86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electrical gremlins in 93 4Runner 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical gremlins in 93 4Runner 3.0

This is for anyone stymied by a host of electrical issues. I have recently had a bunch of odd things happening....with the end result being the engine would momentarily shut off and go on again while driving or just simply shut off. It started getting worse and would do it whenever there was an electrical load, such as turn signals, turning the lights on, opening or shutting the door, locking them, radio, putting the brakes on--you name it. My mechanic hooked up an extra ground that was already hanging by the battery but never used (by me) and voila! Everything is working correctly. My bright beams are even working again and they hadn't worked in 6 months. So this was a problem long in the making. His explanation was that the electronics on these are sensitive and so a weak ground can wreak havoc on the system. I'm glad it was a simple fix. (But now he said the front right 4wd bearing is probably going out....always something.) I hope this might help anyone with the same issue.

Post note: the problems are back and worse than ever. Today I passed a vehicle, turning my left blinker on to pass and as I turned the right blinker on, total shut-down. I coasted for a ways for a place to pull over--5 or 6 seconds with everything totally off, no electrical at all-- then put on the brakes to slow down and everything, including the engine, came on again. I kept driving with no more problems.
Will be taking it to my mechanic next week to figure this out. Any ideas?

Last edited by Coyote Kid; 01-08-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: new information