Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Won't Rev above 2krpm and Smokes!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Won't Rev above 2krpm and Smokes!

Hey YotaTech,

I've always appreciated the help I've received on this site and decided that it would be more than worth it to try to get more. Let's start with the back story:

My 86 Turbo Runner has 175k miles on it. I've done 99% of the work on it myself since I've owned it (it's been 4 years). Recently, the auto transmission started skipping 2nd and 3rd gears. It went from 1st straight to O/D. However, there were no issues with the motor. It did overheat a bit during the summer due to the fact that I couldn't find a fan shroud that would fit, but it was running very well for a 30-year-old truck.

About 6 weeks ago, I was driving the truck to work and it went from running well to running like complete s**t in a matter of seconds. I limped it home going about 10mph. White smoke was pouring out of the pipe and it wouldn't rev above 2,000 rpm without a pinging noise coming from the engine bay. I drove home at 1,100rpm. It honestly sounded like a misfire.

I took all of the plugs out when I got home and found quite a bit of oil on each of them, meaning that a fair amount of oil had found its way into the combustion chambers. I checked the radiator level and it was a little low but there didn't seem to be any oil in it. I checked the oil and found it to be a healthy color and consistency.

My questions are simple: What could this be and where should I start? I've done research on a blown head gasket and worn piston rings but the symptoms don't exactly match. What could cause oil to get into every single cylinder at once? I figure that doing a compression test will help out, but I wanted to see if the answer is obvious for the other, more experienced techs on here.

Thank you all for your help.

Last edited by TURBOrunnerNM; 01-05-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-07-2016, 07:47 PM

Bump for a reply.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:58 AM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Sounds like a typical blown head gasket. The question is, how does it smell? As in the "white smoke" coming from the exhaust. Like coolant? If so, case closed.

Not sure why it even matters to know at this point. Best way to find out is to disassemble it. Which is bound to happen anyway. If you want it to run right again.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by TURBOrunnerNM
Bump for a reply.
9n my truck which is a 91 3.0 one time I had it to where it wouldn't go over a certain rpm and it was smoking too was because I had gotten water on the computer and I guess it messed up the connection or something. But I unplugged all the plugs on it and let it sit for a couple days to dry it out then it worked perfect. This probably isn't what's wrong with yours being a different motor and all but I figured I'd share it just in case
Old 01-08-2016, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
Sounds like a typical blown head gasket. The question is, how does it smell? As in the "white smoke" coming from the exhaust. Like coolant? If so, case closed. Not sure why it even matters to know at this point. Best way to find out is to disassemble it. Which is bound to happen anyway. If you want it to run right again.
Very true. I'll be tearing it down soon...maybe time for some upgrades. I really appreciate the reply and insight. Have a great weekend!
Old 01-08-2016, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by josh21
9n my truck which is a 91 3.0 one time I had it to where it wouldn't go over a certain rpm and it was smoking too was because I had gotten water on the computer and I guess it messed up the connection or something. But I unplugged all the plugs on it and let it sit for a couple days to dry it out then it worked perfect. This probably isn't what's wrong with yours being a different motor and all but I figured I'd share it just in case
Thanks, Josh! I'll give that a shot too. I'd be willing to try anything at this point. Take care!
Old 01-09-2016, 06:37 AM

Then it occured to me. Turbo oil seal leakage. Which is obvious...now. Sorta overlooked that.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-09-2016 at 06:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:43 PM

Then it occured to me. Turbo oil seal leakage. Which is obvious...now. Sorta overlooked that.
Hmm...I haven't thought about that. Do you think I should start with removing the turbo manifold?
Old 01-10-2016, 09:35 AM

Well...were delving into the short gap in my 86-95 Toyota knowledge which is the 22R-TE. But the 88 FSM shows a No. 1 air tube/air cleaner hose(air outlet to the throttle body, not the inlet from the air cleaner box). Which is where I'd start(if that's what you mean by turbo manifold, then yes, there). That should be how/where all the oil is getting into the intake. If I'm guessing correctly that it's turbo related. It's something I've only heard of happening. But never seen(other than googled pics), or have any experience with. Nor would I have a clue how to fix. Since the 88 FSM doesn't cover it. It just says replace as necessary(as in the entire turbocharger unit).

From the 88 FSM:
EXCESSIVE OIL CONSUMPTION OR WHITE EXHAUST
(possible cause) FAULTY TURBOCHARGER SEAL
(check procedure and correction method)

Check for oil leakage in exhaust system.
  • Remove the turbine elbow from the turbocharger and check for excessive carbon deposits on the turbine wheel. Excessive carbon deposits would indicate a faulty turbocharger.
Check for oil leakage in intake air system.
  • Check for axial play in impeller wheel, and replace the turbocharger if necessary.
Caution: Do not mistakenly diagnose ordinary oil mist from the PCV in the blow by gas as an oil leak from the turbocharger.
Good luck!

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-10-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 10:39 AM

Well...were delving into the short gap in my 86-95 Toyota knowledge which is the 22R-TE. But the 88 FSM shows a No. 1 air tube/air cleaner hose(air outlet to the throttle body, not the inlet from the air cleaner box). Which is where I'd start(if that's what you mean by turbo manifold, then yes, there). That should be how/where all the oil is getting into the intake. If I'm guessing correctly that it's turbo related. It's something I've only heard of happening. But never seen(other than googled pics), or have any experience with. Nor would I have a clue how to fix. Since the 88 FSM doesn't cover it. It just says replace as necessary(as in the entire turbocharger unit). From the 88 FSM: Good luck!
Good info. I'm going to look through my manual as well and see if it has a diagram. I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again!
Old 01-10-2016, 01:37 PM

Well...were delving into the short gap in my 86-95 Toyota knowledge which is the 22R-TE. But the 88 FSM shows a No. 1 air tube/air cleaner hose(air outlet to the throttle body, not the inlet from the air cleaner box). Which is where I'd start(if that's what you mean by turbo manifold, then yes, there). That should be how/where all the oil is getting into the intake. If I'm guessing correctly that it's turbo related. It's something I've only heard of happening. But never seen(other than googled pics), or have any experience with. Nor would I have a clue how to fix. Since the 88 FSM doesn't cover it. It just says replace as necessary(as in the entire turbocharger unit).

From the 88 FSM:

Good luck!
Hey MudHippy. So, I did a compression test today before starting tear-down (BTW, I couldn't get the spark plug out of the #4 cylinder, so that's another issue) and found that I have ZERO compression in #3. I'm assuming that's either a stuck/bent valve or a head gasket, right? I mean, it could be a piston ring but what makes me think that it isn't is the fact that the compression in the #2 cylinder is only 90. #1 had 120 cold, which I think is pretty good. Do you think it could be that the head gasket failed between the two and then between the #3 and the oil? Hope you're having a good weekend.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:11 AM

I hard to say. I might be totally wrong on every guess so far. It kinda seems like there may be a few things going on. Possibly any or all of the above? I dunno. I'm definitely interested in finding out. But that ball's in your court.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:23 AM

I hard to say. I might be totally wrong on every guess so far. It kinda seems like there may be a few things going on. Possibly any or all of the above? I dunno. I'm definitely interested in finding out. But that ball's in your court.
Yeah...there's a shop right around the corner. I might see if they'd be willing to come to a leak down test to see exactly where the issue is coming from. I'll keep you updated! Unfortunately, my motivation to freeze my a$$ off outside isn't exactly on par with my willingness to get my truck running again. This might be an early Spring deal...