Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Embarking on a HG journey...

Old 12-14-2014, 11:52 AM
bg_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Embarking on a HG journey...

What's up Yotatech? Long time lurker first time poster here. I recently purchased a 95 4Runner, 3.0 4x4, for a song, and it was running great until it popped a HG a couple days back. I'm fortunate that the leak is external (literally shooting out at the firewall on drivers side).

So, weighing my options, I turned to this site. Really dont want to sell her since shes got relatively low miles (146K) and a clean frame...a rarity for the northeast). I certainly don't have the experience, but I think i'll go against my better judgment and dive in on this HG repair anyway. I've read through some build threads and have been trying to compile a parts list.

Gasket set (I see that engnbldr comes highly recommended, but also read that some folks are going oem. Others rock auto. Thoughts?)
Water pump/timing belt are on the list as well, but not sure as to the best source...
Have heard to replace idler pulley?
Heads/valves will be headed to the machine shop (I also have read of some increasing valve size?)
Knock sensor/wire
Thermostat
Thorley headers (found them used for cheap)

Anything else those that have been there, done that would recommend??

I apologize in advance for the novice questions (surely more to come), and i'll do my best to search and try and answer my own questions. I have a good foundation in wrenching, but this is by far the biggest job I will have ever attempted, and will definitely need the wisdom on this site. Thanks for your (anticipated) help!
Attached Thumbnails Embarking on a HG journey...-imag0800.jpg  
Old 12-14-2014, 07:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Lots of little coolant hoses and vacuum hoses that would be much easier to replace with the intake off. One looks like a candy cane in shape. I was fortunate enough to get one from the dealer, and it wasn't very expensive. The PCV valve, hose, and grommet are also much easier to do with the intake off.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:49 PM
bg_

Thanks nv4runner, I had forgotten about that bypass hose. I seen to recall it being pretty pricey from the dealer, and I'm already spread pretty thin with the header purchase. Any way I could get some hose and bend it? Anyway I'll try and replace them if they are looking brittle...same goes for the belts. I also decided id get the injectors sent out for cleaning/testing...I'm thinking cruzin?

Finally, what's a ballpark figure for decking the heads, doing the valves & adjusting (i guess they need the cams for that). Not really sure what all that will entail...sorry for the noobishness!

Last edited by bg_; 12-16-2014 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:38 PM
bg_

I went ahead and purchased engnbldr's gasket kit and a timing belt. Two things crossed off the list! Also called a local machine shop and was quoted a ballpark $320, for pressure testing, decking, grinding valves, setting lash and whatever else needs to be done. Sounds reasonable to me, but i'm going to keep calling around. Also, I'm starting to think that maybe the headers are a bad idea after calling an exhaust shop and getting quoted $600+ for the cross over ill need fabbed and the cat back. I suppose that may be a reasonable estimate but all these $$$$ are making my head spin.

Any advice on purchasing a water pump? I know oem is prob best, but this seems like a part I could get away with going non-oem?
Old 12-16-2014, 06:39 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
The problem with cheaping out on the water pump is that it's a huge job to replace, just for itself. You want one that will go the life of the timing belt, since you pretty much have to remove the timing belt to get to the pump.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:19 AM
bg_

Thanks RJR, yeah I know I should just pony up on dealer items for this. I guess I can rationalize that with the money I'll be saving doing this repair myself.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:06 PM
bg_

So I've been at it for a little while now and have been making slow, but steady, progress. I took my time and labeled every wire, hose, and part I removed, as well as taking notes and lots of pics. I'll be taking the fuel rails off tomorrow and keep on truckin.

A couple of speed bumps I hit along the way:

First, I rounded off the bolt that sits in the adjustment channel for the power steering pump. Sawzall fixed it.
Next, I bought my used headers (thorley) which are sweet, but the guy I bought them from did the EGR/PAIR block off and welded some quarters over the ports. SO, I kinda got forced into doing an EGR block off, not my preference but I guess I gotta just run with it. Unfortunately (maybe) I got a little annoyed when removing the EGR from the Plenum (the damn thing sticks in there a foot!) and just sawzalled that pipe as well! (the part that's actually in the plenum)
Frustration + sawzall = bad decisions

Can anyone explain how to disconnect the fuel line on the rear pass. side fuel rail? It looks like the rubber line is just shoved into a connection with the hard line? I'll try and get a pic up in the morning.

So anyway just wanted to give an update/ report that I feel like I may be getting in over my head with this one.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:04 AM

Another thing youll want to replace is the head studs. You dont want to reusue them unless you want to replace the head gaskets again in the future. I bought mine from engnbldr for pretty cheap.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:14 AM
bg_

Thanks drmix, yeah I actually just got my engnbldr kit, and I bought the headbolts. So far I have purchased:
Valve grind gasket kit, timing belt, and headbolts from engnbldr
All oem water pump, idler pulleys, and hydro tensioner from autohausaz
Thorley headers

I know im going to need crush washers for the injectors (which I am still debating on sending out or not). I also found that the little green F shaped valve on the rear of the intake (VSVS or something?) has both ports broken off, so I may or may not need to replace that with the whole EGR blockoff thing. Just gonna cross that bridge when I get to it.

I've been taking tons of pics...they will be uploaded tonight in case somebody is in a similar situation and needs a visual.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:33 AM
bg_

Thought I'd give a little sitrep. So I got the heads back from the machine shop cleaned, decked, and with a full valve job. A little pricey but he was close and came recommended. So I got those put on, as well as the camshafts and VC's. As a side, I have to say that the 2x4 DIY SST design for the camshafts (the one where you use the old timing belt screwed into one side, then wrap around cam sprocket) is definitely the cheapest and easiest tool for this job. I dont remember who thought it up, but A+ for simplicity and effectiveness.

As it sits right now, I have the plenum back on and just finished the timing belt last night. I would have just buttoned it up last night but I cant use the stock exhaust gaskets with these headers. (Actually, I can...BUT - I used my dremel and cut the parts that "bubble" out on the gaskets. Then when I went to install, the heat shield made it so difficult for one man to hold the header in place, while lining up the gasket, and screw in the studs that I just said ˟˟˟˟ it! SO I ordered a remflex gasket and now I wait for delivery.

Another thing I'd like to throw out there Is that the engnbldr gasket set is pretty crappy quality. His service and willingness to help are second to none, but his gaskets are the same as all the other super cheap ebay kits. I was a little disappointed by this, especially when the head gasket's "liner?" (not sure what that white strip of what appears to be some kind of sealant was) was knicked and chipped on both sides. Some of the others were crooked to the point it was funny, and most are just cheap thin paper. Anyway, the price was right for what I got I guess, just wanted others to know that his gleaming reputation on this site is NOT because of his gasket kits.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:56 AM
bg_

It's alive! Im sure people are sick of 3vze head gasket stories by now, but I just wanted to report that I completed the job and everything is in working order. It definitely took longer than I initially anticipated (about 1 month worth of weekends), but I tried to take my time and do it right. In the end, I probably spent close to 1k, BUT, I replaced a bunch of parts that wouldn't otherwise have been touched if I had someone else do it, and I got the experience (O, and some sweet headers). Overall, If you find yourself in this position, I'd say just do your research and dive in...when you first fire it up after it's all worth it. And of course, I couldn't have done this without the wisdom available here. THANKS YT.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:59 AM
bg_

O yeah, I took a bunch of pics of the whole process, but there are already quite a few threads here which detail the process far better than I could. That said, If anyone has been searching but not finding a certain angle or something, I'd be glad to post whatever.