Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Emissions problem or idiot tech?

Old 05-30-2009, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Emissions problem or idiot tech?

My wife took the runner to be smogged today and the Tech failed the truck (after it passed the sniffer test) saying that it was supposed to have 2 catalytic converters.

The truck only has a single catalytic converter, and to my knowledge always has. Never had a problem passing emissions since 95. I do have paperwork that the previous owner had the cat replaced (at a Toyota dealership no less).

The smog tech is sighting the emissions label under the hood, claiming the truck should have 2 cats because the label says "TWC+TWC". So now I have to go appeal to the smog people at the DMV.

Have any of you run into this problem? How many cats do other 95 owners have?

Last edited by TehDago; 06-04-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Most of the people that work at these smog places are barely smart enough to spell there own names, and know nothing about most of the vehicles they are testing, and because of that lack you now have to go to dmv and deal with the idiots there that know less than the smog tech moron.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:09 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
1995 3.0 and 22re have only 1 cat that I am aware of. THe Tech is retarded I think.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yep. Only one converter. Not sure where you're at... Sin City implies Las Vegas but... even then only one converter.

TWC means "Three way catalyst"- reduces NOx emissions to molecular nitrogen and oxygen, oxidizes carbon monoxide to carbon dioxide, and oxidizes unburned hydrocarbons to carbon dioxide and water.

File a complaint with the DMV, Better Business Bureau and anyone you can think of... Bureau of Automotive Repair, etc. Matter of fact, file a lawsuit against the test station while you're at it.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:32 PM

Thanks guys. I was pretty sure that I and my mechanic buddy are not crazy.

The district manager was there when this all went down. He told me if the smog ref passes the truck he will refund my money, and resmog it for free. This was after he wasted 30 minutes of my time being an arsehole (I don't back down). Unfortunately the damage was done in the beginning... right after I told him NOT to send the fail report through the computer until we could solve this he sent it.

I am already posting negative reviews online, and filing multiple complaints.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just your typical A hole from Vegas! Just take your truck down to the emissions lab at the main DMV located on E.Sahara. They will check it out there for you. It sucks that you have to correct his problem now. What smog place was it?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:35 PM

Jiffy Smog on W Sahara and Rainbow. Already gave them a negative rating on yelp and google. Will file a complaint with the BBB on Monday. My wife will be going to the DMV on Monday to take care of this and the (now late) registration.

I really wish all this migratory A-Holes would just go back to California and stop ruining our fine city.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by TehDago

I really wish all this migratory A-Holes would just go back to California and stop ruining our fine city.
That's going to open up a can of worms.

Las Vegas is a fine city? Nope, not anymore! This town was great 15-20 years ago & I'm sure it was even better before that! I have watched this place go from being a quiet little town into this crap hole that it is today. I wish I could turn back the clock. Now a days you have gang bangers, drug dealers, pimps, hookers & illegal aliens criminals everywhere in this town. I'm sure that the same thing could be said for Los Angeles 50 years ago too.

The good ol days when the mob ran things are long gone.

I have found a good smog guy that I have been going to for years & won't go anywhere else. He's an older guy who will actually take the time to talk to you & he's friendly like back in the old days. He's located at the corner of Nellis/Stewart (Maxi Smog) Across town from you though if your on W. Sahara. Anyways take care & good luck. Let us know what happens. Most likely just some newbee at the Jiffy smog who didn't know his vehicles yet. The boss should have stepped in & handled things.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:22 PM

I'm a native so my view is skewed. I remember the Vegas of 15-20 years ago, before people started treating it as another suburb of LA. Look... I'm not saying people from Southern California aren't welcome, but if all they are going to do while they are here is trash our city and complain that "SoCal" is so much better, well... they are welcome to go back from whence they came!

I've always taken my car to Terrible Herbst for smog and they have always done right by me. My wife went to Jiffy Smog to save time since they will do the registration onsite as well.

Unfortunately of the 2 guys there the District Manager was the bigger jerk of the two.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:27 PM

I hear what your saying! I agree.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:48 PM

I take offense to the California comments. Don't lump as all together as ecofreaks. And who's to say the tech was from Cali? I've been to LV and seen more than my fair share of freaks. Trust me- they're everywhere.

Get ready though, things are going to get worse for everyone's emissions: proposals are on the blocks for Cali emissions standards to go nationwide. If it goes through, blame the fed, not us.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:00 PM

<---is not an ecofreak, just a freak who's a PROUD Southern Californian, thank you very much!!!!!!! And I been to Vegas.....and....lol!

Old 05-31-2009, 07:07 PM

LOL... you guys are quite obviously not who I was referring to. I didn't lump anyone together aside from a certain subset of people that were well clarified in my post.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:56 PM

Been doing a little research and it appears "TWC+TWC" refers to a type of converter design intended to extend the life of the converter, in particular the rhodium based catalyst section.
It consists of two stages- the first half being a palladium based catalyst which operates as a three-way catalyst and the second half being the traditional platinum and rhodium based three-way catalyst.
It's sometimes written as "TWC/TWC", particularly on the converter manufacturer's specs.

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-31-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:02 PM

so basically, it's like having 2 cats in 1 housing.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:10 PM

Good looking out abecedarian. I tried to do some research on tehgoogle, but I didn't come up with much informative that I would be able to hand to the tech at the DMV.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
so basically, it's like having 2 cats in 1 housing.
that's exactly what it is.
From what I could gather, rhodium is a more effective catalyst but at high temps, like from a lean mixture, it starts to react with the support structure and begins to degrade. (Another reason to have egr? )
To overcome that, the manufacturers either have to add more rhodium at a significant cost or add the cheaper, less effective, but more durable palladium section so there was less work for the rhodium to do.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
Get ready though, things are going to get worse for everyone's emissions: proposals are on the blocks for Cali emissions standards to go nationwide. If it goes through, blame the fed, not us.
Thats funny. Fairbanks (AK) might be getting rid of its emission testing except for nov-dec.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
that's exactly what it is.
From what I could gather, rhodium is a more effective catalyst but at high temps, like from a lean mixture, it starts to react with the support structure and begins to degrade. (Another reason to have egr? )
To overcome that, the manufacturers either have to add more rhodium at a significant cost or add the cheaper, less effective, but more durable palladium section so there was less work for the rhodium to do.
Abe, never let it be said that your anal-retentive attention to detail never yielded positive results.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:24 PM

All is well.

Wife took the truck to the DMV. The tech at the DMV said the smog tech was an idiot, and if he had looked up the truck in his book (which is apparently provided to all smog stations by the state) he would have seen that it only requires a single cat.

My wife took the truck back to the Jiffy Smog. They issued her a refund, and refused to give her a free smog. Which they had promised us on Saturday. This time she dealt with the owner of that station.

Their corporate office will certainly hear. About the rudeness and incompetence of their shop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Emissions problem or idiot tech?