86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Temp Setting

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 05:25 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Question Engine Temp Setting

I got my Mercury Village e-fan installed and working properly a couple of weeks ago. Also installed an aluminum Spectra radiator. I was trying to figure out the best way to set my fan controller so that the engine operates at the correct temperature. I installed a thermostat housing with the boss for another temp sensor and installed a mechanical Equus gauge into it. So I now have an in-cab readout of the water temperature that is flowing into the radiator.

Right now, driving around the city, the temperature gets to about 190F. Seems like it should be running a little hotter -- the fan may be cooling too aggressively. I just replaced the t-stat with the factory Toyota unit BTW.

Any thoughts or opinions on this? Thanks!
Old 09-09-2010, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put an electric in mine (not sure what it was from). You don't need the fan if you are driving around. I have a temp switch out of a VW mounted in the hose running to the IACV under the TB. I am not sure what the setting of the temp switch is but when my temp starts to go up above half on the stock guage my fan comes on until it gets back to the middle.

This only happends if I am sitting in a drive-through for a long time or crawing in 1st into my camp. Other then that the temp sits at the thermostat value, around 190F.
This is on my 22re so not sure the deal with 3slow if that's what you got.
Old 09-09-2010, 03:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Flash319
I put an electric in mine (not sure what it was from). You don't need the fan if you are driving around. I have a temp switch out of a VW mounted in the hose running to the IACV under the TB. I am not sure what the setting of the temp switch is but when my temp starts to go up above half on the stock guage my fan comes on until it gets back to the middle.

This only happends if I am sitting in a drive-through for a long time or crawing in 1st into my camp. Other then that the temp sits at the thermostat value, around 190F.
This is on my 22re so not sure the deal with 3slow if that's what you got.
Flash

I would be interested in knowing a little more about the VW temp sensor you used. What year VW did it come off of and maybe a picture of how its hooked up in your truck.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:23 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Cool, thanks for the input. Sounds like 190F is a good setting then.

22re BTW
Old 09-10-2010, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay here is what I got.

Here is the sensor spliced into the IAC valve.

Here is the relay.

Here is the fan. It is out of some chrysler product but not sure...

Here is the wire I tapped off to run power through the temp switch to the relay. The plug is where the ABS relay used to be on the passenger fender. Used the Black with red stripe. When the fan turns on the ABS light comes on.

Also added a switch to turn on manually. This was an automatic cab so it did not have the clutch cancel switch. I used a rear defrost switch out of a 4runner.

Schematic of how to hook it up. Place fuses where you feel like. I like to live on the edge........