Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Electrical Problem. Need Help!!

Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical Problem. Need Help!!

Hi All,
I have a 1989 Toyota Pickup 4wd 22re, On the way back from Lake Tahoe about halfway into the trip my my truck began to sputter on hills and the headlights would dim and the radio cut out. I found if I was light on the gas I could get over most hills and I was able to limp back to within 50 miles of my house where my truck died completely in a gas station parking lot. I got towed home (thanks to AAA) and assuming it was the alternator (specifically the brushes) pulled out the alternator and took it to get it tested. When I got it tested they told me that it appeared to be running at the right amperage but the brushes could still be worn down and that could be the problem. I replaced the brushes and the truck ran fine for about 30 days before I started experiencing the same symptoms (sputtering on hills and while accelerating, dim headlights, radio cutting out, and eventually a dead battery). I tried jump start the car and it would turn on but than sputter shake violently and die a couple minutes later.

This all happened between march and may, since than my truck has just been sitting, i haven't needed it, I have been commuting everywhere by bike. But since school is starting in a couple weeks (40 mile commute) I will need my truck again.

I'm pretty lost as to what might be the problem or how to begin determining what the problem is. My first thought was that I reinstalled the Alternator incorrectly but it ran fine for a month so that doesn't seem likely. It also doesn't seem like the alternator is the problem since replacing the brushes fixed the problem.

If anyone has any input into what might be going on or how I could troubleshoot the problem it would be much appreciated.

thanks
Old 08-14-2010, 08:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm not terribly educated in this department yet, but maybe this will help you get started troubleshooting:

http://autoshop101.com/forms/h8.pdf
Old 08-15-2010, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
much appreciated thook, i will get right on reading that, looks like some useful info even if it doesnt resolve my problem. If anyone else has ideas don't hesitate to chime in.
Old 08-15-2010, 01:35 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Exclamation

Inspect your battery terminals

Look real close and maybe think about up grading your ground cables

Are you getting a charge light failure light coming on when this happens??

Does your truck have a voltmeter in the gauge cluster?? What happens to this as the problem happens??

It sounds like to me your voltage drops and the ecu shuts off.

You may now have a different problem not related to the first .

How many miles ??

If the normal over 100,000 has the timing chain been changed ??

A hard all to make on line. But most times an electrical problem wouldn`t cause the shuddering and shaking and then stalling fuel or timing ignition perhaps!!!

Call in some local help for moral support

Good Luck
Old 08-15-2010, 03:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would check your Ground cables. I am thinking the problem lies when you are pulling a hill you are downshifting causing the engine to torque over causing a break in the ground shorting out the system.

Last edited by SoCal; 08-15-2010 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i agree with checking the ground cables ,the battery and the block to frame grounds . it would also be a good idea to check the ground wires in the engine compartment. i had a nissan that would shut down intermediately and it turn out to be a dist ground. the po had spent a lot of money trying to fix it. i think there was someone on here had a similar problem and it was connection problem around the igniter/coil area. try moving wires while it is running to see if it will act up.

Last edited by swampfox; 08-15-2010 at 06:25 AM.