86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine dead after tune-up!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Engine dead after tune-up!?

This happened to a 1991 4runner V6 4x4. I installed some spark plugs and wires today. In the process, I had to remove the entire intake up to the throttle body to gain access to the spark plugs. Unfortunately, the tubing was baked (hard and not very flexible). I successfully disconnected part of the intake, but the hose running from the silencer the the throttle body tore in the process of removal. I decided to proceed with the work; I completed a while later. I tried firing up the car without the intake and plugging all the vacuum hoses up, but the engine would start up for a second or two, and just die. I went back to the auto shop to confirm these were the right plugs, and even tested each plug wire with the old wires. Could the intake not being connected be what is causing the engine to die?

Old 03-22-2009, 07:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if the throttle body is not securely, and without leaks, connected to the air flow meter (on top of the filter) the engine will not run for more than a few seconds. The air flow meter keeps the fuel pump running once the engine starts. If it's not hooked up, the engine will die.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:29 PM

I was thinking that it had to have the connection of those two (the intake filter housing, due to the vaf, and the throttle body) to run, but wasn't sure.

Last edited by Texas91Runner; 03-22-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:35 PM

not sure what that meant... if you were thinking it had to have an airtight seal, why didn't you check?... 'cause it should.

So, back to the start:
you ask "Could the intake not being connected be what is causing the engine to die?"
I answer "Yes, that could be the problem, and based on what you wrote, seems to be THE problem."
Old 03-22-2009, 09:05 PM

I wasn't really concentrating when I posted that last one. I edited it though.

Yeah, that makes more sense now. I have to wait until Tuesday for the hose to get in, and I'll give it a try. That small second portion cost $50!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:37 PM

If the air going into the engine doesn't pass through the AFM (on top of the filter) the AFM will not open enough to keep the fuel pump running.
May not make sense but it's true. The AFM isn't only there to measure how much air goes into the engine for air/fuel mixture issues. It's also used by the system to keep the fuel pump running once the engine starts.
It does 3 things: measures how much air goes into the engine, measures the temperature of that air, and if the airflow is above a certain level, grounds the relay (a.k.a. Circuit Opening Relay) that turns the fuel pump on.
So no air through the AFM means the COR (Circuit Opening Relay) turns off when you let go of the key after starting the engine and the fuel pump stops working and the engine dies within a few seconds afterwards.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:51 PM

isr mod time?
Old 03-22-2009, 10:34 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Duck tape will work in a pinch......depending on how bad it ripped. Use narrow strips as opposed to the full width. That way it wraps around better/more securely without kinking up. I've done this successfully. Lasted a good while, too.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gary96360
isr mod time?
X2,

that is the reason I did mine. My stock intake was old, cracked and brittle. It was letting air in past the AFM, so I made a new intake. Search ISR mod, cost me $25, and it looks so much nicer then stock. Frees up room too!
Old 03-23-2009, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
X2,

that is the reason I did mine. My stock intake was old, cracked and brittle. It was letting air in past the AFM, so I made a new intake. Search ISR mod, cost me $25, and it looks so much nicer then stock. Frees up room too!
Wow, that cheap? I thought it would be more expensive, so I put that off. I may make that happen in the close future. With the ISR, can you finally reach the spark plugs?
Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Duck tape will work in a pinch......depending on how bad it ripped. Use narrow strips as opposed to the full width. That way it wraps around better/more securely without kinking up. I've done this successfully. Lasted a good while, too.
The hose was a gonner.. It ripped in two complete pieces right at the bend: one which surrounded the throttle intake, and the remainder.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Texas91Runner
Wow, that cheap? I thought it would be more expensive, so I put that off. I may make that happen in the close future. With the ISR, can you finally reach the spark plugs?
Depends on how you do it, what you use, and the resulting bend in the intake tube. I used electrical conduit with a 45* bend. It doesn't afford much room for reaching plugs or even the dipsticks, but it was inexpensive and works well, so there......hehehe.

Search "ISR mod".
Old 03-23-2009, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same exact thing happened to me, man.

i fixed things up with some spectre tubing. havent hooked the oil blowback line back up, though
Old 03-23-2009, 10:33 PM

Depends on how you do it, what you use, and the resulting bend in the intake tube. I used electrical conduit with a 45* bend. It doesn't afford much room for reaching plugs or even the dipsticks, but it was inexpensive and works well, so there......hehehe.

Search "ISR mod".
I'll do some research. I bet it's easier to remove the mod than the original, in case I ever do need to!

After I complete my sound system, I'll look into putting some money there.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Squeebs
same exact thing happened to me, man.

i fixed things up with some spectre tubing. havent hooked the oil blowback line back up, though
It's pretty disappointing, huh? Does it run fine without the hose?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
runs just like it did before...
Old 03-24-2009, 06:49 PM

My 3.Slow is up and running, along with the full intake hosing.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:56 PM

Nice! <<<high five>>>>
Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Um....I had a 95 toyota 4runner and did not have to remove intake to get to plugs... you gotta know what your doin and save that kinda hastle. Unless your hands are ing monsters you should have been able to do it with out removing intake. so u ed up
Old 03-25-2009, 07:38 PM

Nice! <<<high five>>>>
I'm just glad I got my TOY back!

Quick Reply: Engine dead after tune-up!?