86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question engine problems

i picked up this little 92 toyota pick up a while ago and it ran like dog crap. it supposedly had a blown head gasket any ways i didnt do much diagnosis on it i just pulled it apart replaced the gasket which didnt look blown and put a different head on that had been cleaned up and surfaced/pressure tested.
also #4 cylinder was perfect lookin like the other 4 cylinders but it didnt look horrible just a few marks here and there. but the head on that cylinder was crappy lookin it the valves werent seating because there was so much crap buillt up on them and the spark plug didnt have a gap just a bunch of oily carbon on the end the injector for that cylinder also had a bunch of crap built up on it. Anyway i get it all put back together and fire it up and it still runs like garbage. heres what its doin it runs but it sound like the timing is off it has no power at all it barely idles extremely rough i can barely drive around in first gear with out it dying from lack of power. i have checkethe timing chain and its correct ive also fiddled with my distibutor timing but thats fine to0. anyways the only things i can think of is something might be wrong with the fuel injection possibly might need to clean the injectors and get a fuel filter, i guess it could possibly a vaccuum leak somewhere but every thing looks fine. oh yeah its a 22re . Any suggestions about this problem would be appreciated im starting to get pretty annoyed with this truck. Another thing first three cylinders had about 180 and #4 had like 150 i dumped a a little oil in it and it bumped up to 210 im not sure if this qualifies as bad rings or not but even if it does it should still run alot better than it does
Old 01-12-2008, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel filter change and injector cleaning should be around $100, and wouldn't hurt it. Definitely sounds like something's not right with #4. No coolant/oil cross contamination? Just wondering if the HG was sitting right. No leaks?

The way that you described it running sounds like mine when my MAF was broken. That wouldn't explain #4 though.