Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

EMS Offroad Tire Carrier Kits any good?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up EMS Offroad Tire Carrier Kits any good?

Getting reading to do a rear bumper build and came across EMS Offroad. Does anyone here have any experience with their spindle that they use for their swing out kit? Did lots of searching but didn't find much info on it. Here is a link to the kit. http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/inde...roducts_id=181
Old 10-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
For $100 that's not a bad kit to fab your own junk up with!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:03 PM

Yeah. The price is a good deal for sure. Just wondering if anyone had any reviews on the spindle.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There was an fj40 at my work, that looks like the exact same kit he used to build his bumper. My buddies and i were admiring it, it was a solid setup.
Oh and it was supporting a 35" tire, hilift, shovel, ax, and had a jerry can mount, so im assuming he carried one of them too.

Not my rig so i dont have any pictures or anything, but from what i could tell it was solid.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
the EMS kit is probably the most complete you will find.
Using the spindle as the hinge is pretty common. I used a rockstomper kit on mine.
That being said did a little further research and found that there had been cases of spindles failing...I would not recommend putting much more than the tire on it...

the link to a jeep forum thread showing a spindle sheered has been deactivated, but ScottyC mentioned this on Pirate:
Originally Posted by AddictedOffroad
Seen a few Rockstomper type hinges fail. They are not designed for the vibes and side load a tire carrier will see and they fail right above where they are welded into the tubing.

I recently built an FJ80 tire carrier using the Iron Pig swing out. I must say that its a damn good price, and stout as hell. There is no need for a bearing in a tire carrier swing. The Iron Pig using brass bushings and two collars, and its a damn nice design, and much thicker than the 3500lb trailer spindle type setups.

http://www.ironpigoffroad.com/fab/diy.shtml
edit: found an updated link for the Iron PIG OR kit: http://www.ironpigoffroad.com//index...products_id=74

another good kit, but a bit expensive is one from 4x4 laBS: http://www.4x4labs.com/products/rear...r-bumper-kits/
looks down towards the bottom of the website

I would like to redo my swing out to a double shear...i am running a 3/8" cable through the tire carrier just in case of failure on the highway...

Last edited by dropzone; 10-19-2010 at 09:05 PM. Reason: found an updated link
Old 10-20-2010, 04:51 AM

Thanks guys, for the replies.

I was defenitely worried about the spindle breaking. I'm going to be adding a tire and 2 jerry cans, so it was of concern. I did see pics on the net where it came right off at the weld. The metal has to cool slowly or it will become brittle and snap,from what I was told. Also another point of concern was that there would need to be some type of support under the swing gate so when latched there would be no up and down movement when off roading. EMS kit includes a piece for that.

I know some companies use a 1000lbs rated spindle and others use a 1750lbs rated spindle, but i'm reconsidering not using one.

I am really looking at the one by Iron Pig Offroad. If Scotty said that, they must be pretty good. This is what I almost initially ordered, but found the EMS kit and it was cheap with everything.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:04 AM

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts
Dont have a pic of the sleeve... but

Thanks to Jeff at badland bumpers for selling me this, the spindle has a sleeve that it slides into, so you weld the sleeve to the bumper, slide the spindle in, and just weld the very bottom of the sleeve to the spindle. That way the spindles strength is not ruined from the heat of welding.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:16 AM

I used a D44 spindle/hub assembly for my swing out tire pivot on my Bronco. No problems breaking that! Plus, I have an extra locking hub should I break one and as an added benefit, I can swing the tire out and lock it into place, without it swing all over the place or into another vehicle.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by cracker_1
I used a D44 spindle/hub assembly for my swing out tire pivot on my Bronco. No problems breaking that! Plus, I have an extra locking hub should I break one and as an added benefit, I can swing the tire out and lock it into place, without it swing all over the place or into another vehicle.
Lets see some pics.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:34 AM

Would you be able to put that EMS kit onto a stock bumper for a '95 4Runner?
If so, would it require any welding?
Old 05-09-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by kicker72
Getting reading to do a rear bumper build and came across EMS Offroad. Does anyone here have any experience with their spindle that they use for their swing out kit? Did lots of searching but didn't find much info on it. Here is a link to the kit. http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/inde...roducts_id=181
Did you ever end up getting this? If so, how did it work out for you. I would be interested in getting one.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:22 PM

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by shane_neddy
Would you be able to put that EMS kit onto a stock bumper for a '95 4Runner?
If so, would it require any welding?
The stock bumper is not strong enough by itself without reinforcment. Its basically sheet metal.

Yes, most modifications you would need to make it work, with metal, would need welding. If not the actual attachment to the bumper, than the manufacturing of the swingout itself.

If you want something you dont have to weld, but want it bolt on. Buy one

-Matt
www.perkinsperformance.com