86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Problems/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Problems/Questions

Okay, so. Ive got a knock, and my oil cap is milky underneath. Long story short my engine isnt going to last. Also, once its warmed up it gets a funny tick/noise. It honestly sounds like a diesel, thats the absolute best way to describe it. Ive pulled the valve cover, cant figure it out. Anyone else has this problem? Any help on that matter would be great. Secondly, ive got a chance to buy a 22ret. I figure my engine will last a little longer which will give me a chance to rebuild/go over the 22ret and replace some gaskets and seals. The question I have is about my fuel injection system. Can I bolt on my efi manifold, and headers and run it like an 22re except without the turbo (it doesnt come with an ECU which is the problem). I know the turbo tranny is a little stronger and correct me if I am wrong but isnt the head a little different? Thanks for the help gentlemen and possibly ladies!

Eric
Old 02-15-2011, 12:15 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
the turbo motor is a lower compression than a standard 22re so swapping it over to 22re injection although it might run, your not gonna like the outcome.

A few recent threads on the milky oil cap, might wanna search for them.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Milky oil cap means you have coolant in the oil which WILL ruin other engine parts quickly if you continue to run it as is.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:27 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I think the consensus in those other threads that depending on climate a milky oil cap can be normal as it's normal in humid climates or cooler climates that moisture can build up i the intake and under rocker cover because they are in fact still open to the air and thus the moisture build up.

I have also seen moisture build up on the oil cap and dipstick due to fuel in the oil as well.

As long as you drain your oil and don't have milky oil or coolant on the bottom of your oil pan your fine.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the tick u are talking about sounds like a rod or pin knock, motor is not going to last too much longer, i would see what u can find as for a 22re or rebuild yours, the other motor wont work unless u do put the turbo on and run it that way, as for the milkiness under cap i second xxxtreme22r..... i get some milkiness from time to time but that's cause of all the rain and crap we get here.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:24 PM

i took some time and read some other threads about the milkyness and I think it is because it has been super cold here. I drive about 5-8 minutes to school and havent been letting her warm up like i used too. And a lot of melting has been going recently so there is lots of moisture in the air.
As far as the tick:I have one that is always there, it isnt necessarily loud but it is noticeable. Then on and off the "diesel" noise is there. Almost always when its warmed up and it is at idle is when it happens. My oil is clean and I ran some seafoam through the crank case before my last oil change. I have an engine (blown headgasket, and who knows what else) in my garage and plan to rebuild it hopefully before my current one blows. I was thinking about getting one of these rebuild kits " http://www.engnbldr.com/Toyota-Hotlicks.htm " and going to town on it. Any ideas/opinions?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:55 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Engnbldr is pretty much the gold standard. Most of the guys on this board buy Ted's cams and think pretty highly of his advice.

The back-up motor you are sitting on that has
(blown headgasket, and who knows what else)
, how do you know it's blown? Was it your motor when this happened? Have you done a compression or leak down test? If it was your motor, did it overheat? What caused it to be pulled?

What I'm getting at is the 22re is a pretty robust and sturdy powerplant. You can lose an HG, pull the head, clean everything up, and with a new headgasket put the motor together and be good for another 100k. If the timing cover was scrapped you really should do a teardown and replace all the bearings (that's my opinion). If it overheated you are probably looking at a new head because they like to crack between the valves.

Last edited by fierohink; 02-15-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:16 PM

I bought my truck non-running. The PO said it has a blown head gasket and didnt run for more than a few seconds. I bought it, towed it home, bought my current engine from a neighbor for $200, swapped it in, ended up buying a new ecu, fuel pump, starter, and a few other things (PO SAS'ed it, and wheeled it pretty hard), and it is currently my dd.

I havent done a compression test, or looked over the engine I yanked out of it because I have been too busy sorting out all sorts of other little things with the truck. I have a two week break (Im in college for engineering, its spring break) coming up where I was planning to check the engine out, maybe buy the engnbldr kit and get that into tip top shape.

My main worry is that I have no idea if he drove it after the HG went, if it had any ticks or noises, the whole engine is like a giant question mark to me. All I know is that my current one probably wont last much longer. So id I can get the bottem end of the one i pulled (the one in my garage) rebuilt, then throw a cam in the head I am running now, I should have a decent motor for a while.

I just want some others peoples opinion on the subject because I often forget about things when thinking about them too hard.