a dd I rack tons of miles on im not to worried about it.

To the original poster. You mind posting a final list of where you ended getting everything from. Looking forward to see if your happy with results.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:15 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
Yea his parts are still good/great. (Probably always will be also). I have and will use him again. Best customer service you can hope for. Almost always has time to talk and answer questions for you. You will be very happy working with engnbldr.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thefishguy77
Yea his parts are still good/great. (Probably always will be also). I have and will use him again. Best customer service you can hope for. Almost always has time to talk and answer questions for you. You will be very happy working with engnbldr.
X2
Ted is always there to help out and offer info. Even trouble shooting stuff. He is also very fast to return emails as well.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:16 PM

I'm using his parts (4 part timing kit) right now in a front end rebuild and so far I am impressed with the parts. I am using OEM yota gaskets, but the parts themselves seem awesome. He is also super responsive and that kind of support is very helpful along the way.

Quick Reply: Are ENGNBLDR Timing Kits still good?