Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ECU Tuning

Old 04-25-2007, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ECU Tuning

Couldn't find a category that looked like this should go in so here it is.

Do any of you have information on reprogramming the Toyota ECU's? Specifically, I'm interested in installing a writable EPROM in my '94 P/U with the 22RE motor. I have this capability on my Infiniti but haven't found info for the Toyota yet. I think there is some good performance and/or economy to be extracted from these motors if I can get access to the fuel maps and related areas of the ECU.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:52 AM

Pretty sure this is home computer (PC) talk but, sounds like you need to invest in a stand alone management system. SDS makes a couple for the 22RE.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
(I moved the thread)

I don't of anyone that's successfully blasted a new PROM for the ECU "in the wild", though JET of course does it for WAAAAAAYYYYYYYY too much money.

Depending on what you're looking to do, a replacement stand-alone ECU will get you there (SDS, MegaSquirt, and others) but you may be able to tweak what you have with just a piggyback like a SplitSecond FTC1E or PerfectPower SMT6.

The short form is that there's definitely power to be found in some timing advance and fuel tweaks, how you get there can either cost you a little or a lot.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont think anyone that's talking knows how to program the 22RE. I haven't looked across the years, but I wouldn't doubt if the EEPROMs differ late/early..

The programming that JET does.. well, I have yet to see dyno results.
IF you want more timing, advance your base timing.

Fuel..well.. again - try to find someone who has done a successful piggyback.. IE SMT6. I haven't found anyone that's liked the results.

Megasquirt can replace that ECU - cost is between $150-$300 (build vs buy) - SDS and FAST start at about $1500 complete.
ECU replacement is unnecessary until you do significant internal mods or go to forced induction.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:06 PM

Where Can I Program My Computer, I Have All These Mods And Need Help

1990 Toyota Sr5 Pickup 4x4
22re Engine

*lc Engineering Pro Stroker Engine
*lc Engineering Efi Pro Kit
*engbldr Cam 505 Lift 239 Duration
*lightened Aluminum Rocker Assembly
*lc Engineering Double Valve Spring Assembly W/ Titanuim Retainers And Locks
*lc Big Bore Throttle Body
*aem Cold Air Intake W/ K/n Air Filter
*oe 3vze V6 Injectors 19.6 Lbs
*aem Fuel Pressure Regulator
*pro Performance Power Chip
*snow Performance Water/methanol Injection System With Barometric Standalone Computer
*wiseco 80 Over 94.5 Mil.11.5/1 Compresson Pistons W/chromoly Rings
*new Balanced Crank Shaft Standard
*new Balanced Connecting Rods Standard
*kings Racing Main, Connecting, Thrust Bearings/washers
*fultz Machine Shop Milled .0015 Off Deck And .0030 Of Head
*ported And Polished Head
*gasket Matched Intake Manifold And Plenum
*teflon Intake Manifold Gaskets
*cometic .0012 94.5 Mil Custom High Compression Head Gasket
*lc Engineering Header 4 To 1 With Down Pipe
*flow Master Exaust System
*lc Engineering Hi Pressure / Flow Oil Pump
*itm Water Pump
*rock Timing Cover
*itm Timing Chain Set W/ Tenioner And Guides
*lc Engineering Adjustable Cam Shaft Timing Gear
Old 04-28-2007, 01:14 AM
Banned

In most cases your wasting your time, OBD1 ECU's are singleminded and set in there ways and the prom is serface mounted and there not reprogramable, You have to desolder, Make a daughterboard (if you want multiple reprograming) or socket a burn single use proms, But still a waste of time.
Toyota used a restricted use ECU on most there OBD1 vehicles and there tuning of them is pretty much set the best it can, Best thing to do is to mod all other engine components or fool the signals and let the ECU compensate.

I know where your going with this, And your best bet is to get an after market EMU/FMU Like the MegaSquirt and they have a have a set of tables for the 22RE that can be pre or loaded in or try to find a OBD2 EMU and harnes from another 4cyl and wire it in as you would prolly find one in the 2Liter range and most its setting already rdy.

ECU= Engine CONTROL Unit (Emphasis on control or should say Absolute Control Unit)
EMU= Engine Management Unit ( Does what it can with what its told to do)
FMU= Fuel Management Unit (Same as EMU)

Your Infinity is OBD2+ and can be reprogramed compleatly As most of todays cars.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:03 PM

Which is best, also need support

Okay, so I finally splurged on my kit from Toyota of Dallas. I just spent $2400 on the SC and $1050 on the 7th injector. I called TRD, and they said I don't need to tune anything. Of course, everyone on this board knows that's a bunch of b.s.

I figure my 2000 Limited (single-cat) is paid off, and instead of buying/trading it, I'll be willing to invest some money into refurbing and upgrading it. . . after all it still runs like the day I bought it.

So which ECU mod is the best? I know there's URD/SS, SMT, SDS, MegaSquirt, FAST, Greddy, Haltech, etc. . .

I've read about the reset button - something about the AFR sensor recalibrating, and I'd rather not go that route if I can avoid it. Will I run into that problem with my FED emissions rig?

How do I know which one to use?
Will I be the first person to pull this off (don't want to, this is me DD)?
What should I expect to pay?
Will any commercial outfit be able to support this application?
Will the 7th injector be able to be tuned with the aftermarket ECUs?

David
Old 05-05-2007, 10:13 PM

I suggest you do not alter your daily driver vehicle ECU. The chances of F.U.B.A.R. enforcing Murphy's law is extremely high.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by daytraitors
Okay, so I finally splurged on my kit from Toyota of Dallas. I just spent $2400 on the SC and $1050 on the 7th injector. I called TRD, and they said I don't need to tune anything. Of course, everyone on this board knows that's a bunch of b.s.

I figure my 2000 Limited (single-cat) is paid off, and instead of buying/trading it, I'll be willing to invest some money into refurbing and upgrading it. . . after all it still runs like the day I bought it.

So which ECU mod is the best? I know there's URD/SS, SMT, SDS, MegaSquirt, FAST, Greddy, Haltech, etc. . .

I've read about the reset button - something about the AFR sensor recalibrating, and I'd rather not go that route if I can avoid it. Will I run into that problem with my FED emissions rig?

How do I know which one to use?
Will I be the first person to pull this off (don't want to, this is me DD)?
What should I expect to pay?
Will any commercial outfit be able to support this application?
Will the 7th injector be able to be tuned with the aftermarket ECUs?

David
This is what you need if you all ready bought the 7th injector:
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.p...s_id=110000039

You'll also want a wide band A/F ratio gauge, OBDII scanner and a laptop to tune in all.

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-06-2007 at 05:26 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:15 PM

Dale,

I read about the Auterra scan tool. Is that the best cost-effective tool (< $400) on the market?

David
Old 05-07-2007, 12:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read about the Auterra scan tool. Is that the best cost-effective tool (< $400) on the market?
You'll get a number of opinions, personally, I like it a lot though it depends on what you're looking to do.

For example the Auterra will log data, but only internally and only a couple of pieces at a time.

I have 4 OBD II interfaces right now... Auterra, OBDiagnostics, AllInOneOBD2 and OBDPros, they're all different and will be good for different things.

The most flexible is the OBDPros box, it will allow you to see the data in RAW mode thus you can snoop and dig up PIDs for non-normal things (e.g., opening windows, unlocking doors, etc).

The most cost efficient is the OBDiagnostics, if you already have a laptop, you're in for under $100.

The Auterra is nice 'cause it's portable (runs on a Palm), but you'll have to have the Palm. I run mine on an old color that I picked up from eBay for $50. The Auterra also has a reasonable dyno and ET function on board.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dale,

David
Don't know, all I've used is the OBDiagnostics.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:05 PM

No one that I know about makes a programmable prom for the 22RE series.
You'll have to replace the ECU entirely or go about tricking it via modifing the resistance on the ECU coolant temp sensor, AFM, or other means of signal modification...