Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Is engnbldr.com worth it?

Old 09-14-2011, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is engnbldr.com worth it?

Before anyone who is a fan of engnbldr.com gets offended by the thread title you should know I am only looking for your opinion on whether or not their promise of quality parts is true.

For some time now I have come to this sight to gain insights on trouble shooting issues for my rig, I have never closed the browser without a boost of confidence. Recently my 22re developed a head gasket leak and upon disassemble I found pitting between the water jacket and the combustion chamber of the cylinder head. So now I am in the market for a new head and possibly new cam as well. There are so many places to go for new and refurbished parts too the point where I feel somewhat overwhelmed. I have noticed (and I may be wrong) that most everyone on YotaTech is almost religious about recommending engnbldr.com for powertrain needs. An example of this is that most posts that talk about the vendor use the names of the owners and technicians instead of the domain name.

I have read and heard nothing but great reviews on the quality of engnbldr.com which is great but I am more times than not a remorseful buyer when it comes to purchasing automotive parts online. Occasionally these sights get a fan base and the "hype-factor" doesn't allow for much criticism to be taken seriously. So here is the opportunity to voice your opinion and experience with this vendor be it good or bad.

I should add at this point that I have VERY LIMITED funds and this is my only opportunity to dump the $300-$500 its going to cost for the head + gasket for the next 6 months. And at this point I am leaning towards purchasing from engnbldr.com but I am completely open to any and all opinion/advise on where I make my purchase. Be it Carquest, NAPA, eBay, Craigslist or junkyards please tell me where you have had success and troubles.

Thanks much for your time.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 PM

bumping.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Search the name and you will see.... stop asking and just order or talk to EB
Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 PM

The only thing I have seen is a small problem with the oil pump and/or timing cover casting. Not sure if it got resolved or what happened with it.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by yotarover
Search the name and you will see.... stop asking and just order or talk to EB

Okay so I am assuming you have used their products?
Old 09-14-2011, 07:01 PM

As I am waiting Im pulling up eBay adds for stock 22re cylinder heads just for a price comparison. These are so much cheaper I'm assuming I would be getting what I paid for lol.

Here are a few I found so far:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2...item519a395dd9

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REBUI...item519a3e6965

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-95...item43a9904d7c

Last one looks like an add from a cartoon show or something lol.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
you might even find an ad for engnbldr on there...i just ordered a timing set (chain, guides, cover, and water pump..) for 20? or 30 bucks cheaper just by ordering the kit he has off ebay...but he does want alot of dough for his heads tho...why not rebuild yours? or buy a used one to rebuild if yours is that bad off...
Old 09-14-2011, 07:26 PM

I been having much the same experience as you, both with getting so much confidence from yotatech that I tore down my 22RE
to find the same corrosion of the head. (Apparently water corrodes aluminum, and the glycol does not, so run only coolant, no water....new thread maybe?)

I had my head welded and shaved, 110 candaian dollars. A lot cheaper than new...

Have positive experience with Engnbldr.com, and getting parts for the block from there.

0.2 ca cents
Old 09-14-2011, 07:45 PM

i'd go with eb over the store bought bs parts anyday....... everything going on my new engine is coming from him, except for the crank,rods,head (found guy in machine shop who has one rebuilt and ready to go for 100) helps me gets the engine built faster then later i'll buy the head i want from EB.

I dont use the head gasket that comes in the kit. never used it so i can't say they fail. i just always used felpro or toyota hg.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:58 PM

here's a good deal on a supposed reman head if it will work on your engine. I do not know this person nor have I seen this head. just found it on my local craigslist
http://nashville.craigslist.org/pts/2542575883.html
Old 09-14-2011, 08:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Seams like his heads, etc are great, but I am not a big fan of the gasket kit I bought for my HG replacement (3VZE). I ended up getting Toyota HG's and had to get a few other random gaskets like the timing cover gaskets. It would of been cheaper just to buy the Toyota valve grind gasket kit first.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Running the street rv head from eb with the 261 crawler cam on my 87 runner, full rebuild. I can not say enough positive things about Ted and the products he sale's...I feel that my purchase was worth every cent and its really nice to have a 22re thats is quieter than most new cars...My runner is scary quiet with this head. I had emailed him as to why he had me set the lash at .007 and .009 and he was quick to email back a detailed response. Really good qaulity head an cam in my opinion.

If you're concerned that you will only be able to pay for a head once in the next 6 months, I would trust his products to get you through for many years beyond that 6 months.. again just my opinion
Old 09-14-2011, 09:11 PM

I'm running quite a few of his parts (timing set, various gaskets and seals, and 261 cam) and have been for the last 60k miles. I'm happy with everything, it's all held up well.

I'd certainly use his stuff again, and am considering one of his RV heads in the near future. His rep is second to none.
Old 09-14-2011, 09:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

I live on the east Coast.

I have never had a problem with any of Engine Builders Parts

I am thinking about buying a new head myself just in case I don`t think the price for a head with over size valves and cam is expensive.

If I lived out closer I would get my machine work done there.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same here...great parts and shipping!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last week I was wondering the same thing then I Searched and found this thread. Doesn't look to good to me.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f39/...ilders-128195/
Old 09-15-2011, 12:47 AM

Check this thread out.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...y-turn-115431/

I'm sure it'll help you out as it is helping me. I too am currently undergoing a blown HG and all the info from the thread has helped me tremendously. It also has convinced me to order parts from engnbldr.com

I did find a website called partsgeek.com and it has amazing deals on their parts(just research the brand before purchasing), such as a Jet Performance chip for $100usd less

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...rogrammer.html

Last edited by SnowDrive215; 09-15-2011 at 12:57 AM.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:05 AM

http://www.sunwestautomotiveengines.com/
this is who I've used.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by yoterr
you might even find an ad for engnbldr on there...i just ordered a timing set (chain, guides, cover, and water pump..) for 20? or 30 bucks cheaper just by ordering the kit he has off ebay...but he does want alot of dough for his heads tho...why not rebuild yours? or buy a used one to rebuild if yours is that bad off...
Yeah its pretty bad I wouldn't mind having it filled in and shaved but I am worried that this could happen on another cylinder after a couple years. Here is a pic or two of the damage.
Name:  0426010058.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  0426010056.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  95.5 KB
Old 09-15-2011, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by 4Reigner
I been having much the same experience as you, both with getting so much confidence from yotatech that I tore down my 22RE
to find the same corrosion of the head. (Apparently water corrodes aluminum, and the glycol does not, so run only coolant, no water....new thread maybe?)

I had my head welded and shaved, 110 candaian dollars. A lot cheaper than new...

Have positive experience with Engnbldr.com, and getting parts for the block from there.

0.2 ca cents
I thought about that as a solution as well, what stopped me was the fear of future pitting on the other cylinders. I currently think the pitting was a result of a bad coolant mixture and the lack of a ground from the head to the firewall. If I am correct that would mean the entire structure of the head is compromised.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is engnbldr.com worth it?