Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Electric-No power-randomness

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric-No power-randomness

History: Battery mount came loose on washboard road, somehow negative post clamp broke. Truck wouldn't start. Bumped started it, went into town, bought a new clamp, thought I fixed it.

Later that day, it does it again. Absolutely no power to anything. Running lights won't even turn on. Then, it starts. Because nothing happens when I turn the key, I can't even bump start it.

I replaced the ignition module today, no dice. Checked the four engine grounds, no dice.

It is almost as if the power is getting cut off immediately after it leaves the battery, because absolutely nothing works. No hazards, no running lights, no headlights.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by trackhead; 07-06-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Did you check all the fuses ?. There is an ignition fuse in the fuse box behind the drivers side kick panel, if its bad your truck won`t start. Check all of the fuses with a meter because sometimes a blown fuse can still look good, but its bad.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 PM

I would check all the connections on the fuse block under the hood, I had a bad connection on a power wire on one of the fuses, so no power was going anywhere, just my thoughts and experiences.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:55 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Personally, I'd start at the fuse box inside the engine compartment. And yes, use a meter. My guess is that you also broke one of the big leads to the engine fuse panel. Or maybe the 80A fuse. A meter will tell you quickly.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X2 on checking everything with a meter, there is a lot to be checked, make sure the smaller wire that comes off your positive that goes to the fuse box under your hood is good. Make sure all your other grounds are good, you may have good grounds coming off the engine and going to the body but your battery is grounded on the body at the fender and if that is bad, your engine grounds wont do a darn bit of good.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The large wire (I think is 4 or 6 gauge) to the underhood fuse block is known to corrode inside and it has many fine strands that break easily once the corrosion sets in.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:50 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

Just how did you fix your broken battery terminal??

Get one of those cheap quick fix ones that clamp the cable to the terminal with two small bolts.

I would be willing to bet your not getting a ground so nothing will work.

Because if the ground terminal hit anything you should not have had any major sparks.

Now it is possible when your battery was bouncing around it may have caused damage to the positive cables or even the fusible links.

Happy hunting.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:49 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

Damn thing started this morning, then it tempts you into driving it, but until I find the smoking gun............

I will check all things posted.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 AM

Fixed it.

Hot line from + battery terminal to 80a fuse took a hit when the battery was loose. It was only reading 4-8v at input. New wire and connectors, good to go.