86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

engine code 6, truck runs fine.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine code 6, truck runs fine.

Hey guys so im stumped, i have a 1988 toyota 4runner brand new engine, 22re less then 1000 miles on a fresh rebuild, marlin crawler 261 cam, bored .020 over, trailgear rock ripper header, GM 1 wire alternator and all that good jazz. Now the truck just went through a carb to efi conversion, swap took me 3 months, finally get the bastard running good and go to check the codes, code 6 comes up, the rpm signal. all the efi parts came off of an 86 pu. what bugs me is that the truck runs and drives fine, and to my understanding if the ignitor or ecu is bad the truck should run like crap, so just the be safe i replaced the ignitor, code 1 came up for normal operation (no codes thrown) and then i start it and the damned check light is still on, sure as hell code 6 shows up again, and yes i disconnected the battery to reset the ecu, im stumped, and like i said the truck runs fine. any help or insite would be GREATLY appreciated. THANKS GUYS!!
Old 09-22-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine had that code once and the shear pin inside the dizzy broke. Thank god the shear pin broke so it limited the damage to just the dizzy. Anyways, I had to get a new dizzy and I had the code reappear. It was because the air gap on the signal generator had to be set. I forgot what the gap needed to be but once I set it, it's been fine sense. Might want to look up what the gap is and give it a shot.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snobdds
Mine had that code once and the shear pin inside the dizzy broke. Thank god the shear pin broke so it limited the damage to just the dizzy. Anyways, I had to get a new dizzy and I had the code reappear. It was because the air gap on the signal generator had to be set. I forgot what the gap needed to be but once I set it, it's been fine sense. Might want to look up what the gap is and give it a shot.
did yours throw the code but still run fine? my shear pin is still intact and the gap looks right, about .053 is what its supposed to be i believe, i cant for the life of me figure this out.