Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Electrical issue with display and starting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 04:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical issue with display and starting?

I have a 1990 4runner 3vz and just today I ran into a weird issue. I started my truck and I could hear a humming through the radio. I switched stations and I could hear feedback on every channel and on both am and fm. Driving my truck around the block the humming was consistent with acceleration, it would humm louder the more gas you gave and less when lifting your foot off of the gas. All of my gauges looked fine, the idle was normal, battery level ok and gas along with oil and temperature gauges registering normal. I turned my truck of to restart it and it totally died. No beep sound when you pull the key, no clutch kill, the hazard button make a clicking noise like a motor sound behind the RPM dial when you push it. The dome light and the above rear view mirror lights both work when turned on but when you open the door to have the door turn the lights on they go dime or off completely. I checked all the fusses on the driver side and under the hood and everything checks out fine. The rear window works fine with the key, but when you go to turn on the lights in the dash they flicker but go out right away. The only thing you can faintly see is a dull brake light and seat belt light illumination. I tried jumping it but no luck, I also took my battery into Kragen and they tested it to be fine. I really didn't think it was the battery, coil or alternator just because I still have full power for the window and internal lights. They mentioned something about the 90-96 toyotas have an ignition issue where the key actually goes into the column on the steering wheel possibly being bad. I googled it but didn't find my info. Does anyone have any clues or suggestions for attacking this issue? If you do have to replace the starter ignition in on the steering column is there a way you can do it without re-keying all the doors?

Last edited by regnar11b; 11-19-2010 at 04:22 PM.