86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Electrical Gremlin 87 4runner SR5 5speed 22re

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:48 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Electrical Gremlin 87 4runner SR5 5speed 22re

87 4runner SR5 5speed 22re. Some time last week I was driving and honked my horn. Then next time I went to honk it, nothing happened. thought I blew a fuse, hadn't really thought about it. Then a buddy was following me home the other day and told me that my brake lights weren't working. I went looking for blown fuses and Im not coming up with anything. I don't know if the horn and brake lights are connected in some way, but they did happen around the same time. If anyone has any ideas that would be great. Not good with electrics, not really sure where to start.

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 06-09-2010, 05:00 AM

ahhhh no one? Dam. Alright. So I cant find a blown fuse so its time to start looking elsewhere. It was poring last night so I couldant go look. So hopefully I can get some time tonight.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:35 AM

Ok, did a little more. Found our that I have NO power going to the fuse block for the break lights. So heres my question. Where does the power come from? Does it come from the battery, then to the brake peddle switch then tail lights?

Thanks,
Caleb
Old 07-12-2010, 05:50 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you have a trailer hitch wiring harness? Often they get cut or damaged, short out and kill your brake lights. Seen it many times.

Did you visually inspect all your fuses? How about replace the one for your horn with a new one? Sometimes fuses are blown but don't appear to be.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:09 AM

It did have trailer harness on it. Ill check where I pulled it back off. Would that kill power before the fuse block tho? And my horn started working again....

And thanks for the quick reply!
Old 11-22-2010, 12:18 PM

I think I have it figured out. Finally got time to work on this. Attacked the wires with a volt meter and a test light. I think that its the switch on the break pedal that died. One will be here tomorrow. Hope it works, I need to get it inspected in december.

And the horn still works, so dont know what happened there.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:25 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
I know one of my horn switches works intermittently, its probably just some dirty contacts in the switch. I do know that the horn and hazard fuse is the same though. Didn't know that till I found out one day my hazards weren't working, I thought ok it's just the flasher relay that went out, no big deal I still got turn signals. Thinking the fuse was a part of the turn signals. WRONG !!! haha. Then I went to use my horn for some reason (damn PA drivers) and that didn't work, I was like WTF??? Went use the hood and low and behold, blown fuse. Fixed that and hazards and horn (at least one of the two buttons anyway) now works haha.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:02 AM

Put the new switch in. I have break lights again!! Looks like the trucks finally all legal again! Ready for as sticker! The switch was 10$ and the parts store.

oh boy. exciting. haha.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome - glad it was that simple

Had a similar issue on my Datsun - battery kept dying and when I jumped it, the brake lights stayed on....and then stayed on after I turned off the car....and then the battery died again. Turned out the rubber brommet on the brake pedal that makes contact with the brake switch had desintegrated, meaning the brake switch was never pushed in, and constant power was going to my brake lights! $2.83 at the Nissan dealer

I'm going to threadjack, since you already solved your problem....hope you don't mind

My dome lights don't work anymore - the ones by mirror and in middle of cab ceiling - all fuses are intact - I took every one out and tested them. Plus, nothing else on the same circuit is broken. Any ideas where to start? I recently installed a passenger power window motor and blew my fuse for my flashers and horn - but replaced that and those work fine. Like I said, all fuses are kosher and the bulbs look fine.

Please help!
Old 11-24-2010, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good job Re Re! Philbert, I dont know the answer for you. Have you put a test light to the dome light? Have you tried the different setting on the dome light like manual setting vs door? I just got my dome light working recently. The bulb looked good, but was bad.

im battling electric gremlins too, but not on any features that are a must.(Double hi-jack!) Still, its my baby and since I cant afford a new truck, I want it working! my deck light works sometimes and other times it doesnt. I have verified it is not always getting current to the switch. And still trying to figure out the rear window defroster. Has 12v on one of the connectors at the glass, but not the other. WIth the time change, I have have time to SEE to work on it during the weekend.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I havne't done the test light....I have one but honestly don't know how to use it (facepalm of embarassment...).

I've tried different swtich settings - no change.