Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

EBAY HID Headlight kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EBAY HID Headlight kit

Has anybody used one of the HID headlight kits off Ebay that run around $80 or so. Any input would be appreciated such as how much more brighter they are and how reliable they may be. Or if theres a specific brand that may be better than others. The brands I was looking at were American Innovated Products or Advanced Aerosports.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:49 PM

If you're going to put them in a reflector housing, don't. Do a proper projector retrofit if you want HIDs, otherwise upgrade your headlight wiring and run some good halogens.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by BMcEL
If you're going to put them in a reflector housing, don't. Do a proper projector retrofit if you want HIDs, otherwise upgrade your headlight wiring and run some good halogens.
Does the upgraded harness really make that big of a difference using stock lamps
Old 01-05-2012, 08:54 PM

Yes! A proper harness with decent halogens work just as good.

--->> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51847095

or

--->> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ectors-245946/

Happy reading!
Old 01-05-2012, 08:54 PM

It depends on how bad your voltage drop is.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 PM

Just upgrade the wiring harness and get the H4 housing. I am in the process of doing it myself and have heard nothing but good things.

Heres the link from where I bought my H4 housing from.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=270381702877

Also heres a link that has pics of someone who just upgraded to the H4 housing without the wiring. What a difference it made.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...9/?ref=esp-img
Old 01-06-2012, 07:32 AM

Thanks guys I'll check them out.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:10 PM

I'm gonna buy some of them hid fake projectors off ebay soon even though I know you all hate it, it causes glare, has no cutoff, ect.

someday I'll do a proper retrofit with a real projector lense.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:21 PM

Im glad you dont live around me. Its bad enough when cars have them but to have a truck with them is even worse. Its an accident waiting to happen. Nothing like have oncoming traffic that cant see where they are going because they are blinded by your headlights
Old 01-06-2012, 02:22 PM

Please don't, but if you insist on running HIDs in reflector housings, at least get the Autopal e-code housings. The fake projector housings are crap no matter what bulb you put in them.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:04 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bmcel
please don't, but if you insist on running hids in reflector housings, at least get the autopal e-code housings. The fake projector housings are crap no matter what bulb you put in them.
+1 :-d
Old 01-06-2012, 04:18 PM

Please don't, but if you insist on running HIDs in reflector housings, at least get the Autopal e-code housings. The fake projector housings are crap no matter what bulb you put in them.
Not True...I run a set of these in my 87 yota...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/82-95-Toyota...item48437b655a

With this H4 HID kit...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-Xenon-Si...item19cac8dc7e

Trust me, I sell this stuff for a living to farmers who are putting these things in their off road trucks and row crop tractors. You can't go wrong with this company's products and their customer service is great, and fast shipping.

As for my setup...I have run multiple different types of HID kits, different housings, and everything in between. You wont be dissapointed by the projectors in that ad and getting 4300K bulbs allows you to have bright light even in dark / rainy situations where the bluer lights tend to suck. The projector lenses keep the bulbs from blinding oncoming traffic but will illuminate the road in front of you very, very well. HID's are worth every penny and for 30 bucks, you cant beat the value of those projectors.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by americanmcss
The projector lenses keep the bulbs from blinding oncoming traffic
WRONG

Those headlights scatter light. Some may go through the projector but most is scattered throughout the reflector pattern which isn't much of a pattern at all. You may have alot of light and are happy with your setup but the truth is that you are also blinding other drivers.

I know... I had the same lights that you did. I just did a retrofit the correct way.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ectors-245946/

Last edited by 93YotaGuy; 01-06-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:54 PM

The projector lenses keep the bulbs from blinding oncoming traffic but will illuminate the road in front of you very, very well.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by 93YotaGuy
WRONG

Those headlights scatter light. Some may go through the projector but most is scattered throughout the reflector pattern which isn't much of a pattern at all. You may have alot of light and are happy with your setup but the truth is that you are also blinding other drivers.

I know... I had the same lights that you did. I just did a retrofit the correct way.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ectors-245946/
Look...I'm not trying to get into a pissing match here. I have had a good experience with these housings, and I know that they don't cause any issues with on coming traffic, they just need to be aimed correctly. I live in a small town with a lot of cops: staters, sheriffs, and locals as well as border patrol and customs...if it were an issue someone would have told me or the cops would have pulled me over. I have met my own truck on the road while my wife was driving it and its no different than any other HID conversion out there. In fact, I had more issues with my old housings that weren't projector style, and they were only a 35w system.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:02 PM

Look...I'm not trying to get into a pissing match here.
Posting bad info is going to do just that.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The fail in this thread is amazing.

Originally Posted by streetlancer
Yes! A proper harness with decent halogens work just as good.

--->> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...l#post51847095

or

--->> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ectors-245946/

Happy reading!
Not as wide as a proper projector retrofit, but way brighter than stock for sure.

Originally Posted by FattMaanLittleTruck
I'm gonna buy some of them hid fake projectors off ebay soon even though I know you all hate it, it causes glare, has no cutoff, ect.

someday I'll do a proper retrofit with a real projector lense.
Fail.

Not True...I run a set of these in my 87 yota...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/82-95-Toyota...item48437b655a

With this H4 HID kit...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-Xenon-Si...item19cac8dc7e

Trust me, I sell this stuff for a living to farmers who are putting these things in their off road trucks and row crop tractors. You can't go wrong with this company's products and their customer service is great, and fast shipping.

As for my setup...I have run multiple different types of HID kits, different housings, and everything in between. You wont be dissapointed by the projectors in that ad and getting 4300K bulbs allows you to have bright light even in dark / rainy situations where the bluer lights tend to suck. The projector lenses keep the bulbs from blinding oncoming traffic but will illuminate the road in front of you very, very well. HID's are worth every penny and for 30 bucks, you cant beat the value of those projectors.
I just bought these exact same housings, specifically to cut apart and do a proper retrofit into. I can't believe the absolute crap quality that they are. If I weren't cutting them up, they wouldn't make it anywhere NEAR my truck. They are utter garbage. I mean, the REFLECTER is painted BLACK! (since I'm not using the reflector it didn't matter to me)

Do a proper retrofit, or don't put HIDs in the vehicle. It's that simple. And if your headlights are not blinding anyone, it's probably because you've got them aimed so low that they're rendered nearly unusable. Go to HIDplanet.com and check out what proper retrofits are capable of. Or the guy in this thread. I'll be sure to post pictures of mine when it's done.

Yes, I'm a bit of a lighting snob. Does it show?
Old 01-06-2012, 05:17 PM

Posting bad info is going to do just that.
Hahaha.....ok, ok, settle down buddy. Ill keep my mouth shut now. Good grief people get all defensive about this.

yer right im wrong......please accept my apology
Old 01-06-2012, 05:17 PM

Look...I'm not trying to get into a pissing match here. I have had a good experience with these housings, and I know that they don't cause any issues with on coming traffic, they just need to be aimed correctly. I live in a small town with a lot of cops: staters, sheriffs, and locals as well as border patrol and customs...if it were an issue someone would have told me or the cops would have pulled me over. I have met my own truck on the road while my wife was driving it and its no different than any other HID conversion out there. In fact, I had more issues with my old housings that weren't projector style, and they were only a 35w system.
I'm not trying to insult you. I just simply believe that the information you posted was incorrect.

Until someone crashes their car or you get a ticket I suppose you shouldn't worry about it right?

The other HID conversions you have seen that are similar are also blinding other drivers and pose a driving hazard for everyone on the road.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:24 AM

I never thought a simple question would cause so much trouble .. Sorry guys

Quick Reply: EBAY HID Headlight kit